Battery life

Guest hah2110

Guest hah2110

Ok... What are all of you doing for your battery life? I just watched that video from the guy who showed the SetCPU and stuff and don't believe his battery is that good. My phone has been off the charger for 20 minutes and Klaxon was running and it is down 5% already AND I have the 1600 mAh Seidio battery. It just isn't possible. Android is a battery hog. I've messed with SetCPU and noticed nothing different. I have the sleep profile set to like 245/3xx and I messed with the advanced settings. What do you guys have your advanced settings at? I have the screen brightness on auto and I don't use twitter/facebook/news. The only data all day is my Touchdown e-mail and weather updates as far as automatic goes. Can someone please shed some darn light here? For the whole day at work I have full 3G and Bluetooth is on, but no WiFi. Any help, PLEASE?

Guest Mantisen
Ok... What are all of you doing for your battery life? I just watched that video from the guy who showed the SetCPU and stuff and don't believe his battery is that good. My phone has been off the charger for 20 minutes and Klaxon was running and it is down 5% already AND I have the 1600 mAh Seidio battery. It just isn't possible. Android is a battery hog. I've messed with SetCPU and noticed nothing different. I have the sleep profile set to like 245/3xx and I messed with the advanced settings. What do you guys have your advanced settings at? I have the screen brightness on auto and I don't use twitter/facebook/news. The only data all day is my Touchdown e-mail and weather updates as far as automatic goes. Can someone please shed some darn light here? For the whole day at work I have full 3G and Bluetooth is on, but no WiFi. Any help, PLEASE?

Well I don't know how the quality of the Seidio batteries are (I think this has been discussed in some other thread but not sure) but I'm running the following setup on a stock battery:

CM 5.0.4.1

UV-Kernel .33 (found at xda-developers)

-------------------

Brightness: Auto

Wifi: On when I use the phone, off otherwise (when available of course, which is at home or school).

GPS: Always on (not used though other then when I'm in maps or taking pics or something that requires the GPS)

Sync: Have twitter on auto refresh every 5 minutes, news genie 2 hours, and beautiful widgets at a 2 hour refresh interval as well. (Getting Gmail-pushed ofc <_<)

SetCPU: Not installed, never used it as it's not required for the UV kernel :mellow:

When I put my phone in the charger last night it had been running for ~35 hours under light usage (some browsing, text messages, phone calls, gaming, spotify, etc. but nothing extreme) and still had over 10% left on the charge.

I don't know if some of the explanation to the long battery life can be the light usage in combination with the excellent 3G coverage here in Sweden. Due to the coverage I the phone almost never switches between 2G/3G or go without signal which should save some battery.

I don't know if a lot of band switching in combination with ineffective coding in Klaxxon can be the thief in your case, or perhaps Seidio sent you a faulty battery?

Guest hah2110
Well I don't know how the quality of the Seidio batteries are (I think this has been discussed in some other thread but not sure) but I'm running the following setup on a stock battery:

CM 5.0.4.1

UV-Kernel .33 (found at xda-developers)

-------------------

Brightness: Auto

Wifi: On when I use the phone, off otherwise (when available of course, which is at home or school).

GPS: Always on (not used though other then when I'm in maps or taking pics or something that requires the GPS)

Sync: Have twitter on auto refresh every 5 minutes, news genie 2 hours, and beautiful widgets at a 2 hour refresh interval as well. (Getting Gmail-pushed ofc :))

SetCPU: Not installed, never used it as it's not required for the UV kernel ;)

When I put my phone in the charger last night it had been running for ~35 hours under light usage (some browsing, text messages, phone calls, gaming, spotify, etc. but nothing extreme) and still had over 10% left on the charge.

I don't know if some of the explanation to the long battery life can be the light usage in combination with the excellent 3G coverage here in Sweden. Due to the coverage I the phone almost never switches between 2G/3G or go without signal which should save some battery.

I don't know if a lot of band switching in combination with ineffective coding in Klaxxon can be the thief in your case, or perhaps Seidio sent you a faulty battery?

Thanks for your awesome response. How exactly do I install the UV Kernel?

Guest commodoor

You can install it like you flash a ROM through recovery menu. And i also saw that video you talking about. anyways here are my findings:

I used MCR and CM (right now using CM)

The battery performd the best with mcr rom. don't know why but i think that all the aosp roms use a lot of battery (or maybe its only for me). when i look at battery usage i see that the screen uses the most battery, brightness is most of the time on low (30%).

Try MCR with SetCPU on with all profiles on. and look how it performes with MCR. and btw if you are using taskmanager to kill processes put SetCPU in the ignore list. I also use klaxxon and that is not your battery problem.

Android is a battery hog.

This is not right, Mine hero performed better with battery life. i could use my hero for 2 days ehwn i do the same on my nexus it lasts only half a day.

