27/May r2 - Desire Camera application on Nexus One (MCR/CM/Enomther)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lmjabreu
Huh, I'll have to check into the EXIF tags in a bit, then. Maybe it's the Gallery app not recognizing generic Lat/Long tags in the file an the stock camera app puts a more descriptive location? I'll take a few more photos with a clear view of the sky and check the results.

[update]

Huh, interesting. There must be some sort of background extra processing going on by the N1 after the photo was taken. Here's what happened:

I took a photo with a clear shot of the sky and got the little target icon. I opened this file and it does have GPS tags that look similar to the stock camera's tags. But when I went to the N1's Gallery app, the file said "Unknown location". Flickr showed the GPS tags but did not seem to automatically add the photo's location to a map. And Picasa shows Latitude and Longitude as "n/a". That sounds like it's the same with the stock camera though, since the GPS tags from EXIF look to be the same. So that's something different for me to look into.

But! After I was looking at the online photo apps, I went back to Gallery and guess what? The photo now had location information under the Info menu! I guess the N1 must do some processing in the background to match up the GPS coordinates to an address lookup.

So it looks like this hacked camera app is doing everything well - camera, video, and even the geotagging works (at least as well as the stock app geotags). Excellent work on this, Paul! The N1 community and I all are grateful to you for the work you and others do to enhance this device :P

[/update]

Indeed, there is background processing of the photo location, you can see processed data on your sdcard under /Android/data/com.cooliris.media/cache.

BTW: looking forward to a version of this camera that saves files the same way the stock app does. And I'm hoping I'll have time to change the resources to match the default camera, instead of those bubbly buttons, embossed bars and UI elements that do not match the default Android UI.

Guest gr8gorilla
Does the change to the boot.img still flash over the OC-UV kernels?

Paul,

What portion if the boot image are the camera files in? Can I flash a zImage over this and it still work? If not can I split the boot.img, add in the scorpion acpu clock with the voltage and freqs that I want and then merge it back together? I am pretty sure I can but just wondering where exactly the code is, and is the source available somewhere?

Guest rabhw

Hey Paul,

I and a few others still seem to be getting FC's the moment a picture is taken. The picture takes fine and the image file is written, but you have to re-open the camera application.

I have a logcat of what's happening, hopefully this helps you fix it, or helps you help me! :P I should mention I'm on CM 5.0.5.3. Using Tek's 0.7 (no BFS) kernel, cooked from the kitchen here.

E/QualcommCameraHardware(   96): File error, /system/fake_sys_store/low_temp_limit

E/QualcommCameraHardware(   96): error in read /system/fake_sys_store/low_temp_limit

E/QualcommCameraHardware(   96): File error, //system/fake_sys_store/low_cap_limit

E/QualcommCameraHardware(   96): error in read //system/fake_sys_store/low_cap_limit

E/QualcommCameraHardware(   96): File error, /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_temp

E/QualcommCameraHardware(   96): error in read /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_temp

E/mm-camera 8x vfe(   96): vfe_util_updaterollofftbl: sensor doesn't support rolloff correction by VFE

E/AndroidRuntime( 3338): Uncaught handler: thread Thread-8 exiting due to uncaught exception

E/AndroidRuntime( 3338): java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.htc.util.media.ImageUtil

E/AndroidRuntime( 3338): at com.android.camera.CameraThread$MainHandler.handleMessage(CameraThread.java:1016)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3338): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3338): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3338): at com.android.camera.CameraThread.run(CameraThread.java:1674)

E/dalvikvm( 3338): Unable to open stack trace file '/data/anr/traces.txt': Permission denied

Edited by rabhw

Guest mtw4991

Happy to report that I updated to the Desire camera app from Paul's links and it works like a charm, video also!

Did a nandroid (in case), saved zip to sd card, booted to recovery, flashed from zip, reboot, BINGO! Maybe 5 mins...WOW!

Plus, it is storing photos to the stock picture gallery, just labeled 100media instead of camera and they show side-by-side. Video uploaded to as Quick Time Player video though...not sure if it's a + or -. Gonna do some more testing with various apps and will report any bugs.

Joined and donated today....Awesome work Paul !!! Ignore my pm also, figured it out myself, thx.

Guest Zephyron

It appears that the camera FC's a lot more when baked with tek's .7 kernel. I baked it without tek's kernel and I dont experience anymore FCs

Guest nitroboost

So it sounds like something in the boot process/initrd must be modified to support this new camera since we can reflash whatever kernel we choose? Is it possible to get this workin on a stock ROM? If it is I'll go unpack one of those boot.img and pull out all the needed stuff, but I assume getting those htc frameworks loaded might be our show stopper..

Guest nitroboost
Yes, it is possible to get this working on a stock ROM. I can pretty easily make a 'stock ROM package'...?

P

That would be awesome.

I've been modding the stock rom with stuff as I see fit.. cyan is just too bloated for me. I did the install manually on my stock rom, but CM/MCR uses /etc/init.d in the initrd which doesn't exist in the stock rom so I couldn't boot and had to flash back. Was too lazy to break out the initrd.gz and find out what changed heh.

Great work on the Camera .apk Paul do you think you will be able to mod it so the light can be on while using the view finder as taking night time shots is pretty much guess work at the mo.

Guest lars1110
.... and what about the HTC widgets ??? ... i use the Sense interface only for a couple of widgets like friendstream and time and weather.

Could it be possible ?? .... Thx Paul.

its not posible. you need the rosie framework witch is part of sence. i wish though that would be cool

Great work on the Camera .apk Paul do you think you will be able to mod it so the light can be on while using the view finder as taking night time shots is pretty much guess work at the mo.

Yeah, I am looking into this. :P

P

Guest pagetronic

Sorry for my english :P

On a normal camera when you push the button, there nothing, it's when you release the button that the photo is taken

Here it's when you clic, release has no effect

Guest chunga

BUG:

Try to use a software to snap and pick the snapped photo, it doesn't work. ex: touiteur, twicca

I think this issue is because the gallery was replaced by the stock one.

Also the annoying folder issue is not good

Guest Breece

For me geotagging does not work... Shows the target icon, but says "Unknown location" (Newest Modaco 2.1, installed the camera together with the Rom)

I am wondering, did the "original" camera use the cell tower geotags aswell?

[€dit]

Looked at the pictures on my computer and they have GPS tags (which look exactly like the "old" ones)

So it's the gallery... Sometimes it takes ages to "load" all the pictures... maybe I will have to flash again... Is it possible only flash the gallery?

Edited by Breece

Guest FrustratedOne

Can I install the zip for Cyanogenmod onto my current ROM for this camera or do I absolutely need to reflash? I don't want to lose all my stuff again.