OMG ITS OFFICIAL!

Guest StrongOneX

Guest StrongOneX

HEY!

LOOK WHAT I MANAGED TO SQUEEZE OUT OF A NOOB FROM HTC

I SENT

Hi. I am so waiting for the new firmware for the HTC Hero (GSM) and I was wondering why can't you (htc) just release what they've done so far then OTA patch it later? I guess you're almost finished because you've used a whole lot of time now. I've been waiting ever since before christmas and checked your website for new update every day. I'm impationtly waiting! And please, if you do not release it, please provide me some details!

THEY REPLIED

Dear

Thank you for your enquiry about htc hero.

Some of the phones in our Android line up including your Hero are due to receive an upgrade, and it is scheduled to be released starting at the end of April. Your phone should be upgraded Over-The-Air. You can expect a pop-up message on your phone when connected to the internet once it is ready. When the upgrade is ready, we will notify you via our website and on various social media networks including Twitter and Face book.

If these steps have not helped, please let me know by responding using the link provided and I will be happy to check again for you.

Best regards,

Ivona

HTC customer support team

HTC Corp. Global Service Division

http://www.htc.com/europe/CA_Hotline.aspx

AND I WAS LIKE OMFG ! :)

Guest StrongOneX
So, how do we prevent this OTA update? Is there an APK we can remove?

I dont think theres an apk... goto settings > security > FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD > NEVER

Guest venturerider
I dont think theres an apk... goto settings > security > FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD > NEVER

I'm running a 2.1 ROM and this option isn't there. It probably won't even pick up this update. Regardless, from now on, I'll be very careful what I click on :)

Guest dipje

It's been clear that HTC support is just speculating on releases just as we are.

And seriously, OTA update? There is no functionality like that in the Hero AFAIK. Clearly the options and items that are in Dream ROMs (for OTA) aren't even in the official Hero ROMs.

How could HTC do an OTA update while the device is sold separately to users without even an internet connection for example?

About the schedule, there is nothing to say except wait till we get something. But I still don't see OTA happening to a device that AFAIK doesn't support OTA (yet).

Guest Remington Steale

You cant do an OTA, aside from anything else the local telco branding (t-mobile, orange) would prevent it.

The only official note I have seen is over on the T-Mobile support site promising an update to 2.1 in april for the G2 (http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/discussions/index?page=forums&topic=801038071f0699e0126d76e2ac5007f9f), it will be a downloadable rom file like the last one I would guess.

They had a lot of flak over the last update taking so long and being constantly delayed they are being a bit more pro-active this time.

Course, remains to be seen if it actually comes out......

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest jUsT2eXy
I'm running a 2.1 ROM and this option isn't there. It probably won't even pick up this update. Regardless, from now on, I'll be very careful what I click on :)

it's there for me... (2.1 BeHero ROM)

Nokia do OTA firmware updates.. It was the recommended method rather than via there application 'software updater'... it was smaller in size too...

Oh well... as soon as the Legend / Desire come out we can just use that ROM and Paul / other DEVS can work there magic on that ROM... no difference.... infact we might have more features with the ROM from the Legend ... right?

Guest venturerider

In the meantime, I installed VillainROM 3.4 yesterday and it looks pretty good. The guy (Russel, I believe) is working on a Legend port for his next release. Due soon...

Guest Phanes

My last info on a update 2.1 for the Hero was November 2010. Where I got this info? From a hotline guy (oh and he said, "it´s done when it´s done ...)

Guest Mike Beecham

You also missed the wording of the email (if it is genuine)...the upgrades will START at the end of April. Knowing HTC like I feel I do now, this is very much a dangling of the proverbial carrot. If the updates begin at the end of the April (which is essentially another two months from when they last stated we would see it) then there is not telling when exactly you will see it on the phone.

Not to mention that, with the increase in technology, HTC may have already released newer versions of thier support by the end of April and your shiny new 2.1 will again be old tech.

Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it!

Guest Ibanez33
OMG!

SEND ME A PM AND I WILL PERSONALLY FORWARD THE GENUIE EMAIL TO YOU!

I SWEAR I COPIED AND PASTED!

Can you also swear to take caps off... :)

I can't wait for a proper version of 2.1 for the hero. I keep getting tempted by all of the 2.1 roms out there but they all have their own quirks..

Edited by Ibanez33

I can't wait for a proper version of 2.1 for the hero. I keep getting tempted by all of the 2.1 roms out there but they all have their own quirks..

Anyone get the impression this is why its taking so long? HTC promised it, but can't quite seem to work out how to make 2.1 work 100% with all the extra stuff they added on the Hero.

Guest StrongOneX
Can you also swear to take caps off... ;)

:)

Guest cezent
Anyone get the impression this is why its taking so long? HTC promised it, but can't quite seem to work out how to make 2.1 work 100% with all the extra stuff they added on the Hero.

absolutely not. There is no technical reason for HTC able to develop Sense UI on Legend and Desire based of 2.1 and not able to adapt Hero for it.

The only reason they are delaying Hero update is Legend & Desire are due to be on sales in a couple of weeks time. They simply will not release Hero update before the new handset hitting the shelf to avoid hurting sales figure.

Guest dipje
OMG!

SEND ME A PM AND I WILL PERSONALLY FORWARD THE GENUIE EMAIL TO YOU!

I SWEAR I COPIED AND PASTED!

We're not saying you didn't get that mail, we are (or I am :)) saying that you can disregard pretty much everything you get from HTC support, since the support department is in no connection at all with the development team.

Things like over-the-air are simply not true for the Hero, and the support department doesn't realize it. Someone else got a response that 'they should install the android 1.6 ROM update'. Clearly they are confusing Dream/Magic facts with Hero facts.

Dream/Magic actually can update over the air, and they have an official 1.6 update (right? don't know actually).

So, to you: Stop shouting (yes, using caps), stop believing things HTC support says, and wait patiently when the 2.1 update will be available. Don't try to figure out when, because you'll only get disappointed. Just wait till it's there, and be glad you even get an update. Symbian phones never get an update to a new major version, WinMo phones only got an official update when the new WinMo version was already announced and coming out in a few months after the device. The fact that we are getting a pretty major new OS version on a device that already has a direct successor out is still something to be happy about.

Yes, android needs it because of the whole market-apps-compatibility-thing. See it as a risk in buying Android phones. You buy a phone for the features and state it has _at that very moment_. If you buy things 'hoping it will be updated' 6 months later you _can_ (not saying you will) be disappointed. Please remember that in the future. LG recently released an (stock) android 1.5 device, and if somebody would assume blindly that it got updated to 2.x they have a hard pill to swallow.

Guest Vido.Ardes
absolutely not. There is no technical reason for HTC able to develop Sense UI on Legend and Desire based of 2.1 and not able to adapt Hero for it.

The only reason they are delaying Hero update is Legend & Desire are due to be on sales in a couple of weeks time. They simply will not release Hero update before the new handset hitting the shelf to avoid hurting sales figure.

I have repeatedly stated this. they won't release the update, because it will makes the Legend almost pointless. If you can buy a Hero that does exactly the same, with slightly worse hardware, why would you bother with a legend? The majority of consumers are gonna look at the two phones, see they do exactly the same and go "I'll go with the cheaper one then".

They are protecting their new products buy delaying the update until they are both in the market

Guest Dr. dre
They are protecting their new products buy delaying the update until they are both in the market

They are mainly trying to protect HTC Legend because it is nearer competition to Hero and most (almost all) of the features would be there in the Hero after the update, I don't think they are too worried for Desire because it's hardware is almost double than that of Hero.