Edited by commodoor

Guest hah2110
You can install it like you flash a ROM through recovery menu. And i also saw that video you talking about. anyways here are my findings:

I used MCR and CM (right now using CM)

The battery performd the best with mcr rom. don't know why but i think that all the aosp roms use a lot of battery (or maybe its only for me). when i look at battery usage i see that the screen uses the most battery, brightness is most of the time on low (30%).

Try MCR with SetCPU on with all profiles on. and look how it performes with MCR. and btw if you are using taskmanager to kill processes put SetCPU in the ignore list. I also use klaxxon and that is not your battery problem.

I actually just moved from MCR -> Cyanogen. I did the Cyanogen through the kitchen so didn't it automatically include this kernel, or is there another one? MCR didn't do too good for me. I'm going to drain the battery down and then wipe battery stats as suggested on XDA but this sucks.

Guest commodoor
I actually just moved from MCR -> Cyanogen. I did the Cyanogen through the kitchen so didn't it automatically include this kernel, or is there another one? MCR didn't do too good for me. I'm going to drain the battery down and then wipe battery stats as suggested on XDA but this sucks.

you can look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=634587 or here http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...0-4-1-packages/

i tried the kernel of TCK and worked perfectly.

There is not that much difference with UV kernels. atleast for me and TCK agreed with me. read the thread second link.

Guest hah2110
you can look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=634587 or here http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...0-4-1-packages/

i tried the kernel of TCK and worked perfectly.

There is not that much difference with UV kernels. atleast for me and TCK agreed with me. read the thread second link.

I'm a little confused. The "kernel version" in my phone now is 2.6.33-cyanogenmodshade@toxygen #10. This should be the right one for battery life, right? Should I even be using SetCPU?

Guest commodoor
I'm a little confused. The "kernel version" in my phone now is 2.6.33-cyanogenmodshade@toxygen #10. This should be the right one for battery life, right? Should I even be using SetCPU?

Thats the standard Kernel of CyanogenMod. if you want to try the UV kernel you have to flash your kernel. You can use the kernel from TCK that he made for the CM. http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...0-4-1-packages/ download it flash it remember backup you don't have to wipe anyting and if it goes right you won't loose anything.

If you gonna use UV you don't have to use SetCPU anymore because thats exactly the same what UV does.

Guest hah2110
Thats the standard Kernel of CyanogenMod. if you want to try the UV kernel you have to flash your kernel. You can use the kernel from TCK that he made for the CM. http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...0-4-1-packages/ download it flash it remember backup you don't have to wipe anyting and if it goes right you won't loose anything.

If you gonna use UV you don't have to use SetCPU anymore because thats exactly the same what UV does.

But isn't that BFS one unstable as per the first posts? Also, Paul said he was adding it to the Kitchen but I don't see it anywhere? So I just download that zip and flash update from zip?

EDIT: Also- is this the Kernel you are using?

Edited by hah2110

Guest hah2110
But isn't that BFS one unstable as per the first posts? Also, Paul said he was adding it to the Kitchen but I don't see it anywhere? So I just download that zip and flash update from zip?

EDIT: Also- is this the Kernel you are using?

Check this out - are we sure Klaxon isn't doing any damage? Or is there anything else of concern here.

54b0182f903c93ece13c63681aacbdd74g.jpg

Guest Mantisen

Sorry for the late reply :) Been a busy day :P

Anyways, the kernel I'm using can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=634587

Remember to follow all the instructions to the letter and it shouldn't be any problems ;)

@hah2110 (post above): Seems Klaxon is draining way to much battery! Must be inefficient coding, or is it constantly on and running stuff in the background? ;) (Haven't used it myself)

Edited by Mantisen

Guest hah2110
Sorry for the late reply :) Been a busy day :P

Anyways, the kernel I'm using can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=634587

Remember to follow all the instructions to the letter and it shouldn't be any problems ;)

@hah2110 (post above): Seems Klaxon is draining way to much battery! Must be inefficient coding, or is it constantly on and running stuff in the background? ;) (Haven't used it myself)

Lol you don't have to apologize - you are helping me. I don't know how to do it without the update.zip though? Modaco says his has the latest .33 kernel and that is verified with what I said is in the about status. Would the kernel actually be different? There are a bunch of different threads with a bunch of different files and one has an update.zip but I'm not sure if they are different.

Guest commodoor
Check this out - are we sure Klaxon isn't doing any damage? Or is there anything else of concern here.

54b0182f903c93ece13c63681aacbdd74g.jpg

Ok i'm using klaxon to and its on my ignore list in task manager. when i look at battery usage i don't see klaxon there so i can't say much about battery usage of klaxon. But your klaxon using way to much battery you should mail the developer.

here is my battery usage but remember this is heavy usage.

