Apps2SD on LCR v1.2.2

Guest linuxluver

Guest linuxluver

I've turned the apps2sd function on and apps are definitely being installed to the ext3 partition on my sdcard.

But the apps also appear to still be allocating lots of space on the internal storage too. I have 112 apps installed and got down to only 72MB free out 192MB. Low enough to make me wonder if apps2sd was actually working.....even if the apps are obviously on the sdcard.

So I looked at apps that store things and found:

1. The Android default browser is storing its cache in the internal storage. Clearing its cache freed up 8MB and took me back to 80MB free from 72MB.

2. Google Earth (at 22.4MB in total) stores about 18MB of stuff in the internal storage. Uninstalling it freed up 18 MB more of the internal storage, taking me up to 98MB free.

3. I cleared Seesmic's cache and freed up another 3.7MB for a new total of 103MB.

4. Better Terminal Emulator Pro (BTEP) is 2.47MB. This goes to the sdcard. But when you run it, the first time it downloads the Almquist Shell and installs 3MB worth in the internal storage....not the sdcard. So this app has about 40% on the sdcard and 60% in internal storage. (This completely confuses App Manager Pro which reports BTEP as having *85MB* instead of 5.5MB)

So just these 4 apps were taking over 34MB of my *precious* internal storage.....and the apps themselves (except perhaps the default browser) were installed to the sdcard.

So though the apps are on the sdcard, any data many of them acquire still goes onto the internal storage......unless, like FeedR or Dolphin browser, they allow you to choose to explicitly store their data on the sdcard.

QUESTION: Can we get the apps to store their data on the sdcard, too? is there another symlink we need to make them think they are putting into internal storage....but it goes to sd? Apps2sd on Cyanogen Mod must do something like that as I've had 200 apps installed on my HTC Magic and still had 276MB free of 295MB. Barely 20MB went into internal storage.

All that said, the apps2sd is still a big improvement as it is.....I have about 100 apps installed and still have 100MB of free internal space. That's excellent! But for many apps the majority of the space they consume is their data, not the app itself...and they put their data into internal storage.

It looks like you may want to allow 30MB to 40MB just for this 'data creep'....and do not install any more apps when your internal storage gets this low....even with apps2sd.

Edited by linuxluver

Guest Borkata

The new app2sd that csto implements makes much more than moving applications to sdcard :) It offers user to choose where to install. The problem is that we have still to port this to our Liquid.

Guest malez

In LCR 1.2.3, I have added the move dalvik-cache too. That will free even more space. I have also added the free space checkingbedore applying. It is really safer. I am still testinig but will release really soon.