Updating to 1.15.405.4 / Generic'ifying your T-Mo handset

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest The_IMF
...hmmm...

Damn it. I REALLY should read before I rush ahead... DOH.

Well at least the protected apps are showing up for me and I just lost 30 text messages. Hate going through that damn set up process over and over though.

Can't wait for root. Getting annoyed with the lack of space... especially after installing google earth!!!!

Guest mooves

Anyone tried this on the A8183 version? i.e Telstra / AT&T 850/2100Mhz version?

If I compare the Baseband version between my phone and the download they are the same. My build / software versions are both 1.15.841.14.

Update: Yes it does work! :huh: All the Telstra branding is gone. The RUU update is version 1.15.405.3. If you check for updates v1.15.405.4 will be downloaded. :P Quietly Brilliant indeed. After a couple of reboots GPS is working too.

Edited by mooves

Guest nick.price
thanks mooves! I am just about to do the same thing to my phone :huh:

Ruh Roh!

ERROR [130]: MODEL ID ERROR

Mooves, did you use a different RUU file to the one posted by Paul on the first page?

Anyone got any strategies for troubleshooting this error? :P

juicy bits:

HTC Desire

Software number:

Edited by nick.price

Guest nick.price
Which network nick?

P

My service is on the Hutchison/3 network in Australia, but the phone was bought outright unlocked from Hellstra.

One of the main reasons I wanted to do this was to remove the 12 or so crapware links that hellstra put in your all programs list. I can't delete any of them!

oh, and this awesome unrequested feature;

http://phandroid.com/2010/04/26/htc-desire...nection-issues/

GPS doesn't work cause they screwed around with the firmware.

If you can work your magic paul, I'd be very appreciative. do you guys have a donate button?

cheers!

nick

Guest grantus
Anyone tried this on the A8183 version? i.e Telstra / AT&T 850/2100Mhz version?

If I compare the Baseband version between my phone and the download they are the same. My build / software versions are both 1.15.841.14.

Update: Yes it does work! :huh: All the Telstra branding is gone. The RUU update is version 1.15.405.3. If you check for updates v1.15.405.4 will be downloaded. :P Quietly Brilliant indeed. After a couple of reboots GPS is working too.

I was wondering whether any of the members with Telstra phones (and have flashed with the Generic ROM) still encounter GPS lock issues.

Prior to the flash (using GPS test) I had 0 Viewable satellites, post-flash I have about 8, but the bars are all grey and there is still a count of 0 in the "in use" count on the right of the screen. Also, every 5 -10 seconds all the bars (viewable satellites) dissappear and it seems to "refresh" itself.

When tested in the car with google maps, the result is that I will get a lock on a position, but then it is not a smooth movement it will stay in the position and "refresh" its position 100m down the road when it gets another lock.

Just worried now that the GPS issue is more than just firmware, and if so, I'll need to work out a way to get the Telstra ROM back on so that I can return it.

I used the same ROM (1.15.405.3) that was posted by Paul at the start of this thread.

Many thanks.

Guest jameson_uk
Hi, I've got some terrible problems when I flash the Rom. It appears "ERROR [131]: CUSTOMER ID ERROR" and then my phone restarts to the original rom. the phone is a T-Mo contract phone.

Was getting this with orange. This is what I did before starting the first step (when I got it to work)

First off I needed to unlock the phone (HTCCode.com gave me a code but ignore their standard 15 Euro thing they tell you about on the front page as you need to read the forum thread and send E25/US35 to get an unlock code for the Desire). I removed the SIM during update but not sure if this made any difference or not

To create a gold card you also need to ensure you have USB debugging enabled (setting | applications | development | USB Debugging)

Once you have done this then you can start doing following the guide.

Other than that guide worked great and now I have a fully unlocked phone with no trace of the Orange crap that was installed previously :huh:

Edited by jameson_uk

Guest nick.price

Ok, did it again with a different microSD card and created the goldcard from within the phone on USB mode not in an external card reader!

Huge thanks paul, this ROM is far better than the telstra piece of crap! Also, my GPS works now :huh:

You deserve many medals! And next payday, I will buy a year subscription to modaco pro :P

Guest mooves

I used the 1.15.405.3 release previously posted. If you can't find it let me know and I will upload it.

