Resizing MMS pictures

Guest lamabodo

Guest lamabodo

My operator limits mms size to 300 kb, while the stock messaging app does not resize pictures beyond about 750 kb. Is there any way to work around this, apart from going to handcent or chomp?

Guest axboe
My operator limits mms size to 300 kb, while the stock messaging app does not resize pictures beyond about 750 kb. Is there any way to work around this, apart from going to handcent or chomp?

The stock limits seem to be 2560x1920 and 1024KB picture size, which is also way too big for me. I also have a 300KB limit and I believe this is quite normal. I could not find any settings related to this either, which I think is quite puzzling. I ended up pulling the Mms.apk off the ROM with adb, doing a binary edit of the res_config.xml file changing the settings to 1024x768 and 300KB, zipping it up and pushing it back. That works fine for me, but it isn't very user friendly.

So I'd be quite curious to know if there's a better way than this. I had the feeling I was missing something myself, since I would imagine that tons of people would be complaining about this.

Guest lamabodo
The stock limits seem to be 2560x1920 and 1024KB picture size, which is also way too big for me. I also have a 300KB limit and I believe this is quite normal. I could not find any settings related to this either, which I think is quite puzzling. I ended up pulling the Mms.apk off the ROM with adb, doing a binary edit of the res_config.xml file changing the settings to 1024x768 and 300KB, zipping it up and pushing it back. That works fine for me, but it isn't very user friendly.

So I'd be quite curious to know if there's a better way than this. I had the feeling I was missing something myself, since I would imagine that tons of people would be complaining about this.

That sounds like a possible fix, yes. Would you be able to share your mms.apk with us slightly less technically endowed? If so I would be, if not forever, then at least for quite a while in your debt.

Perhaps this could be an option in the kitchen at some point - max mms size?

Guest axboe
That sounds like a possible fix, yes. Would you be able to share your mms.apk with us slightly less technically endowed? If so I would be, if not forever, then at least for quite a while in your debt.

Perhaps this could be an option in the kitchen at some point - max mms size?

An option would be very nice, indeed... I put my Mms.apk up here: http://kernel.dk/Mms.apk

I'm running CM 5.0.4.1 so the mod is based off that, ymmv on other ROMs. I'd pull your existing

Mms.apk first and store that somewhere safe, so you can easily put it back if it breaks.

Guest lamabodo
An option would be very nice, indeed... I put my Mms.apk up here: http://kernel.dk/Mms.apk

I'm running CM 5.0.4.1 so the mod is based off that, ymmv on other ROMs. I'd pull your existing

Mms.apk first and store that somewhere safe, so you can easily put it back if it breaks.

Apparently the MCR-mms.apk contains some tweaks to enable coloured trackball notifications. I wouldn't want to sacrifice that to get mms working properly, so could I bother you a bit further? Could you just give me a quick runthrough of how you actually edited the mms_config.xml? As in, which values did you actually change?

Thanks a lot!

Guest axboe
Apparently the MCR-mms.apk contains some tweaks to enable coloured trackball notifications. I wouldn't want to sacrifice that to get mms working properly, so could I bother you a bit further? Could you just give me a quick runthrough of how you actually edited the mms_config.xml? As in, which values did you actually change?

Thanks a lot!

Just use whatever binary editor on your OS, I used 'mc' on Linux. The limits are clearly visible as ASCII text in there. As the limit is 1048576, you need to make that 0307200 to be on the safe side. I also edited the resolution, 1024x768 would seem plenty for an MMS. The result is that out going messages here are around 100kb when resized and it never hits that 300KB limitation.

So start with unzipping the Mms.apk, then edit the file, and just zip it back up again.

Guest lamabodo
Just use whatever binary editor on your OS, I used 'mc' on Linux. The limits are clearly visible as ASCII text in there. As the limit is 1048576, you need to make that 0307200 to be on the safe side. I also edited the resolution, 1024x768 would seem plenty for an MMS. The result is that out going messages here are around 100kb when resized and it never hits that 300KB limitation.

So start with unzipping the Mms.apk, then edit the file, and just zip it back up again.

You are a star. Really. It now works flawlessly.

I had to edit the mms_config.xml-files in the four /xml-mcc-310* directories, ensuring that they match the one in the /xml directory.

Uploaded it here in case anyone else needs it. All praise to axboe, and all heed his(?) warning to pull the original mms.apk first, so you have a backup.

Edited by lamabodo

Guest axboe
You are a star. Really. It now works flawlessly.

I had to edit the mms_config.xml-files in the four /xml-mcc-310* directories, ensuring that they match the one in the /xml directory.

Uploaded it here in case anyone else needs it. All praise to axboe, and all heed his(?) warning to pull the original mms.apk first, so you have a backup.

Great, glad you got it working! Now if only CM would come with such a mod, or (even better) it be some option in the modaco kitchen. At least until it's a proper setting in the Messages app. I should've posted my "solution" here when I did it, the reason I didn't was because I was surely missing something since I can't believe that MMS works for most people with that 1MB setting. The only thing I found when searching was a suggestion to switch the camera to a lower resolution/quality, but such a work-around is a horrible solution imho.

Guest lamabodo
Great, glad you got it working! Now if only CM would come with such a mod, or (even better) it be some option in the modaco kitchen. At least until it's a proper setting in the Messages app. I should've posted my "solution" here when I did it, the reason I didn't was because I was surely missing something since I can't believe that MMS works for most people with that 1MB setting. The only thing I found when searching was a suggestion to switch the camera to a lower resolution/quality, but such a work-around is a horrible solution imho.

Agreed; lowering resolution is a crappy solution to the problem. Haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work like it should now. I also agree that it would be a nice touch to get max mms-size as an option in the kitchen.

I do also find it odd that most people seem to get mms to work effortlessly - perhaps they use handcent or chomp?

Anyways, great job figuring out how to get it working!