3G/HSDPA connection quality between different roms

Guest drfroz

Guest drfroz

I was wondering why I keep getting faster 3G connection speeds on the MoDaCo Desire Rom than on the MoDaCo 2.0 Nexus One rom? For example, I never seem to get the "H" icon with the nexus one rom and using the speed test app, I get only 1mb speed. With the Desire rom I get the "H" quite all the time and speed test gave me a result of almost 3mb. Is it something to do with the different radios that both roms contain? I know it's not hardware based because it works on the other rom but doesn't seem to work on the other one.

Thanks,

drfroz

Guest muncheese

The desire rom doesn't include a radio unless you add it in, but they do have radio libraries that are different.

I updated my radio when I did my desire rom, and noticed much better reception. I'm not sure if it's T-mobile expanding or not though.

Guest drfroz
The desire rom doesn't include a radio unless you add it in, but they do have radio libraries that are different.

I updated my radio when I did my desire rom, and noticed much better reception. I'm not sure if it's T-mobile expanding or not though.

Thanks for the reply :) I tried flashing the newer radio from the stock roms/radio thread. I didn't notice any difference when using the latest 2.1 modaco rom. Then I flashed the new A19 Desire rom and bam, I get again the faster speeds.

For now I stick with Desire because of the faster 3G speed, despite that it still has some bugs and features I don't like...

Guest rimtp07

where can I get the best radio for the desire rom?

where can I get the best radio for the desire rom?

From the stock rom thread here @ modaco. The newest one is working very well. Or you can bake a rom with radio upgrade included

Guest rimtp07
From the stock rom thread here @ modaco. The newest one is working very well. Or you can bake a rom with radio upgrade included

ah ok. cause i downloaded a radio from somebodys link saying it saves battery, and when i booted up the phone it just stuck on the htc screen and kept restarting the htc screen

Guest ootherocoo

This has me perplexed as well. When on the Desire ROM, I get "H", but when on the stock Nexus i can only get "3G". My question is, how is this possible, and what makes the Desire ROM get "H" and not the stock Nexus?

Guest Shuflie

Stock Android makes no distinction between 3G and HSDPA in the topbar, use spare part, or type *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer, and look at the phone information screen to see what type of connection is currently active. HTC ROMs are not stock android and show an H in the topbar when connected to HSDPA.

Guest Lokizilla
This has me perplexed as well. When on the Desire ROM, I get "H", but when on the stock Nexus i can only get "3G". My question is, how is this possible, and what makes the Desire ROM get "H" and not the stock Nexus?

Check out Settings -> About (-> Network) and you'll see that both ROMs use HSDPA where available. The Desire ROM includes two symbols ('3G' and 'H') to show in the status bar, where the N1 ROM will show '3G' for both.

Guest ootherocoo

Holy smokes....guys thank you so much for your help. I now finally understand how this thing works. Greatly appreciated guys. Thank you

I was wondering why I keep getting faster 3G connection speeds on the MoDaCo Desire Rom than on the MoDaCo 2.0 Nexus One rom? For example, I never seem to get the "H" icon with the nexus one rom and using the speed test app, I get only 1mb speed. With the Desire rom I get the "H" quite all the time and speed test gave me a result of almost 3mb. Is it something to do with the different radios that both roms contain? I know it's not hardware based because it works on the other rom but doesn't seem to work on the other one.

Thanks,

drfroz

Check out this thread(and others) on XDA regarding modifying/replacing your build.prop to acheive higher speeds, after modifying my build.prop I get 3.3 down and 1.3 up as best results so far with both roms. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=648348

Edited by rgbc

Guest drfroz
Stock Android makes no distinction between 3G and HSDPA in the topbar, use spare part, or type *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer, and look at the phone information screen to see what type of connection is currently active. HTC ROMs are not stock android and show an H in the topbar when connected to HSDPA.

Thanks for the heads up. Still despite this, looking at the raw transfer speeds the Desire rom is much faster for me, which still puzzles me.

Guest fabiocampos

Sorry for use this topic for my noob question. But, i´m from Brazil and my carrier works only HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 frequencies, but my N1 works only HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100.

Question: Howto work in the same frequencie then AT&T & Rogers? I can upgrade my radio version and works in the 850 / 1900 / 2100 frequencies?

My radio version: 4.03.00.21_2

Sorry for use this topic for my noob question. But, i´m from Brazil and my carrier works only HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 frequencies, but my N1 works only HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100.

Question: Howto work in the same frequencie then AT&T & Rogers? I can upgrade my radio version and works in the 850 / 1900 / 2100 frequencies?

I think your n1 has a different hardware radio than the att/rogers n1, so a software update won't enable the frequencies unfortunately.

Guest fabiocampos
I think your n1 has a different hardware radio than the att/rogers n1, so a software update won't enable the frequencies unfortunately.

Hmmm... I had thought this :(

Thanks for u answer :P

Guest mi_canuck

well there's not a Nexus One for AT&T that supports the 850/1900/2100 HSDPA bands... you might want to switch your Nexus (don't know how long ago you got it), or maybe sell it on ebay and pick up the at&t version..

Guest BLOWNCO

so im on AT&T and i did the *#*#4636#*#* and under "select preferred network type WCDMA preferred is selected should t it be like gsm or something since im on at&t

Guest Shuflie
so im on AT&T and i did the *#*#4636#*#* and under "select preferred network type WCDMA preferred is selected should t it be like gsm or something since im on at&t

Not if you have an AT&T N1.

Guest Squeaky369

The newer radios won't mess up our At&t N1 will it? I tried to install a radio update while I was rooting it a few days back, and it did the same thing that other guys was doing, just rebooting at the HTC screen.

What the hell was up with that?