Ruh Roh!

ERROR [130]: MODEL ID ERROR

Mooves, did you use a different RUU file to the one posted by Paul on the first page?

Anyone got any strategies for troubleshooting this error? :huh:

juicy bits:

HTC Desire

Software number:

Guest mooves

After I flashed it GPS still wouldn't lock until I restarted the device. I think there are still some intermittent issues with it. ie. Using My Maps at start of a journey on a mountain bike, the GPS was locked on but at the end it wasn't and also no data connection (Vodafone) :huh:

Will need to do some more testing.

At this point there isn't a way to get the original Telstra ROM back on. Either way if it is a hardware issue we can send them direct to an authorised HTC repairer for repair. The warranty is with HTC not Telstra and we are using a genuine HTC ROM.

I was wondering whether any of the members with Telstra phones (and have flashed with the Generic ROM) still encounter GPS lock issues.

Prior to the flash (using GPS test) I had 0 Viewable satellites, post-flash I have about 8, but the bars are all grey and there is still a count of 0 in the "in use" count on the right of the screen. Also, every 5 -10 seconds all the bars (viewable satellites) dissappear and it seems to "refresh" itself.

When tested in the car with google maps, the result is that I will get a lock on a position, but then it is not a smooth movement it will stay in the position and "refresh" its position 100m down the road when it gets another lock.

Just worried now that the GPS issue is more than just firmware, and if so, I'll need to work out a way to get the Telstra ROM back on so that I can return it.

I used the same ROM (1.15.405.3) that was posted by Paul at the start of this thread.

Many thanks.

Edited by mooves

Guest David_P

Hi there,

I have followed the goldcard guide and hex edited thru to and including line 170 on a 2gb sandisk. The card is in the phone but the sim is not (it's a desire from Orange with all the crap on it) and I have encountered the 131 CID error when running the RUU. What should I try next??

A bit of a noob question I know but I am sure I copy pasted the ID for the goldcard image correctly and edited the MicroSD card with HxD as describe :-S

David

Guest lanxton
Hi there,

I have followed the goldcard guide and hex edited thru to and including line 170 on a 2gb sandisk. The card is in the phone but the sim is not (it's a desire from Orange with all the crap on it) and I have encountered the 131 CID error when running the RUU. What should I try next??

A bit of a noob question I know but I am sure I copy pasted the ID for the goldcard image correctly and edited the MicroSD card with HxD as describe :-S

David

Before starting to make the goldcard, I have heard that a full format of the sdcard (not quickformat) might help. Also, when pasting the "goldcard code" into the MBR of the sdcard, I think you only have to select the first field "0000" and paste. The code should then just fill up to the end of line 170 by itself.

Guest David_P
Before starting to make the goldcard, I have heard that a full format of the sdcard (not quickformat) might help. Also, when pasting the "goldcard code" into the MBR of the sdcard, I think you only have to select the first field "0000" and paste. The code should then just fill up to the end of line 170 by itself.

Thanks for that. I did start the goldcard process again, this time formatting the card on the PC as fat32 and then again once it was in the phone. I went through the whole process to get another new goldcard image file as well and somehow this time it all worked!!

I am orange crap free! Yay!!!

Thanks to Paul and all of your for your awesome support of fellow 'droid lovers :-)

David

Guest NutsyUk
Is anyone else on the latest Rom finding Android market to be lacking a few key apps? I see no Google Earth or Doodle Jump for example.

Yeah i found that too...

Any idea why?

Guest tonemgub

hi guys,

I was just wondering what actually happens when an error occurs? does it just return you to the original (branded) rom again, or once you've started is there no way back and you need to keep digging until it's fixed? I really want to get rid of the Orange branding but I'm nervous about bricking my shiny new phone!

Guest Mad Majk

Hello there!

I have some questions regarding this topic:

1. Can I flash this ROM to an unbranded Desire (bought in Switzerland)?

2. If "yes" to Q1, can it be done without the GoldCard?

3. Does this ROM support polish language for the OS? (the ROM I have now has the polish language for keyboard only, not for the OS)

Cheers!

Edited by Paul

Guest kimble123

HTC DESIRE ON ORANGE UK: REINSTATING THE ROM - A FOOLS GUIDE

Essentially this guide is both these combined but with more detail for relative idiots like me.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...r-t-mo-handset/

And the second guide i used is here.

