Any suggestions on how to partition my SD Card for my N1?

Guest anthdroid

Guest anthdroid

Hey everyone,

Quick question- Is there a guide or would someone explain an ideal partition structure for my SD Card on my N1?

I run the Desire Rom Paul is so graciously working on.

I use Linux daily, so I do understand ext3, swap, etc.

But, I'm not used to having such options for my phone - anyone mind explaining:

1. What app is best used to do formatting?

2. Correct amount of Swap?

3. Certain file system run faster?

4. Is there a file system for stability?

5. Pros/Cons of running modified partitions on SD Card for Android?

6. Any other suggestions you all have!?

Thanks for your time, I think this would be helpful for others- a quick search proved nothing beyond bits and pieces in threads to get someone's apps2sd running, etc.

Edited by anthdroid

Guest fabiocampos
Hey everyone,

Quick question- Is there a guide or would someone explain an ideal partition structure for my SD Card on my N1?

I run the Desire Rom Paul is so graciously working on.

I use Linux daily, so I do understand ext3, swap, etc.

But, I'm not used to having such options for my phone - anyone mind explaining:

1. What app is best used to do formatting?

You can make into RA-recovery (it´s easy)

More peoples uses 96MB

I think ext3 or ext4

Maybe ext3 or ext4

5. Pros/Cons of running modified partitions on SD Card for Android?

Pros = more space into memory

Cons = Maybe app running slowly

6. Any other suggestions you all have!?

Thanks for your time, I think this would be helpful for others- a quick search proved nothing beyond bits and pieces in threads to get someone's apps2sd running, etc.

Cheers.

Guest anthdroid

Thanks for your help- I would think that ext3 is safer for now, ext4 faster.

I didn't know I can do everything in RA-recovery, very nice to know.

Is it best to just copy your SD Card via computer, format via Ra, then drag stuff back over via computer mount or can I use some app (does the htc sync do this?)?

I have mounted my SD Card on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and boy is it getting messy!

Thanks!

Guest fabiocampos
Thanks for your help- I would think that ext3 is safer for now, ext4 faster.

I didn't know I can do everything in RA-recovery, very nice to know.

Is it best to just copy your SD Card via computer, format via Ra, then drag stuff back over via computer mount or can I use some app (does the htc sync do this?)?

I have mounted my SD Card on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and boy is it getting messy!

Thanks!

The sdcard parition into recovery format your sdard too. Only backup your files into your PC. U can use usb-toogle into recovey to management your sdcard too.

Cheers.

Guest joelee

More peoples uses 96MB

I think ext3 or ext4 *wrong*

Maybe ext3 or ext4

ext2 is the fastest because it does not have the overhead of journaling. ext3 & ext4 are journaled file system which makes recovery faster when your device crashed. ext4 is faster than ext3, but it is newer (less tested than ext3) and designed for servers with large volume and disk I/O.

I am using ext3 and swap disabled.

Edited by joelee

Guest AndiTails

Interesting to read people's view.

For pure I/O, ext2 will be quickest as it doesn't have to write the journal.

However, ext4 has persistent pre-allocation and delayed allocation which speeds up file writes and keep files contiguous. The journal is also checksum'd which improves reliability.

Since there is a possibility of file corruption (card removal, battery fall-out), you should really journal. And ext4 is a lot LOT faster than ext3.

Just my 2p mind.

And swap? You shouldn't need it on the Nexus with HiMem enabled (which all custom ROMs now have).

You may end up adding lag to your phone for no reason.

RA has a great interactive partitionner.

Personally, I'd go with 512mb for Apps on ext4, and the rest for your SD card's "normal" operation, so no swap.

But, up to you really :)

Guest fabiocampos
Interesting to read people's view.

For pure I/O, ext2 will be quickest as it doesn't have to write the journal.

However, ext4 has persistent pre-allocation and delayed allocation which speeds up file writes and keep files contiguous. The journal is also checksum'd which improves reliability.

Since there is a possibility of file corruption (card removal, battery fall-out), you should really journal. And ext4 is a lot LOT faster than ext3.

Just my 2p mind.

And swap? You shouldn't need it on the Nexus with HiMem enabled (which all custom ROMs now have).

You may end up adding lag to your phone for no reason.

RA has a great interactive partitionner.

Personally, I'd go with 512mb for Apps on ext4, and the rest for your SD card's "normal" operation, so no swap.

But, up to you really :)

U´re sure dude. I think same than u ;)

Best regards.

Guest anthdroid

Thanks to everyone for explaining this...

I was a bit confused what the point of swap would be on the N1, but had no proof as to why to not use it.

As for 512 for apps, I don't use too many, so that's more than enough.

One more question, when you simply format the SD from within Android, what does it format it as? FAT?

If I format as ext3, is it still mountable in Windows/Mac?

I have 2 SD cards, the stock 4GB, and an 8GB- both have suffered from corruption already. I believe this has to do with using my computer to remove files from the SD in Mass Storage mode. In Linux (Gnome at least) you have to empty the trash BEFORE ejecting, otherwise all sorts of chaos occurs. Ubuntu does a good job of telling you this, but then you end up emptying your entire trash can just to get rid of a movie or something from the SD card.

Poor method in my opinion.

Maybe I need a better Desktop>Mass Storage setup?

Guest joelee
One more question, when you simply format the SD from within Android, what does it format it as? FAT?

FAT32

If I format as ext3, is it still mountable in Windows/Mac?

Not natively. You need a 3rd party drivers. I use MacFUSE to access unsupported file system on my Mac. You will also need a remove your SDCard to a card reader, as the USB Mount on Android only mounts the FAT32 partition.

Alternatively, you can access your A2SD (ext3) partition mounted on your device ( /system/sd ) over the network and SSH/SCP. You need an SSH/SCP client for that ( WinSCP, Transmit, ForkLift, try google for more options), or, simply use the ssh & scp terminal commands. Also, you will need DropBear running on your device.

Edited by joelee

Guest anthdroid
FAT32

Not natively. You need a 3rd party drivers. I use MacFUSE to access unsupported file system on my Mac. You will also need a remove your SDCard to a card reader, as the USB Mount on Android only mounts the FAT32 partition.

That's fine I suppose, I can use my Ubuntu Computer to access, has a built in slot.

Alternatively, you can access your A2SD (ext3) partition mounted on your device ( /system/sd ) over the network and SSH/SCP. You need an SSH/SCP client for that ( WinSCP, Transmit, ForkLift, try google for more options), or, simply use the ssh & scp terminal commands. Also, you will need DropBear running on your device.

Nice, it's amazing to see how robust a phone running Linux can be...very much so a different feel than a hacked iTool device :)

Edited by anthdroid