Seidio Batteries - Extended Batteries

Guest DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

The quoted text at the bottom is a repost of another message I responded to in the Desire ROM thread. I didn't want to hijack that thread with a battery discussion, and I also wanted to see if I could catch more responses with my own topic.

In a nutshell, I'm wondering how many people have the Seidio 1600 or 2800 mah extended batteries for their Nexus One, and if they're satisfied with the performance.

I have both, and while you wouldn't expect a huge improvement in battery life going from 1400 to 1600 mah, I'm thinking the quality of the Seidio's isn't that great with the 1600. I'm going to run the stock 1400 again for a few days to see if I actually get more battery life out of it.

If you've got the 1600, could you chime in with your thoughts on how much battery life, more or less, you think you're getting with these?

I ran the 2800 battery for a week. I never used more than 50-60 percent of it in an 18 hour day, but the poor fit of the after-market battery cover and the lack of dust lens over the camera's raw components turns me off of using it as my regular daily battery.

I also noticed Seidio doesn't seem to be selling the 2800 now, looks like they've upgraded the big battery to 3200 mah. Has me drooling for all that juice, if only it didn't come in such a poor fitting package. :mellow:

I'm suffering from what I consider horrible battery life with every ROM I use, and every kernel, undervolted, overclocked/undervolted, stock, tck, etc.

I'm also using a Seidio 1600mah battery. I was starting to suspect those things aren't that good, your post furthers my suspicion. I need to shove the stock battery back in and see if I actually get more juice out of it. I see people with stock batteries and heavier use than I reporting two to three times the battery life of the phone.

I'm going to run the stock battery for a day or two and see if I notice anything different, but it might be hard to tell since weekend use of the phone will be different than weekday.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest pvillasuso
If you've got the 1600, could you chime in with your thoughts on how much battery life, more or less, you think you're getting with these?

Mine (1600) is coming next Tuesday ... I'll feedback !

Guest Docmjldds
Any idea if sanding down the original battery door would allow the bigger one to fit?

I would like to know that too. Coming from an Iphone, I used a Belkin Battery Extender that basically made my Iphone look like a pregnant model, but it would run 3 days beofre needing to be plugged in, on average. See my reply to the other user here about the Seido 1600, BT.

Guest Docmjldds
Any idea if sanding down the original battery door would allow the bigger one to fit?

I would like to know that too. Coming from an Iphone, I used a Belkin Battery Extender that basically made my Iphone look like a pregnant model, but it would run 3 days beofre needing to be plugged in, on average. See my reply to the other user here about the Seido 1600, BT.

Guest Docmjldds

The quoted text at the bottom is a repost of another message I responded to in the Desire ROM thread. I didn't want to hijack that thread with a battery discussion, and I also wanted to see if I could catch more responses with my own topic.

Hi again. I contacted Seidio and they offered a replacement. I bought the batter 6 weeks ago from an Amazon retailer that basically said after 15 days, they would not take it back. I wanted t give the battery the best shot at power cycling and use. I am going to also try my stock battery again. At least the company stands behind their products. They did add they had no history of issue such as what we are seeing, but I know others have reported short times. That said, the Desire ROM is REALLY hard on battery usage. I have read that in many places, beside here. I also reflashed Cyano 5.0.4.1 since I have other issues and i need the camera right now to work.

Guest DistortedLoop

No way! The 2800 mah battery is literally double the thickness of the stock 1400 and the 1600 mah batteries. The stock battery already bumps up to the door, now imagine sticking another just as thick on top of it.

Guest DistortedLoop

I used Mophie Juicepacks, which were ugly as heck until they came up with the Air models, which are so sleek they're pretty much just like any plastic case you'd put on your iPhone.

I actually like the extra thickness of the extended back that Seidio provides, it gives an easier grip in my thick hands, but it's not very well fitted. There's an extremely large gap at the bottom of the phone that lets in dust, lint, and the camera lens isn't protected like with the stock backing.

Here's a link to some pictures I took of the poor fit: http://picasaweb.google.com/distortedloop/...feat=directlink

Guest DistortedLoop
Hi again. I contacted Seidio and they offered a replacement. I bought the batter 6 weeks ago from an Amazon retailer that basically said after 15 days, they would not take it back. I wanted t give the battery the best shot at power cycling and use. I am going to also try my stock battery again. At least the company stands behind their products. They did add they had no history of issue such as what we are seeing, but I know others have reported short times. That said, the Desire ROM is REALLY hard on battery usage. I have read that in many places, beside here. I also reflashed Cyano 5.0.4.1 since I have other issues and i need the camera right now to work.

Seidio is a standup company, and they're in the forums looking to respond to complaints like ours. I like that pro-activeness and have no complaint about them in that regard.

I'm looking forward to hearing if you have better luck with a replacement battery.

I think the Cyanogen rom is hard on the battery too, even with an under-volted kernel.

Guest NexusCody

I have two Seidio 1600 batteries and I've switched back and forth between them over the last month or so with my N1. I'm currently running Paul's Desire Rom in the N1 (which I love, great work Paul!), and recently I've noticed that I haven't been getting as long out of the batteries as I initially did when i got them. I initially thought it was the Desire ROM, but after placing my original 1400 battery back in the N1, I don't think that is the case. I seem to be getting better battery life with the 1400 over either one of the Seidio 1600s. Now I also have the 2800 with the new back as well, and that battery does last quite some time in the N1, but not quite as long as I would have thought.

So I'm guessing I should give the Seidio folks a call.

Guest DistortedLoop
I have two Seidio 1600 batteries and I've switched back and forth between them over the last month or so with my N1. I'm currently running Paul's Desire Rom in the N1 (which I love, great work Paul!), and recently I've noticed that I haven't been getting as long out of the batteries as I initially did when i got them. I initially thought it was the Desire ROM, but after placing my original 1400 battery back in the N1, I don't think that is the case. I seem to be getting better battery life with the 1400 over either one of the Seidio 1600s. Now I also have the 2800 with the new back as well, and that battery does last quite some time in the N1, but not quite as long as I would have thought.

So I'm guessing I should give the Seidio folks a call.

What do you think of the battery back? Is yours as poorly fitted as the one in my pictures I posted the link to above?

I'm at 18% battery on CM5.04.1 after 14 hours of light use. No calls, limited audio playback (80 minutes), a couple of dozen SMS messages, 15 minutes of web browsing. That's it for the day.

I'm definitely going to try the 1400 mah stock battery again starting tomorrow and see how it fares.

Does anyone know if the battery stats system in the N1 is smart enough to know you've got a different battery in there?

Guest Docmjldds
Seidio is a standup company, and they're in the forums looking to respond to complaints like ours. I like that pro-activeness and have no complaint about them in that regard.

I'm looking forward to hearing if you have better luck with a replacement battery.

I think the Cyanogen rom is hard on the battery too, even with an under-volted kernel.

Both Seidio as well as the Online company I purchased from have offered a replacement. I actually reverted from Alpha 14 Desire Rom back to Cyano 5.0.4.1 and notice a huge difference in staying power. I now can use sleep mode on the phone and even with heavy listening to music 2 hours/day and general surfing and game playing, my battery times are now approx double to 15 hours or so before needing a charge. So the Desire Rom is for sure eating battery life. I still need to try the stock 1400 but I now believe the ROM itself has a large influence, so far....