HTC Desire £348.99 on T-Mo PAYG (easy unlock and de-brand)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest h00pyfr00d
Hope they can sort it (or it sorts itself), please keep us posted.

Well after half an hour they told me I was put through to the wrong dept but then a helpful chap told me they disable text and internet when they send out the phone because they send the Sim at the same time and if it falls into the wrong hands someone could rack up a big bill. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but apparently that's the case. No explanation why I can still make calls though.

Anywho, since my Desire isn't Sim blocked I'll use my Orange contract Sim in it until the T-Mobile one activates and since I've finally managed to Sim unlock my Hero (apparently only works if you're on a 1.5 ROM) I've got my new T-Mobile Sim in there, eagerly waiting for the 3G logo to appear...or hopefully the H logo.

Guest emotiveicon
Anything to report? I assume it's locked to T-Mobile (hopefully they haven't interfered with the phone too much).

I ordered the T-Mobile PAYG Desire from Mobilephonesdirect and it turned up today. It's a completely SIM-FREE device. No branding on the ROM or the phone itself. I just slipped my Vodafone SIM straight in and it worked off the bat!

Brilliant! Now I don't have to bother with getting a code for the SIM or flashing a de-branded ROM with the goldcard method. Well pleased!

The Desire is everything that the Hero should have been when it first came out. Can't wait for Paul to get busy in the kitchen once he's able to :P

Guest h00pyfr00d
Good news all round then. Thanks for the updates.

I have to say without an Amon Ra recovery image and a Nandroid backup I don't feel as confident though. :-)

JohnConnor. Word of advice. If a big Austrian chap comes knocking for you, I'd run. Better still, ride away on a motorbike listening to Guns N' Roses.

Guest JohnConnor
I have to say without an Amon Ra recovery image and a Nandroid backup I don't feel as confident though. :-)

JohnConnor. Word of advice. If a big Austrian chap comes knocking for you, I'd run. Better still, ride away on a motorbike listening to Guns N' Roses.

:P

Thanks for the tip, I hear I've got a big job coming up and could do with all the help I can get...

Guest zippyioa
a helpful chap told me they disable text and internet when they send out the phone because they send the Sim at the same time and if it falls into the wrong hands someone could rack up a big bill. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but apparently that's the case. No explanation why I can still make calls though.

Hey hoopyfrood

Mobile Phones Direct said something similar to me in August when I bought my Hero on Vodafone and couldnt get online. I doubted their reply because I bought it in their Oxford store so why would it come with that security?!

After a few days of back and forth I gave up with them and went into the local Vodafone store. They found that I had been given an old SIM card which couldnt be activated for NET usage - apparently. They swapped the SIM card and reactivated me - all worked well from there.

Maybe its worth a trip to the network supplier?

zippyioa

Guest darknrg
danlad79,

hope you've had a delivery today!

Anything to report? I assume it's locked to T-Mobile (hopefully they haven't interfered with the phone too much).

I purchased from mobile phone direct got it in 3 days. I thought my phone was locked to T-mobile but tried my 3 Sim anyway, to my surprise it worked!!!

Guest goodbrand

seems they have stopped offering this on payg ;) On friday it was preorder... hopefully it will come back soon!!!

failing that, I'm gonna have to be pay that little extra for it...

Guest goodbrand
3 are currently selling the sim free unbranded version for £349.99 P&G.

got mine yesterday. ;)

Hi Brian,

did you pick this up in the shop or online?

Guest phrozenpenguin
3 are currently selling the sim free unbranded version for £349.99 P&G.

got mine yesterday. :huh:

Can you confirm it is definitely sim free and unbranded? I asked the sales guy and he told me it was locked. Otherwise I would have walked out with one.

Guest Br1an_g
Can you confirm it is definitely sim free and unbranded? I asked the sales guy and he told me it was locked. Otherwise I would have walked out with one.

it is the generic HTC version. havent checked if its unlocked but its not branded. and im pretty sure the HTC generic version has no sim lock.

the 3 branded version will be launched from 3rd may according to the 3 Blog: http://blog.three.co.uk/2010/04/01/htc-des...nch-date-price/

Guest phrozenpenguin
it is the generic HTC version. havent checked if its unlocked but its not branded. and im pretty sure the HTC generic version has no sim lock.

the 3 branded version will be launched from 3rd may according to the 3 Blog: http://blog.three.co.uk/2010/04/01/htc-des...nch-date-price/

Thanks. Any chance of testing if it is locked - or a link to confirm either way?