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to-create-a-goldcard/

CREATING A GOLD CARD

I’m not totally sure exactly why or what a gold card is – but this should give you the howto

This element is the bulk of the procedure and the most difficult to accomplish. I tried it with various micro SD cards to no avail. Unlockr recommended I use a 2GB Kingston SD card and in the end I resorted to purchasing one and it seemed to do the trick. I can’t say for sure that is why it finally worked as I may have messed up steps on my previous attempts so do go ahead and try with ones you have.

Download and install HTC sync http://www.htc.com/uk/

Download and EXTRACT the android SDK .zip file to c:\androidsdk http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html you don’t have to install it –basically it contains a tools folder that we will be using in a mo.

Put the Card you are using in your phone

Plug it into the PC with the USB cable (FYI - I have Windows 7)

Choose connection type – HTC sync

Go to SETTINGS/APPLICATIONS/DEVELOPMENT and tick USB debugging

Go to SETTINGS/SD & PHONE STORAGE and then press UNMOUNT SD CARD

Then format the card – it should remount

Then –type cmd in your run box at the bottom of your start menu which will bring up the command prompt. Then type

cd\

Hit enter - This takes you down the hierarchy to the root of the c drive – it should read C:\

Then type

cd androidsdk\tools\

Hit enter - This takes you to the tools folder in the androidsdk folder

Then type

adb devices

Hit enter - This step – as far as I can ascertain is to establish whether the next procedure is possible – is checks if the Desire is connected in a usable way. If successful it should show the phones serial number - eg

cd androidsdk\tools>adb devices

List of devices attached

HT041PLO5683 device

If it does - then now to retrieve the HEX number you will need to create the gold card. Now type.

Abd shell

Hit enter - Then type

cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid

A long code will display – as example - here is mine 02544d5341303247049c2a5ed2009bc2. Type it out – and check it!

Then go here http://hexrev.soaa.me/ which is the brilliant Soaa-'s lame GoldCard hex reverse page and hit Submit

Copy the result and through to here http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard and save the .img file they email you.

Download and install HxD Hex Editor. http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/30...&tag=button

IMPORTANT – run the HxD application as administrator by right click its short cut and choosing “run as administrator”

Goto EXTRAS/OPENDISK uncheck OPEN AS READ ONLY FIRST then choose the htc from the physical disk NOT the logical disk . Press OK when prompted for 'Sector Size' (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)

Goto EXTRAS/OPEN DISK IMAGE and find your way to the image file you were sent by email.

You should now have two tabs - one is your SD card, the other is your goldcard image

Click on the goldcard image tab. Go to the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Select All' then select the 'Edit' menu again and select 'Copy'.

Click on the 'Removable Disk' tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste Write'. What you are doing is replacing the information at the top of your SD card with the information contained in the image file.

Click on the 'File' menu and select 'Save', accepting the warning.

You now have a Gold card in your phone which will allow it to accept the rewrite and grey hair.

Last thing to do is download this file RUU-MoDaCo-Bravo-1.15.405.4-release.exe and run the dam thing – it will do the rest for you. I found it here...

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...r-t-mo-handset/ and i’m pretty sure paul is the chap who made this all possible. That said – sometimes the link is broken, and some of the downloads were corrupt – but keep going - you have got this far....

Final word is – if it wont let you complete the upgrade then, as far as i can figure out, you didn’t make a gold card. But the 2gb Kingston Micro sd card and try again - it appears that not all sd cards work.

W

Guest tiger33
HTC DESIRE ON ORANGE UK: REINSTATING THE ROM - A FOOLS GUIDE

Essentially this guide is both these combined but with more detail for relative idiots like me.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...r-t-mo-handset/

And the second guide i used is here.

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to-create-a-goldcard/

CREATING A GOLD CARD

I’m not totally sure exactly why or what a gold card is – but this should give you the howto

This element is the bulk of the procedure and the most difficult to accomplish. I tried it with various micro SD cards to no avail. Unlockr recommended I use a 2GB Kingston SD card and in the end I resorted to purchasing one and it seemed to do the trick. I can’t say for sure that is why it finally worked as I may have messed up steps on my previous attempts so do go ahead and try with ones you have.

