18/Mar - Desire port to Nexus One status update

Guest PaulOBrien

Android user in China had got the desire already.

Does Paul have any further progress with the desire rom for nexus one?

Paul is on vacation until the 20th

• 2 weeks later...
Guest attn1

Anyone have any idea how exactly bluetooth is broken in this ROM? Is it more or less functional than the stock N1 Bluetooth, which by many accounts, is also broken?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kbs24
A status update!

I now have the release candidate of the Desire ROM! :P

The new ROM, which is MUCH newer than the build I have been using to date is faster and smoother, the Camera app is better synchronised with the flash, the Live Wallpapers selector is in the right place, the base is ERE27 rather than ERD79 and there are numerous little fixes all over the place! Of course, it will take a bit of time for me to do a full quality port over for the next MCR, but i've done a quick hack to flash it on and see what works.

That's the good news - the bad news is BlueTooth, Camera, USB connect popup and FM Radio still don't work correctly out of the box. BUT - I have discovered why.

Basically, it all comes down to the kernel.

I have confirmed that all of the above (i'm not 100% sure on BT, i'm still investigating that one) use specific features in the Desire kernel that aren't available in the generic kernel. HTC enhancements if you will. The Desire ships with a .29 kernel which, based on what i've seen in the apps and the setup of the config file, is pretty heavily customised. Unfortunately the Desire kernel doesn't boot on the Nexus One, so we're in a bit of a sticky situation until the Desire kernel source gets released, and it's unclear when that will be (HTC's track record in that regard isn't fantastic)!

All is not lost however, as I have started looking at a new approach to fixing the problems, as seen in the camera fix for Alpha 16. I'm basically hunting down the kernel specific hooks and - where possible - i'm rerouting those to an alternate location that I can control. Taking the camera app as an example, the libcamera.so file was checking kernel specific points before deciding whether the flash should fire or not. It was doing things like checking for a phone call, checking for a wimax connection (!), and when these checks didn't work properly, it was preventing the flash firing. By editing this library and rerouting those locations, I was able to make the flash fire - much better than just dropping in the 'wrong' library which was the previous solution. Similarly, the camera application itself was dropping back to 3 Megapixels by default because it was looking for a 'sensor resolution' file produced by the kernel, which didn't exist. By determining this as the cause and reverse engineering the Camera application, I was able to make 5 Megapixels the fallback resolution instead. Problem solved.

Hopefully a similar approach can be used for the other problems (FM radio, USB connection and Bluetooth) and we'll get everything 100% - believe me i'm working on it.

If we CAN get this working fully, the work i'm doing here - if I can get it 100% - will also enable Desire users to have newer kernels and custom kernels with all the goodness that brings, without being dependent on a HTC Kernel source release.

There's lots to do - starting with the RC port to use as a base - but it's been a fun ride and it's gonna get funner. Thanks for all your support! :D

P

I was wondering if there is a timetable for the fix of the Bluetooth issue on the Desire rom running on Nexus One. I love everything about it except this bt problem. Also, please if you have decided not to work up an update please let me know that too since it will affect what rom i eventually stick with. Thanks very much.

Edited by kbs24

Guest kbs24
A status update!

I now have the release candidate of the Desire ROM! :P

The new ROM, which is MUCH newer than the build I have been using to date is faster and smoother, the Camera app is better synchronised with the flash, the Live Wallpapers selector is in the right place, the base is ERE27 rather than ERD79 and there are numerous little fixes all over the place! Of course, it will take a bit of time for me to do a full quality port over for the next MCR, but i've done a quick hack to flash it on and see what works.

That's the good news - the bad news is BlueTooth, Camera, USB connect popup and FM Radio still don't work correctly out of the box. BUT - I have discovered why.

I have confirmed that all of the above (i'm not 100% sure on BT, i'm still investigating that one) use specific features in the Desire kernel that aren't available in the generic kernel. HTC enhancements if you will. The Desire ships with a .29 kernel which, based on what i've seen in the apps and the setup of the config file, is pretty heavily customised. Unfortunately the Desire kernel doesn't boot on the Nexus One, so we're in a bit of a sticky situation until the Desire kernel source gets released, and it's unclear when that will be (HTC's track record in that regard isn't fantastic)!

