Supersonic unveiled as HTC Evo 4G

Guest cezent

Guest cezent

Latest update:

It turned out supersonic was announced as HTC Evo 4G on Sprint US with WiMax compatibility. It seems the main difference between Evo and Nexus One are the following:

1)Evo supports 4G WiMax as its most distinctive feature

2) Sense UI (same as Desire)

3)4'3 TFT screen (same as HD2). vs 3.7'AMOLED screen on Nexus One and Desire. The AMOLED screen has sharper display especially when indoor.However, 4'3 LCD on a phone is MASSIVE.

4) Internal storage of 1G vs 512mb on nexus one, RAM is the same as N1 at 512mb

5)8MP camera with HD video recording on Evo, N1/Desire has 5MP

HTC did say last year they are never going to do an android version of HD2, and here we are with this monster Evo.:)

old post

Have seen various sources mentioning HTC Supersonic going physical next week, it seems the world of andriods is not exciting enough yet and we are really having a wave of super phones eager to show their faces.if the rumours so far are true, we could be looking at a 4.3' screen with 1.5GHz snapdragon..Bring it on!! ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/wimax-e...sprint-at-ctia/

Edited by cezent

Guest squirreleater
Have seen various sources mentioning HTC Supersonic going physical next week, it seems the world of andriods is not exciting enough yet and we are really having a wave of super phones eager to show their faces.if the rumours so far are true, we could be looking at a 4.3' screen with 1.5GHz snapdragon..Bring it on!! :)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/wimax-e...sprint-at-ctia/

It just looks like a HD2 to me? Can't really see a 1.5ghz processor being released yet.....

Guest stevenbriggs

What do you mean, you can't see it being released yet? They've already announced 1.3GHz & 1.5GHz speeds, as well as dual-core procs later in the year.

It just looks like a HD2 to me? Can't really see a 1.5ghz processor being released yet.....

Guest JonnyRockets
They've already announced 1.3GHz & 1.5GHz speeds, as well as dual-core procs later in the year.

Link?

Not saying you're lying, but I'd love to read more from the source.

Edited by JonnyRockets

Guest AndyCr15

We have been here before. I stated I didn't believe any hardware would eclipse the N1 for about 9 months, even with linkage where it was confirmed 1.5 and dual, I still don't think they will be in a phone before around October.

Guest tropmonky

Yeah, the 1.5 and I thought I heard 1.6ghz procs are due out this year, I could be wrong about 1.6ghz but whatever.... I'm not caring much as the 1ghz is plenty fast enough, and I'm a power user!

I'm eagerly awaiting the full tech specs on the Supersonic... I understand it has SenseUI so that's awesome for full exchange support baked in which I need... BUT what I'm really waiting for on my next phone is true multitouch. The next nice Android phone with true multitouch gets my purchase! Till then I'll hold onto my N1.... I just have my old 3G iPhone for games when I need them on trips and such.

Edited by tropmonky

Guest cezent

I would be interested to find out what the whole deal about 4G wiMax is with this supersonic. Is the 4G WiMax a completely different mobile protocol and incompatible with the existing 3G HSDPA? or is it something on top of HSDPA currently available? and also, anyone knows if any UK providers have wiMax infrastructure support?

the phone better lives up to its name suggest, and I do fancy some supersonic internet in my pocket :)

Guest squirreleater
What do you mean, you can't see it being released yet? They've already announced 1.3GHz & 1.5GHz speeds, as well as dual-core procs later in the year.

I know they have announced them, but I thought I read that they wouldn't actually see the light of day for the best part of a year- as in actually in a phone that is available.

Guest Thetechnogeek
Now, does anyone know if any of the networks in UK supports WiMax??

Nope, not yet. All UK carriers are focussing on rolling out 3.5G to 7.2Mbps initially, and only Voda has really got there so far (others have spotty capability, but most top out from most towers at 3.6Mbps). AFAIK, no UK carrier have announced a rollout of WiMax yet, although there are some small pilots of various technologies in some small locations.

Guest kaotix

Anyone know if this will be released in the UK close to the US release date? I'm seriously loving the look of this and the capabilities are outstanding.

Would seriously consider replacing my N1 with this.

Guest cezent

did some quick research around this. It seems there s not really a consistent protocol agreed over 4G network. The two main 4G technology are LTE vs WiMax.

UK seems to be moving to HSPA+ which is seen as an intrim steps to LTE 4G. There doesnt seem to be any network gearing up for WiMax in UK at the moment. And also for some reason, HSPA+ seem to be capable of faster speed than WiMax that sprint is rolling out in US.

The summary of my finding: No idea if this phone will ever be compatible with UK networks.

And also, no idea if any network will be carrying this phone in UK. The Evo does have 3G compatibility, but that means UK users will be foregoing one of the biggest feature of the phone. Perhaps they will release a UK compatible version that uses HSPA+ network. Those are the unknown.

Its such a lovely phone....

Guest Thetechnogeek
Anyone know if this will be released in the UK close to the US release date? I'm seriously loving the look of this and the capabilities are outstanding.

Would seriously consider replacing my N1 with this.

Good luck with that- it's entirely CDMA, so it won't pick up a signal in the UK :)