Losing Home Screens on Cynogen with Modaco Mods

Guest Gib W.

Guest Gib W.

Hi,

I've been lurking for two months and have found a lot of the discussion useful.

Please forgive if I've missed a post or known issue.

I have a Nexus One that I'd been using the HTC Sense alphas on until the latest, when it seemed a little wonky. I wiped and installed the Cynogen ROM here with the Modaco additions that's currently available as of 3/27/10.

I personalized my home screen over a day or so and was adding the very last shortcut for a home screen. My phone spontaneously rebooted to a home screen that was missing almost all of my personalizations and short cuts (it had my live wall paper and retro clock widget, but nothing else).

I wiped the unit again, reinstalled the ROM, and re personalized everything. I made an Nandroid backup.

I put my phone in its dock to charge overnight, and this morning all the personalizations were gone again except for the live wallpaper and the retro clock (which had somehow moved from the main home screen to another home screen).

I wiped the unit and did a Nandroid restore, but the home screens did not come back.

Q: Has anyone else seen spontaneous reboots and loss of home screens?

Q: Is there a cure?

Q: Is there an effective way to backup home screen information? Titanium backup and Nandroid do not seem to back up this information.

Adding direct contact shortcuts, Foursquare checkins, photo frames, etc., are the thing that is the most time consuming so it would be great to be able to back this information up somehow when flashing ROMs.

Guest Zephyron

I've never had this problem before, do you use a launcher replacement like home++, launcher2? if you do it might have reverted back to the stock homescreen. Try pressing the home soft key to see if it gives u options to pick your launcher.

Guest lars1110
I don´t have this problem too. I´m using Cyanogen-5.0.5.3 with Manup456 NextTheme. All works fine... no FC... :P

Cheers.

hmm interesting. jw are you using a home screen replacement by any chance???

Guest Gib W.
I've never had this problem before, do you use a launcher replacement like home++, launcher2? if you do it might have reverted back to the stock homescreen. Try pressing the home soft key to see if it gives u options to pick your launcher.

no, I'm not using a launcher replacement.

This is Cynogen with and without Modaco mods. I use live wall papers and have a ton of apps and shortcuts I put onto my home screens, but no special home screen replacement.

Guest Gib W.

Just to update everyone -- the problem persists.

I have wiped and reinstalled Cynogen WITHOUT mods from Modaco, and the results are pretty similar.

Works fine and great and then I reboot or it reboots itself and I keep my live wall paper, but the shortcuts aren't the same as what I set up -- most are gone.

Also, for what it's worth, the same weird shortcuts appear on the main home screen:

Google widget (in stock location)

Messaging (in stock location -- I always delete this because I put Google Voice there)

Market (in stock location)

Browser (in stock location)

Maps (in stock location)

Also, Gesture search appears in the second row flush left.

Screen two includes two two apps on that screen in stock location (Gmail and Talk) but a calendar widget at the top appears.

The Gallery app appears on its usual, stock screen and location, but the Camera app shortcut is missing.

Curiouser and curioser.

I will be shopping for a more stable ROM, but honestly thought Cynogen was the most stable ROM around.

If I knew how to backup home screen information so I could restore it, I could live with this ROM.