Download and install HTC sync http://www.htc.com/uk/

Download and EXTRACT the android SDK .zip file to c:\androidsdk http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html you don’t have to install it –basically it contains a tools folder that we will be using in a mo.

Put the Card you are using in your phone

Plug it into the PC with the USB cable (FYI - I have Windows 7)

Choose connection type – HTC sync

Go to SETTINGS/APPLICATIONS/DEVELOPMENT and tick USB debugging

Go to SETTINGS/SD & PHONE STORAGE and then press UNMOUNT SD CARD

Then format the card – it should remount

Then –type cmd in your run box at the bottom of your start menu which will bring up the command prompt. Then type

cd\

Hit enter - This takes you down the hierarchy to the root of the c drive – it should read C:\

Then type

cd androidsdk\tools\

Hit enter - This takes you to the tools folder in the androidsdk folder

Then type

adb devices

Hit enter - This step – as far as I can ascertain is to establish whether the next procedure is possible – is checks if the Desire is connected in a usable way. If successful it should show the phones serial number - eg

cd androidsdk\tools>adb devices

List of devices attached

HT041PLO5683 device

If it does - then now to retrieve the HEX number you will need to create the gold card. Now type.

Abd shell

Hit enter - Then type

cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid

A long code will display – as example - here is mine 02544d5341303247049c2a5ed2009bc2. Type it out – and check it!

Then go here http://hexrev.soaa.me/ which is the brilliant Soaa-'s lame GoldCard hex reverse page and hit Submit

Copy the result and through to here http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard and save the .img file they email you.

Download and install HxD Hex Editor. http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/30...&tag=button

IMPORTANT – run the HxD application as administrator by right click its short cut and choosing “run as administrator”

Goto EXTRAS/OPENDISK uncheck OPEN AS READ ONLY FIRST then choose the htc from the physical disk NOT the logical disk . Press OK when prompted for 'Sector Size' (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)

Goto EXTRAS/OPEN DISK IMAGE and find your way to the image file you were sent by email.

You should now have two tabs - one is your SD card, the other is your goldcard image

Click on the goldcard image tab. Go to the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Select All' then select the 'Edit' menu again and select 'Copy'.

Click on the 'Removable Disk' tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste Write'. What you are doing is replacing the information at the top of your SD card with the information contained in the image file.

Click on the 'File' menu and select 'Save', accepting the warning.

You now have a Gold card in your phone which will allow it to accept the rewrite and grey hair.

Last thing to do is download this file RUU-MoDaCo-Bravo-1.15.405.4-release.exe and run the dam thing – it will do the rest for you. I found it here...

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...r-t-mo-handset/ and i’m pretty sure paul is the chap who made this all possible. That said – sometimes the link is broken, and some of the downloads were corrupt – but keep going - you have got this far....

Final word is – if it wont let you complete the upgrade then, as far as i can figure out, you didn’t make a gold card. But the 2gb Kingston Micro sd card and try again - it appears that not all sd cards work.

W

Great instructions but sadly it seems as though the link to the exe is down :-(

any mirrors?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest reaperSKD

Hi, I successfully debranded my Orange rom. However, android market now seems to take an eternity to load, and i'm having trouble with my mobile internet deciding not to work every few minutes ;)

Any ideas, or anyone experiencing the same issue?

Thanks. :)

Guest Parax77
Hi, I successfully debranded my Orange rom. However, android market now seems to take an eternity to load, and i'm having trouble with my mobile internet deciding not to work every few minutes :D

Any ideas, or anyone experiencing the same issue?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Yes same here, debranded orange, and now no 3G Data connection H only. So it works when it drops out of 3G but if 3G is strong then no data :/

any ideas?

Guest CaspaTheGhost
Yes same here, debranded orange, and now no 3G Data connection H only. So it works when it drops out of 3G but if 3G is strong then no data :/

any ideas?

This seems to be an issue on a number of networks (Orange, T-Mob & 3), full 3G signal but no data transfer until it jumps back onto HSDPA...

Didnt you have the issue with the stock Orange ROM? I debranded straight away so cant remember, but I have read that others have had the issue with the Orange ROM also...

3G does work sometimes in certain areas, but most of the time it doesnt...

The Hero seems to suffer from the issue also...