Can devs try to port Desire to Liquid?

Guest fbsqual

Guest fbsqual

Liquid beta buid is boring now. We are waiting the official Ecair release. May any devs are willing to try to port Desire 2 Liquid? I think that's a good idea for most of us. HTC sense is cool! :)

thx all devs!

Guest fbsqual

ye I had opended an old thread one month ago. But no dev reply it and now there's a really desire ROM ported to other devices. So I am interest at the possiblity of tring this to liquid. :)

Guest behnaam
ye I had opended an old thread one month ago. But no dev reply it and now there's a really desire ROM ported to other devices. So I am interest at the possiblity of tring this to liquid. :P

I can tell u porting stuff between devices manufactured by different companies is not easy, and in most cases not worth it. HTC > HTC ports are ok, most stuff works. HTC > Other device, often results in non working hardware bits and not so smoothly working builds.

I tried, first of all, its to big to flash due to the system max size Liquid uses. Second of all, it will probably be very laggy, unstable, not working and useless. It's alot better to put focus in AOSP builds rather than code that already compiled and hard to fix, since we dont have access to HTCs closed sources :)

Hope this explains it to u ;)

Guest fbsqual
I can tell u porting stuff between devices manufactured by different companies is not easy, and in most cases not worth it. HTC > HTC ports are ok, most stuff works. HTC > Other device, often results in non working hardware bits and not so smoothly working builds.

I tried, first of all, its to big to flash due to the system max size Liquid uses. Second of all, it will probably be very laggy, unstable, not working and useless. It's alot better to put focus in AOSP builds rather than code that already compiled and hard to fix, since we dont have access to HTCs closed sources :)

Hope this explains it to u ;)

thx alot behnaam :P I know now. And are there any possible to port only Sense UI and mix with the liquid ROM? Just like porting HD2 to acer NeoTouch(WM). :P

you said the system is too big to flash. why? I found liquid and nexus's ROM size are the same 512MB. ;)

Guest rafyvitto
thx alot behnaam :P I know now. And are there any possible to port only Sense UI and mix with the liquid ROM? Just like porting HD2 to acer NeoTouch(WM). :)

you said the system is too big to flash. why? I found liquid and nexus's ROM size are the same 512MB. ;)

Htc manila 2.5 was able to run on the acer s200 simply because most of the s200 is similar to the hd2 excluding the screen/compass and besides porting UI's in winmo is a as simple as butter, specially an htc UI which is nicely divided in packages which you can simply add into the OEM folder of your kitchen, and if the right hardware is there the htc UI should execute and render properly this was the case with the acer s200, but then again that dosnt mean that porting the android htc sense to the liquid device is impossible its just that i will take someone with certain skills to do so, just like in the case of the motorola droid =].

ps:Im not flamming anyone with the above stated.

Edited by rafyvitto

Guest rafyvitto
you said the system is too big to flash. why? I found liquid and nexus's ROM size are the same 512MB. :)

Yes your right the only problem is that acer retardedly restricted the acer liquid's flashing partition, they did the same in the acer s200 =[

Guest eViL D:
Yes your right the only problem is that acer retardedly restricted the acer liquid's flashing partition, they did the same in the acer s200 =[

I believe this is an Android thing, not necessarily Acers fault. I have heard that you can change the partition size in the kernel.

Guest fbsqual
I believe this is an Android thing, not necessarily Acers fault. I have heard that you can change the partition size in the kernel.

And Does that means everything is possible when the offical ROM and kernel source arrived? :)

Edited by fbsqual

Guest fbsqual
Htc manila 2.5 was able to run on the acer s200 simply because most of the s200 is similar to the hd2 excluding the screen/compass and besides porting UI's in winmo is a as simple as butter, specially an htc UI which is nicely divided in packages which you can simply add into the OEM folder of your kitchen, and if the right hardware is there the htc UI should execute and render properly this was the case with the acer s200, but then again that dosnt mean that porting the android htc sense to the liquid device is impossible its just that i will take someone with certain skills to do so, just like in the case of the motorola droid =].

I believe u will catch one soon :)

Guest behnaam

I dont say its impossible, even if Desire leak was ported onto the Droid u will see that it has alot, and I mean really huge parts that needs to be worked on. Some important hardware parts dont work and I think thats a dealbreaker for most users, cuz if people were able to live with a few bugs everybody would use the leaked .bin or early acer liquid 2.1.

I cant see why people that actually like customized UIs didnt just go for a HTC device like Hero, Tattoo or the newcomer Legend? Much better than hassling with a semi working port that never will be fully stable and working, it even have bugs when porting between htc devices (Nexus has almost identical gpu, cpu etc as Desire)

Sure, people can say that "I want WVGA thats why" or "I want a snapdragon device" or "its cheaper than other phones".

1. The kernel limited liquid to use the full power of snapdragon proccessor (apart from thoose using disc0's kernel for Donut)

2. Hero has gone down in price alot since its release, in the same price range as Liquid.

3. WVGA res screen is nice, but as u may know the screen hardware in Liquid isnt the best.

A tip for thoose who are dissapointed with the Liquid:

Do never buy a phone expecting the manufacturer will spit out updates every day or even any day.

If u wanted a decent phone running Android on WVGA with donut, this phone is the best choice. If u wanted 2.1 with Sense running ontop + a good custom rom community support, go for HTC devices or Motorola.

Im happy with a device running donut with good speed and root. Nothing more needed and I dont expect anymore :)

Thats just my 2 cents

Im happy with a device running donut with good speed and root. Nothing more needed and I dont expect anymore :P

Me too. Acer Liquid in stock + root does what I want. Nothing more, nothing less. Just what I want. So i did not bother with ACR yet and all other stuff. I'm owning it for two weeks now. At first I only wanted to play with stock to see how it works and to write software for it (everything in process now) to know the difference between 1.6 and 2.1. But now I don't know if I need 2.1 at all (: It all cosy and comfy here and I'm happy!