All is not lost however, as I have started looking at a new approach to fixing the problems, as seen in the camera fix for Alpha 16. I'm basically hunting down the kernel specific hooks and - where possible - i'm rerouting those to an alternate location that I can control. Taking the camera app as an example, the libcamera.so file was checking kernel specific points before deciding whether the flash should fire or not. It was doing things like checking for a phone call, checking for a wimax connection (!), and when these checks didn't work properly, it was preventing the flash firing. By editing this library and rerouting those locations, I was able to make the flash fire - much better than just dropping in the 'wrong' library which was the previous solution. Similarly, the camera application itself was dropping back to 3 Megapixels by default because it was looking for a 'sensor resolution' file produced by the kernel, which didn't exist. By determining this as the cause and reverse engineering the Camera application, I was able to make 5 Megapixels the fallback resolution instead. Problem solved.

Hopefully a similar approach can be used for the other problems (FM radio, USB connection and Bluetooth) and we'll get everything 100% - believe me i'm working on it.

If we CAN get this working fully, the work i'm doing here - if I can get it 100% - will also enable Desire users to have newer kernels and custom kernels with all the goodness that brings, without being dependent on a HTC Kernel source release.

There's lots to do - starting with the RC port to use as a base - but it's been a fun ride and it's gonna get funner. Thanks for all your support! :D

P

??

If I have already installed one of your Desire roms on my N1, but then I bake another version, do I still have to perform a "wipe" before installing the baked version?

Guest kbs24
Generally speaking, try without a wipe and if things break, wipe! :)

P

Thanks. I had to wipe. Love the r14 rom for Nexus One, still has the Sense Live Wallpaper, and I got my Bluetooth Back. Now I am working on skinning the Beautiful Widgets Home clock to get it more like the Desire. But all in all, I like the Nexus One rom better than the Desire. Really love this stuff, glad I paid my $15. ;)

Guest sy_enigma
A status update!

I now have the release candidate of the Desire ROM! :)

There's lots to do - starting with the RC port to use as a base - but it's been a fun ride and it's gonna get funner. Thanks for all your support! ;)

P

please Paul i can't see the link to the new alpha 22 and can i ask if u can add arabic to the room

Guest sy_enigma
A status update!

I now have the release candidate of the Desire ROM! :)

There's lots to do - starting with the RC port to use as a base - but it's been a fun ride and it's gonna get funner. Thanks for all your support! ;)

P

please Paul i can't see the link to the new alpha 22 and can i ask if u can add arabic to the room

Guest acantril
Hey no you have the Desire kernel this thread need to be update more :)

I guess i'll ask the same question for the 57th time (probably more !) but will we get a desire retail port now ?

Guest stevenz

Geez, don't quote a whole screen of text and add 1 line people.

Anywho, with FroYo almost certainly being released over the next few days, Desire's being all over the place and the Desire kernel source now available, it's only a matter of time before people start doing Desire ports based on "final" packages. Give the man a break and there's also guys doing alternate ports over at XDA.

Guest starkruzr

So, two months ago the kernel source was released. It is now almost June.

What's the holdup at this point? I would really LOVE to be able to use that FM radio in my Nexus.

Guest deanesn

What's the holdup at this point? I would really LOVE to be able to use that FM radio in my Nexus.

uhh noo. It was release 2 week ago. I don't think the FM radio is priority on Paul's list. I am sure he is working on the froyo now. Most likely you will stable BT before FM radio. I do agree I would love to have the FM radio working. :rolleyes:

Guest AwesomeGuy
does anyone else have a problem with their APN's under the "Desire" alpha?

For me (SGP), I need to configure it manually.

Guest stevenz

I wouldn't expect it to work very well as the internal antenna wasn't designed for it, irrespective of the chipset supporting the functionalilty.

The holdup is probably that Paul has other things to do.

Guest starkruzr
I wouldn't expect it to work very well as the internal antenna wasn't designed for it, irrespective of the chipset supporting the functionalilty.

The holdup is probably that Paul has other things to do.

That's entirely fair. It would just be nice if Paul could hit us with a "hey guys, here's our current status" update. Personally I bet he's torn between working with Froyo and working with the Desire ROM + kernel -- I know I would be!

On the subject of the FM radio -- do we know much about the physical characteristics of the device thanks to teardowns? Are the physical interfaces for the radio even there?

• 1 month later...