40 min talking (two conversations: one 30 min second 10 min) < you can see this it drained a lot of battery

2 hours music

~1 hour browsing (while listening music)

getting twitter updates (1 hour interval)

getting mail

screen brightness is low

send few sms

maybe something else i forgot

post-273652-1268765460_thumb.png

post-273652-1268765473_thumb.png

Edited by commodoor

Guest hah2110
Ok i'm using klaxon to and its on my ignore list in task manager. when i look at battery usage i don't see klaxon there so i can't say much about battery usage of klaxon. But your klaxon using way to much battery you should mail the developer.

here is my battery usage but remember this is heavy usage.

40 min talking (two conversations: one 30 min second 10 min) < you can see this it drained a lot of battery

2 hours music

~1 hour browsing (while listening music)

getting twitter updates (1 hour interval)

getting mail

screen brightness is low

send few sms

maybe something else i forgot

What is spraak.... whatever? Haha. Thanks

Guest hah2110
hahaha it means voice in voice calls :) it's dutch

Ok haha - so which actual kernel for battery life can I download in an update.zip format that is stable?

Edited by hah2110

Guest hah2110
Ok haha - so which actual kernel for battery life can I download in an update.zip format that is stable?

Ok - just downloaded .7 without BFS... What is BFS?

Guest hah2110

Ok so I first day on .7 and stock battery (to rule out Seidio) and see the progress below:

5fbbc1eb9bfa09313beb9db041384d7e6g.jpg

Should I try a different radio? Where do I get a better one for battery?

Guest hah2110

Should i use:

EPE54B / 32.26.00.24U_4.04.00.03_2 radio - update zip format

The update includes the Radio ROM shipped with EPE54B (and ERE36B), again as an update zip. It carries version number 32.26.00.24U_4.04.00.03_2.

RADIO UPDATE ZIP DOWNLOAD MD5: c55116d119e9e30cffc86875dce1a560

Guest commodoor

What are doing the most on your phone? i see you are using bluetooth do you listen to music with a BT headset?

Today i didn't used my phone that much. a little browsing, sms, gtalk and getting mail and updates. i'm on 77% battery and "6h 37m 10s since unplugged" i'm on stock battery and the official kernel from CM (no UV). I used my phone for 30 min :)

If you are a heavy user the phone will drain battery so fast damn. But the battery life one nexus one is just bad it was much better on my Hero its just a fact so it doesn't matter if you are using UV kernel the most that you can save a hour of two. i have always my charger with me and charge the phone when i get the chance for.

I think i got the best battery life with MCR rom. give MCR a try and look at the stats of battery usage

Edited by commodoor

Guest hah2110
What are doing the most on your phone? i see you are using bluetooth do you listen to music with a BT headset?

Today i didn't used my phone that much. a little browsing, sms, gtalk and getting mail and updates. i'm on 77% battery and "6h 37m 10s since unplugged" i'm on stock battery and the official kernel from CM (no UV). I used my phone for 30 min :)

If you are a heavy user the phone will drain battery so fast damn. But the battery life one nexus one is just bad it was much better on my Hero its just a fact so it doesn't matter if you are using UV kernel the most that you can save a hour of two. i have always my charger with me and charge the phone when i get the chance for.

I think i got the best battery life with MCR rom. give MCR a try and look at the stats of battery usage

I have used MCR and display usage was all display. BT is on, but not being used and hasn't been used all day. That is why I want to try another radio. Should I try the one I mentioned?

Guest commodoor
I have used MCR and display usage was all display. BT is on, but not being used and hasn't been used all day. That is why I want to try another radio. Should I try the one I mentioned?

Which radio are you using right now? i'm using the radio that you mentioned. you can give it a try but be careful to not interrupt the update process

Guest hah2110
Which radio are you using right now? i'm using the radio that you mentioned. you can give it a try but be careful to not interrupt the update process

I'm using Build ERE36B and Baseband 4.04.00.03_2... What should I do?

Guest commodoor
I'm using Build ERE36B and Baseband 4.04.00.03_2... What should I do?

You don't need to flash the radio. use battery graph to see when the phone is using the most battery and keep track of what you are doing. i did that to so i know when my phone is using the most battery and i use taskkiller to auto kill everyhting (except apps in ignore list) when i go to standby.

Guest hah2110
You don't need to flash the radio. use battery graph to see when the phone is using the most battery and keep track of what you are doing. i did that to so i know when my phone is using the most battery and i use taskkiller to auto kill everyhting (except apps in ignore list) when i go to standby.

So what happens if I flash to a new ROM, will I lose my Kernel and radio? Shouldn't I want the 4.03.00.21_2 radio? I hear it is the most stable?