What can I do to increase available RAM?

Guest skydart

Guest skydart

When going to SETTINGS > PROGRAMS > RUNNING SERVICES, it tells me my available RAM at the bottom of the screen. I have a baked ROM from Paul's Kitchen, and I am only showing that I have 29MG+0.00B in 33. Admittedly, I don't know what "the +0.00B in 33 means.

When preparing my Nexus One, I formatted the partitions using 32mg (default setting), the next partition at 512 mg, and the remaining available to the third partition. I'm using a Nexus One with the factory SD card, and I formatted the partitions using ext2.

Please advise what the best partition sizing should be, and secondly, how I can increase the available RAM. This is by far the best ROM on the face of the plannet ;-). Thank you, Paul for all of your hard work.

Guest xkonni
When going to SETTINGS > PROGRAMS > RUNNING SERVICES, it tells me my available RAM at the bottom of the screen. I have a baked ROM from Paul's Kitchen, and I am only showing that I have 29MG+0.00B in 33. Admittedly, I don't know what "the +0.00B in 33 means.

When preparing my Nexus One, I formatted the partitions using 32mg (default setting), the next partition at 512 mg, and the remaining available to the third partition. I'm using a Nexus One with the factory SD card, and I formatted the partitions using ext2.

Please advise what the best partition sizing should be, and secondly, how I can increase the available RAM. This is by far the best ROM on the face of the plannet ;-). Thank you, Paul for all of your hard work.

partitioning is up to you, if you use apps2sd, make that ext partition as large as you think you need it to be. rest for the fat32. currently you do not need a swap partition at all.

but that has nothing to do with available ram.

the android system takes care of the ram, there will always be enough to open new apps, as it closes unneeded ones.

do not think your phone is slow because theres not much ram free.

if you do want to control which apps run, grab a taskmanager from the market. i got one, but mostly to kill apps that i want to restart (xbmc remote needs that quite often...)

Guest skydart
partitioning is up to you, if you use apps2sd, make that ext partition as large as you think you need it to be. rest for the fat32. currently you do not need a swap partition at all.

but that has nothing to do with available ram.

the android system takes care of the ram, there will always be enough to open new apps, as it closes unneeded ones.

do not think your phone is slow because theres not much ram free.

if you do want to control which apps run, grab a taskmanager from the market. i got one, but mostly to kill apps that i want to restart (xbmc remote needs that quite often...)

Thank you. Is there a way to remove my SWAP partition without wiping and partitioning all over?

Is it possible to delete the swap partition without affecting everything else, (in other words, I don't want to have to wipe it again, as I have shortcuts, etc already created and I don't want to have to do that all over again.)

Edited by skydart

Guest xkonni
Thank you. Is there a way to remove my SWAP partition without wiping and partitioning all over?

Is it possible to delete the swap partition without affecting everything else, (in other words, I don't want to have to wipe it again, as I have shortcuts, etc already created and I don't want to have to do that all over again.)

use stuff like gparted. but its only 32meg, i doubt you will ever miss that :)

Guest fabiocampos

Our N1 have 512MB RAM and 512MB ROM all right? My noob question:

- Why my phone shows only 192MB instead ~ 340MB of memory? :)

- In Advanced Task Killer show me ~ 290MB memory free.

I´m confused ;)

Guest Deathwish238
Our N1 have 512MB RAM and 512MB ROM all right? My noob question:

- Why my phone shows only 192MB instead ~ 340MB of memory? :)

- In Advanced Task Killer show me ~ 290MB memory free.

I´m confused ;)

Part of the RAM is reserved by the system and not available for app use.

This isn't the G1 with memory issues. I haven't ended apps in over a month and my phone runs great on the Desire ROM.

Edit: I still have a 96mb Linux-swap partition...don't need it yet but might as well keep sdcard setup.

Edited by Deathwish238

Guest fabiocampos
Part of the RAM is reserved by the system and not available for app use.

This isn't the G1 with memory issues. I haven't ended apps in over a month and my phone runs great on the Desire ROM.

Edit: I still have a 96mb Linux-swap partition...don't need it yet but might as well keep sdcard setup.

Ok, i understanded. But i don´t have sdcard partitions. I´m using Desire ROM too and i´m liked ;)

Sometimes happened lags using live wallpappers, but is a daily useable :)

Thanks for ur answer.