Y5 and Wifi Tether 2.0 conflict?

Guest tasty

Guest tasty

Greetings, my weekend project was rooting my phone and I played with the wifi tether briefly last night. Things went great, I was happy. :(

Today at lunch, no dice. I could see it as a device on my laptop, but then when I connected, it never registered the connection on the N1 or through wifi tether so I just got a self-assigned IP address. :P

Tonight, similar results, but once I disabled Y5 (for managing wireless consumption of battery), and then explicitly killed wifi in the Settings menu, I could reliably initiate tether and get online (posting via 3G at the moment). If I disable Y5, but didn't turn off wifi in Settings, it still wouldn't connect. Never got USB tether to work (but didn't try last night, so that's moot) but I can live without that for the moment.

I can work around it by putting both the power widget and wifi tether icon on the same home screen and then doing a quick switcheroo before the system figures out what I'm doing (done twice so far), but it's a pain that I thought wouldn't exist. Ideas? Anyone had this happen without Y5?

edit: doing bluetooth is more reliable, but only because the rabid wifi keeps wanting to turn itself on (even after intentionally saying no). The more I tinker with this, the more it looks like a general "wifi is agressive in searching and tramples the tether" then a "Y5 won't let the tether to complete", or they are two separate but valid issues.

Edited by tasty