MoDaCo News Update

Guest PaulOBrien

Where is the MoDaCo News you might (and have!) ask?

Well, fear not, it will return!

I have extremely limited Internet access for the next 2 weeks, however when I return I will once again be looking to restructure and rebuild a MoDaCo News Team, as well as returning to regular news updates, reviews and features myself.

If you would like to be involved, please contact me by PM (by clicking here), otherwise keep checking back for our traditional awesome coverage of both Windows Mobile and Android. :P

P

Guest Jasonkruys
Who cares? All that matters is that our glorious leader returns! :P

Indeed! I was beginning to think I might have to delete Modaco out of my Favourites soon. Rejoice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Sonicr360

There are other sites offering an array of choices for Mobile Phone news, just do a google search.

Coolsmartphone.com springs to mind!

Edited by Sonicr360

Guest mcwarre

Since the 16th Feb there have been four news items (well three if you discount the one about lack of news). That makes nearly one news item a month :P

I hope that everything is ok with Paul but if he is still doing the site fulltime (as I beleive he was) then this is a bit worrying. Oh well.

Edited by mcwarre

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Has he abandoned Modaco? :P

Hush your mouth sir! :D

I might have to start making my own smartphone 'news' up soon if some NEWs doesn't appear here...

Maybe we could start a made up news thread? Or should I just visit msmoblies for that? :P

M.S

Guest touficjohn

To be honest, I too have defected (to the Apple camp). Can you blame Paul?

I loved windows mobile, but the second I Jailbroke my iPhone I was amazed at the things I could do!

Exchange support is brilliant, for years I kept telling myself windows mobile is the only phone that can do exchange properly!

The phone just works and everything is logical.

I'd love to try an Android phone and I assume Paul propably re-discovered the fun of hacking/cooking/modding phones and making applications that belong in 2010!

Read his twitter feed, he talks alot about android and you can tell that he's really into it.

It's very hard to be excited about windows mobile these days.

Guest S710demon

When he can upload a Rom he sure has internet access. Sad for Modaco that there is so little acitivity these days.....

Guest Sonicr360

Well here you go .... Some latest News .... Good news for Smartphone Users NOT using MS stupid platform !

In my view, Modaco needs to review its structure, and focus on a large range of news across all platforms....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20004585...HeadlinesArea.0

Windows Shares slide....

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/news5782.html

Good news the last link!!! :)

Guest Sonicr360
When he can upload a Rom he sure has internet access. Sad for Modaco that there is so little acitivity these days.....

Plenty of better sites out there now my friend. Just do a search on a good search engine.....

• 1 month later...
Guest thelondonthing

So... it's coming up to three months since Paul's post announcing that the good days would soon return, and that the news side of the things at least would be less of the barren wilderness that it's become in the last year or so.

I don't know if anything's actually been going on behind the scenes, but not much has been happening for all of us to see.

So... is anything actually happening, Paul?

It really saddens me to be witnessing the slow and very undignified death of MoDaCo. It was the very first online community that I joined when I bought my first Windows Mobile phone, the wonderful Orange SPV E200. Back then, it was a much more vibrant place, and it only improved with age.

But the focus seemed to shift as time went by. I think things started to go downhill a bit when the Mobiholics site arrived on the scene; perhaps this was a simple by-product of split focus, and trying to do to many things rather than doing fewer things well. As that focus was split between Mobiholics ghost town and MoDaCo, MoDaCo really stagnated, and for a long time it seemed like the only improvements being made here were to bolster the MoDaCo Plus offering.

Don't get me wrong, I get the need and desire to monetise a digital community, both to make it self-sustaining and to turn a cheeky profit, but in my very humble opinion, it seems like all of the effort was put into making the paid-for option better, while the core offering of the site was allowed to die a slow and painful death.

This is my first visit to MoDaCo in over a month. There's one additional news item on the front page, and the forums for my handsets are more or less dead. I honestly don't see much point in coming back any more.

The site's been allowed to die, and even the promises of its resurrection seem to be amounting to nothing.

Should I bother coming back, Paul, or have you given up on MoDaCo for good?

• 1 month later...
Guest shutdown
Should I bother coming back, Paul, or have you given up on MoDaCo for good?

isn't the point of a forum to be about community spirit?

People can carry on using this place but just because there's no news on the homepage doesn't mean we have to abandon ship.

i drop in from time to time to see if anythings happened but with me starting to use android on my winmo now my loyalties have drifted to other sites.

Guest thelondonthing
isn't the point of a forum to be about community spirit?

People can carry on using this place but just because there's no news on the homepage doesn't mean we have to abandon ship.

i drop in from time to time to see if anythings happened but with me starting to use android on my winmo now my loyalties have drifted to other sites.

I couldn't agree more about forums being driven by community spirit, but the forums themselves are turning into ghost towns, and are a shadow of their former selves.

And is that entirely surprising? Why would a community stick around on a site that its owners seem to have given up on, except where there's a commercial opportunity involved?

The fact that months have passed with no real update on Paul's promises - and that the only movement we've seen from Paul is yet another commercial endorsement ultimately designed to make more money - doesn't really say much about his commitment to the community. As I said previously, I appreciate that there's a need to ensure that the site is self-sufficient, and a desire to make some pocket money as a by-product of the process - but with the forum in decline, and with news updates all but dead, and Paul giving no indication that actual progress is being made to reinvigorate the site and give people a reason to come back, it seems very much like the only motivation for keeping the site going is to foster commercial opportunities, while the community spirit you mention is being subjected to the indignity of an incredibly slow and painful death.

Either Paul's has seen for himself the decline, the comments made, and the questions asked about it, and has chosen to ignore them all; or he's not seen them because he's too busy focusing on other projects and isn't really part of this community that he created so long ago.

I don't take much encouragement from either of those possibilities, and I think it's very sad that Paul's allowed things to end up like this, when he once seemed so passionate and excited about the MoDaCo community, which was the very reason I got excited about it too all those years back.

I guess all good things really do come to an end.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.