Can you downgrade the ROM with locked bootloader?

Guest TaiChi

Guest TaiChi

Installed EPE76 then read it is the EU version and Facebook isn't working. Also noticed the "Fandango" App does not appear in the Marketplace anymore. I'd like to downgrade to an earlier ROM, but my bootloader is locked and I'd rather not unlock it at this time.

I tried to downgrade to EPE54B using the PASSIMG method but it says that a newer version is found and fails.

I've also tried to use the 'update.zip' formatted files like ERD79 renamed as update.zip (no, not update.zip.zip) and that fails the signature check.

Am I SOL until a newer US version comes out with a build number higher than the EU build?

Thanks in advance,

TaiChi

Guest lars1110
Installed EPE76 then read it is the EU version and Facebook isn't working. Also noticed the "Fandango" App does not appear in the Marketplace anymore. I'd like to downgrade to an earlier ROM, but my bootloader is locked and I'd rather not unlock it at this time.

I tried to downgrade to EPE54B using the PASSIMG method but it says that a newer version is found and fails.

I've also tried to use the 'update.zip' formatted files like ERD79 renamed as update.zip (no, not update.zip.zip) and that fails the signature check.

Am I SOL until a newer US version comes out with a build number higher than the EU build?

Thanks in advance,

TaiChi

i havnt had that problem when my bootloader was locked it wouldnt give me such error? maybe try and download a differnt passing rom.

Guest TaiChi
How did you install EPE76 without unlocking your bootloader? Was it just an OTA update?

Grabbed the complete image file from the sticky in this forum that has all the ROMs, renamed it to PASSIMG.zip and flashed. In fact I did ALL of the updates since the original shipping ROM that way.

It would have been nice if Paul had put a little *EU ONLY mention next to the EPE76 ROM in that thread though. I know it's my own fault for not reading the entire thread and other EPE76 topics in the forum, but my understanding of a sticky discussion is that the first post gets updated with the most current information so by reading that initial post you get everything you need to know and don't have to sort through 19 pages of "Thanks Paul!" and "w00t!" replies. :P

Edited by TaiChi

Guest Master_Ne0
Grabbed the complete image file from the sticky in this forum that has all the ROMs, renamed it to PASSIMG.zip and flashed. In fact I did ALL of the updates since the original shipping ROM that way.

It would have been nice if Paul had put a little *EU ONLY mention next to the EPE76 ROM in that thread though. I know it's my own fault for not reading the entire thread and other EPE76 topics in the forum, but my understanding of a sticky discussion is that the first post gets updated with the most current information so by reading that initial post you get everything you need to know and don't have to sort through 19 pages of "Thanks Paul!" and "w00t!" replies. :P

Ok, i have missed something here, been out the loop too long. What is the PASSIMG method? and do you have any links to How To's? Would help me a lot, thanks.

Guest TaiChi
Ok, i have missed something here, been out the loop too long. What is the PASSIMG method? and do you have any links to How To's? Would help me a lot, thanks.

1. Download the complete image format from the thread I referenced above.

2. Rename the file to PASSIMG.zip and copy it to the root of the SD Card.

3. Power off phone.

4. Hold VOL Down, then press and release Power. (Keep holding Vol Down until the boot menu comes up).

5. Release VOL Down and the menu will automatically detect the PASSIMG.zip file, verify it is ok and then prompt you Yes/No if you want to to the upgrade.

I think you just click the trackball to say yes and the rest us automatic. It updates like 8 items (recovery, system, radio, etc) then when done asks you to reboot.

It's really simple -- but be warned -- THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA AND RETURN YOUR PHONE TO A NEW/STOCK STATE. When you first boot up again you will need to go through the welcome to Andriod menus, etc.

I had synched my account to Google though so it pulled down everything for me as soon as I entered my information again. Even the Marketplace maintained a list of my previously downlaoded applications so all I needed to do was go to the Downloads tab and re-install the items in that list. I've tried to back out the EPE76 ROM a number of times over the weekend though with no success. On the plus side though I've gotten so good at recovery that I can now flash my ROM and have my phone completely back in about 5 mintues.

Oh - one more thing - you lose your call and text histories. Those aren't backed up by Google. I think that was about all I noticed I was missing when doing the complete image upgrade. Aside from missing Facebook sync of course. :P