What are some good apps? Where can I get wireless tether?

Guest FrustratedOne

Guest FrustratedOne

I am currently rooted with the latest Cyanogenmod. I've already installed apps like Better Keyboard, Open Home, SetCPU, N1 Torch, AdFree, Trackball Alert, Beautiful Widgets, Cyanogenmod Update, etc, but I'd like to be able to use things like Wireless Tether (I can't find it in the Market).

In addition, I'd love to know of your favorite apps. I really want to get the most out of my phone.

Edited by FrustratedOne

Guest FrustratedOne

You know, there wouldn't be much point to a forum if everyone just said "Go Google it." I am asking on these forums to ensure that I have up-to-date information (as opposed to accidentally acquiring incorrect versions from outmoded pages), and I'm curious of the opinions of those on this board for their preferred apps.

Anyone else have any input?

Guest houstonblaney1
I am currently rooted with the latest Cyanogenmod. I've already installed apps like Better Keyboard, Open Home, SetCPU, N1 Torch, AdFree, Trackball Alert, Beautiful Widgets, Cyanogenmod Update, etc, but I'd like to be able to use things like Wireless Tether (I can't find it in the Market).

In addition, I'd love to know of your favorite apps. I really want to get the most out of my phone.

You could bake a Cyanogen ROM with wireless tether and the rest of the MoDaCo goodies.

25/Mar 5.0.5.3 - CyanogenMod-5 for Nexus One online kitchen

There's a link for the ROM with all of the MoDaCo addition built in.

There's also android-wifi-tether.

Edited by houstonblaney1

Guest FrustratedOne
You could bake a Cyanogen ROM with wireless tether and the rest of the MoDaCo goodies.

25/Mar 5.0.5.3 - CyanogenMod-5 for Nexus One online kitchen

There's a link for the ROM with all of the MoDaCo addition built in.

There's also android-wifi-tether.

Is this like a souped up Cyanogen ROM? What comes with it that is normally not included?

Guest muncheese
You know, there wouldn't be much point to a forum if everyone just said "Go Google it." I am asking on these forums to ensure that I have up-to-date information (as opposed to accidentally acquiring incorrect versions from outmoded pages), and I'm curious of the opinions of those on this board for their preferred apps.

Anyone else have any input?

Want me to shine your shoes mister?

How bout a hot cup of coccoa too?

Guest houstonblaney1
Is this like a souped up Cyanogen ROM? What comes with it that is normally not included?

Cyanogen. The Google apps are built in (no need to flash a separate zip for Gmail, etc.). If you go to the link for the ROM, you'll see what's in it. Obviously, if you get a ROM through MoDaCo kitchens, you can get a few extras.

Guest FrustratedOne

I have most of those apps already as far as I can see. I'm just curious if there are any good apps that people like that I may not be using, especially as a Root user.

Some Root progs I have:

Wireless Tether for Root Users

SetCPU

N1 Torch

Open Home

Trackball Alert

Are there any other good ones?

Some other "cool apps" I use:

Adfree

Advanced Task Killer

AIM

Aldiko

Barcode Scanner

BatteryTime Lite

Better Keyboard

CM Updater

GMote

Google Sky Map

Google Translate

Handcent Messenger

Ibox Icons

Pandora

Qik

Ringdroid

ROM Manager

Shazam

Speed Test

Terminal Emulator

Voice

Voice Dialer/Voice Search

Youtube

What else might you guys recommend, especially regarding Root user programs?

Guest houstonblaney1

I also use SetCPU, N1 Torch, and Trackball Alert.

A few others I use (and why):

Root Explorer (simple, and extremely lightweight file explorer and zip extractor; only a few hundred KB compared to the several MB of Astro)

ShootMe (for getting screenshots)

I personally have found task killers/managers to be detrimental to my phone's battery life. I think most of us have read about how Android handles open applications and allocates resources/memory.

Edited by houstonblaney1

Guest FrustratedOne
I also use SetCPU, N1 Torch, and Trackball Alert.

A few others I use (and why):

Root Explorer (simple, and extremely lightweight file explorer and zip extractor; only a few hundred KB compared to the several MB of Astro)

ShootMe (for getting screenshots)

I personally have found task killers/managers to be detrimental to my phone's battery life. I think most of us have read about how Android handles open applications and allocates resources/memory.

In my Cyanogenmod I noticed I have an Apps2SD but it's greyed out. Do I need to reflash to get this feature? I only have a bit over 100 MB on my internal storage but a few GB on my card.

Guest HaggleLad

Big thumbs up for the "Setting Profiles" app.

I use it to toggle between "Default", "Sleep" and "Meeting" profiles. You can also activate a profile for X minutes which I use with a "Wifi On" profile for when I quickly want to check something online and guarantee that WiFi will turn off afterwards.

It now also can repeat notify when you have missed a call, have an unread text or when your battery is below X percent (means I was able to get rid of "Missed Call" app).

I previously used "Locale" but this was the worst battery drain ever, literally save myself 30% - 40% battery since un-installing.

Guest houstonblaney1
In my Cyanogenmod I noticed I have an Apps2SD but it's greyed out. Do I need to reflash to get this feature? I only have a bit over 100 MB on my internal storage but a few GB on my card.

You can reformat your SD card via Amon_RA's recovery image (I'm using RA-nexus-v1.7.0). Others are using v1.6.2. I'm currently using 32MB swap, 512MB ext2, and the rest FAT32.

I wipe my phone first and then reformat the SD card. I then transfer the ROM over to the SD card and proceed to flash. When phone boots, I go straight to "Applications" and select "Apps2SD".

I don't see a reason why you would have to reflash in order to get it to work. My guess is a reformat and reboot will allow you to select Apps2SD.

In the future though, try searching the forums first for your answer before you post. There's plenty of information in the CyanogenMod thread for your question. In addition, you might want to try keeping your posts relevant to the thread topic. This is just a friendly warning from someone that has seen plenty of virtual bitchslaps for posting questions in the wrong threads.

Edited by houstonblaney1

Guest anosis

Here some that I use...

Task Manager

xScope Browser

ICS Bot (Calendar import)

Zillow

Dailer@Bar

ShopSavvy (Barcode Scanner alternative)

Movies