Best radio for fringe 3G areas

Guest mm81

In my area (Kirkland, WA) lovely AT&T has decent 3g signal strength on the 850 mhz band (-85 - -100), but the 1900 mhz is terrible (-103 - -113) as such my previous phone (iPhone 3GS) often handed calls off to EDGE with very few actual drops. Now the N1 I got today, tends to drop those calls instead of handing them off.

So my question is: Are there any roms that are better in fringe service areas, and/or better at 3G -> EDGE handoffs?

Guest thelucster
In my area (Kirkland, WA) lovely AT&T has decent 3g signal strength on the 850 mhz band (-85 - -100), but the 1900 mhz is terrible (-103 - -113) as such my previous phone (iPhone 3GS) often handed calls off to EDGE with very few actual drops. Now the N1 I got today, tends to drop those calls instead of handing them off.

So my question is: Are there any roms that are better in fringe service areas, and/or better at 3G -> EDGE handoffs?

If you haven't already I would suggest updating to the latest (official) firmware. There have been a number of radio updates, so if you aren't on the latest this may help. All the custom ROMs will be using the same stock radio firmware, so if after updating you still have issues you are probably out of luck. It might be worth contacting Google customer support, if you still have the call dropping issue with the latest update.

Guest physikal
Yeah, the phone came with update1, and its having issues left and right with signal. Hmmmm.

I am actually in the same area as you, kirkland/redmond WA. I have the same problem. It drives me absolutely nuts that I spent $500 on a phone and my cheap G1 worked 10x better than this thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My phone is on update1 and Baseband Version: 32.24.00.22U_4.03.00.21_2

Edited by physikal

Guest happyandy
I am actually in the same area as you, kirkland/redmond WA. I have the same problem. It drives me absolutely nuts that I spent $500 on a phone and my cheap G1 worked 10x better than this thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My phone is on update1 and Baseband Version: 32.24.00.22U_4.03.00.21_2

yeah i'm having the same issue up in canada. basically i'm with this new carrier called "wind" that just arrived using the 1700/2100 UMTS spectrum (like t-mo) and i'm stuck between two towers that are quite the distance between eachother sorta like a fringe area, and any help with a better radio would be worth it, lol i didn't intend on spending $500for nothing..

Edited by happyandy