HTC Desire £348.99 on T-Mo PAYG (easy unlock and de-brand)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Calamity James
HTC Desire £348.99 on T-Mo PAYG (easy unlock and de-brand) - bargainous!

http://bit.ly/9ooVPj [aff]

P

That's a pretty good price! I almost wish i'd done that, I've noticed T-Mobile's PAYG deals are actually pretty good, £10 a month top up gets you unlimited texts and data!

Guest Scottland
That's a pretty good price! I almost wish i'd done that, I've noticed T-Mobile's PAYG deals are actually pretty good, £10 a month top up gets you unlimited texts and data!

Are they actually branded and locked from MobilePhones Direct then? Their contract phones aren't AFAIK?

Guest FrogPulse

But only £164+ 2 years @£10 a month with unlimited internet&text(with 100 minutes).

If it only had a dock like the nexus..

Guest emotiveicon

Hey guys,

I'm planning on purchasing this deal now that there's an easy way to de-brand the ROM with a gold card. Only question is: does this phone actually have the T-mobile logo printed on its exterior? If so, I'd rather just pay extra for an unlocked one!

Edited by emotiveicon

Guest airwave88

I'm not affiliated in any way to the companies below, I've just been chasing prices in the last weeks and here's what I found if you don't want to go through the unlocking/de-branding thing:

Unlocked, unbranded HTC Desire - 387 GBP (including VAT) at Clove (best price I've found so far): http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?Ma...9D-F9230F032E7E

Closer to Central Europe - 11315 CZK (equals 395 GBP) at Alfacomp.cz: http://www.alfacomp.cz/php/index.php?eid=1...;SearchSubmit=1

Still thinking, but I'll probably stop by at Alfacomp as soon as they stock it (considering the 18/25 GBP for shipping from Clove).

Edited by airwave88

Guest scotch whisky
Hey guys,

I'm planning on purchasing this deal now that there's an easy way to de-brand the ROM with a gold card. Only question is: does this phone actually have the T-mobile logo printed on its exterior? If so, I'd rather just pay extra for an unlocked one!

No T-mobile logos anywhere.

Guest emotiveicon
No T-mobile logos anywhere.

Thank you, Scotch (and @PaulOBrien via Twitter)! Order placed and now I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day :P

Guest danlad79

I ordered this today from mobilephonesdirect @ £350 quid.

Yes it seems a lot upfront compared to a contract, however it is actually cost price, and is the exact amount that appears to be factored in to all the contract tarrifs. For example, the best usable contract deals factor in £350 for the phone, and then just over £10/month for the actual tarrif. So for example the t-mobile deal offering 300 mins, 300 texts, internet, 18 month contract, £25/month, £95 upfront = £545 over 18 months. If you less the cost price of 350 for the phone, you are effectively paying 195 for the tarrif over 18 months, which equals £10.83 per month which is about right, and not much less than a PAYG with offering the same texts/mins/internet.

Me personally, I still have 11 months contract left on my HTC Hero (£30/month), and so paying this off to get a new contract/upgrade would be costly and not make sense. So i have bought the phone for £350 and will pop my sim card into it. Due to the phone being cost price, doing this is cheaper cost-wise than asking t-mobile to extend my contract for 18 months and send me out a free htc desire - something they wouldnt do anyway!.

On top of this, I've also traded in my HTC hero for £100, and my even older N958GB for £100 too, meaning the phone is costing me £150, and at the end of the 11 months when my hero tarrif expires, i'll be able to trade the Desire back in, for probably about £150 again, the price i paid for the phone. I can then get a new phone again on a new tarrif in 11 months time.

Guest JohnConnor

danlad79,

hope you've had a delivery today!

Anything to report? I assume it's locked to T-Mobile (hopefully they haven't interfered with the phone too much).

Guest h00pyfr00d

I've just bought one from mobilephonesdirect.

£25pcm on an 18 month contract with free handset. Works out at £450 over the period of the contract.

Not too shabby.

Guest JohnConnor

Has anyone had their Desire from MobilePhonesDirect, and did they deliver the next day? (Their website states orders before 3pm will be delivered next day, subject to credit check where appropriate).

Been reading some reviews of the site and most aren't very complimentary :P

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews168318.html

Edited by JohnConnor

Guest h00pyfr00d
Has anyone had their Desire from MobilePhonesDirect, and did they deliver the next day? (Their website states orders before 3pm will be delivered next day, subject to credit check where appropriate).

Been reading some reviews of the site and most aren't very complimentary :P

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews168318.html

Mine arrived the day after the following day (this morning actually). They were very good when I rang their customer service though.

At the moment mine's making phone calls but caller ID isn't working, I can't send any text messages and don't have the internet so I'm hoping it's an activation thing. Anyone else getting this?

The phone is lovely though. So fast and smooth and can finally type without getting random lag symbols.

Guest JohnConnor
Mine arrived the day after the following day (this morning actually). They were very good when I rang their customer service though.

At the moment mine's making phone calls but caller ID isn't working, I can't send any text messages and don't have the internet so I'm hoping it's an activation thing. Anyone else getting this?

The phone is lovely though. So fast and smooth and can finally type without getting random lag symbols.

Thanks for the update. It does sound like it's the activation only partially done, fingers crossed.

I cancelled my order, hasn't been despatched yet and I'm going away tomorrow. I'll probably get a sim-free one from Phones4U next week (if they ever get them in)...

Guest h00pyfr00d

Just to add to it, my phone arrived Sim unlocked with the latest firmware which is good.

I've been on hold with their technical support for 20 minutes now about the activation thing (they say not to contact the network directly) which is bad.

Swings and roundabouts.