Confused, Frustrated, and in need of uber help!

Guest ianoreo

Guest ianoreo

I'm not sure how to start this. The nexus one is my first android phone, for starters. A few weeks after getting it (I bought the unlocked version), someone showed me the N1 torch app. I NEEDED TO HAVE IT!!!! So, I figured out that I had to "root" my phone, whatever that meant. I went through the process of rooting and I guess also "unlocking the bootloader". Now when I start up, I have the lock symbol at the bottom of the screen. Anyway, my first problem came with the update for multitouch. On update I got an error with some sort of signature verification failure. I decided to forget the update for a bit. I then tried later on to try out a custom ROM. I went through the Cyanogen thingy ma bob (sorry, I'm clueless with terminology). I got the same failure on this one!!! Signature verification failure. I've wiped the phone several times and I am SO lost. Any help at all is absolutely appreciated. I am also interested in trying out the desire ROM. I realize this is just a wall of text of probably dumb issues, but please keep the responses easy for a total noob to understand! Like I said, most of the terminology is completely foreign to me.

Thanks so much,

Ian

I'm not sure how to start this. The nexus one is my first android phone, for starters. A few weeks after getting it (I bought the unlocked version), someone showed me the N1 torch app. I NEEDED TO HAVE IT!!!! So, I figured out that I had to "root" my phone, whatever that meant. I went through the process of rooting and I guess also "unlocking the bootloader". Now when I start up, I have the lock symbol at the bottom of the screen. Anyway, my first problem came with the update for multitouch. On update I got an error with some sort of signature verification failure. I decided to forget the update for a bit. I then tried later on to try out a custom ROM. I went through the Cyanogen thingy ma bob (sorry, I'm clueless with terminology). I got the same failure on this one!!! Signature verification failure. I've wiped the phone several times and I am SO lost. Any help at all is absolutely appreciated. I am also interested in trying out the desire ROM. I realize this is just a wall of text of probably dumb issues, but please keep the responses easy for a total noob to understand! Like I said, most of the terminology is completely foreign to me.

Thanks so much,

Ian

Please tell us the steps you took when you tried to install the rom or cyanogenmod?

Guest ianoreo
Don't be depressed.

Every problem has its solution. Have you flashed a third-party recovery image? For example, the RA-nexus recovery image.

If not, take a look at this post: http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...recovery-image/

Hehe thank you! I'm trying to stay positive :P

Alright so I followed this guide:http://theonda.org/articles/2010/03/07/how-to-hack-your-nexus-one-to-run-cyanogen-for-a-good-performance-boost-and-some-serious-geek-cred

Although I had already gone through the rooting and unlocking the bootloader process, I still followed the guide step by step. I remember receiving various errors throughout the process, although none seemed to hault the overall install. I remember that the "radio update" did not work.

I'd like to do some sort of restart so that I can start fresh, is that possible? I feel like I've messed something up, but maybe I am wrong. In response to your question, I believe that I did this recovery flash on step 17 of this guide. On my mac, the command was "./fastboot flash recovery ./recovery-RA-nexus-v1.6.2.img" which produced the following:

ERROR: could not get pipe properties

sending 'recovery' (3954 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

Thank you so much for the replies!

-Ian

EDIT: I believe that somehow you guys are a good luck charm. I was just able to load the new Desire ROM onto my nexus and complete the install error-free (except for that weird pipe properties error). Now though, I can't get past the HTC White boot screen. Did I mess up somewhere? SORRY FOR THE CHAIN OF ISSUES!!!

Thanks again,

Ian

Edited by ianoreo

Guest MingoChang
Hehe thank you! I'm trying to stay positive :P

Alright so I followed this guide:http://theonda.org/articles/2010/03/07/how-to-hack-your-nexus-one-to-run-cyanogen-for-a-good-performance-boost-and-some-serious-geek-cred

Although I had already gone through the rooting and unlocking the bootloader process, I still followed the guide step by step. I remember receiving various errors throughout the process, although none seemed to hault the overall install. I remember that the "radio update" did not work.

I'd like to do some sort of restart so that I can start fresh, is that possible? I feel like I've messed something up, but maybe I am wrong. In response to your question, I believe that I did this recovery flash on step 17 of this guide. On my mac, the command was "./fastboot flash recovery ./recovery-RA-nexus-v1.6.2.img" which produced the following:

ERROR: could not get pipe properties

sending 'recovery' (3954 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

Thank you so much for the replies!

-Ian

EDIT: I believe that somehow you guys are a good luck charm. I was just able to load the new Desire ROM onto my nexus and complete the install error-free (except for that weird pipe properties error). Now though, I can't get past the HTC White boot screen. Did I mess up somewhere? SORRY FOR THE CHAIN OF ISSUES!!!

Thanks again,

Ian

But in my memory, I've never experienced the error message "ERROR: could not get pipe properties". To flash the recovery image, the phone needs to be plugged into your Mac and press both trackball and power key to turn it on. To ensure that your phone is in the fastboot mode and your Mac can recognize it, first you should check the screen of your phone. There'll be "fastboot usb" shown on your screen. And then type "./fastboot devices" in the terminal of your mac, a string with the serial number of your phone will be returned by the command.

I think there must be some instruction videos on youtube. But I cannot get them for you, since I'm living in China mainland, youtube.com has been restricted by our "great firewall"... Orz