How to re-lock the bootloader and reinstate the warranty

Guest cybrian

Guest cybrian

Actually, you can't, and sending it in for warranty repair after relocking the bootloader (if it were possible) would be fraud and illegal.

Perhaps this should be stickied.

Guest lars1110

it is being worked on. there is some progress but nothing is 100 percent working yet. i know it is posible by flashing the original spl. but no one has the original spl. so thats where they are stuck.

to answer your question no not at the time.

Guest Breece

I really dont get all that "hatred" (and bad allegories) ... And I dont see how unlocking the bootloader has anything to do with lets say a hardware defect...

Guest muncheese

Unlocking the bootloader gives you direct access to the hardware.

You can mess up the hardware if you have access it.

Theoretically you can OC your cpu, burn it out, relock the bootloader, and make a faulty claim to HTC that your phone "overheated". Cost HTC money, and down the line it costs consumers more for fradulent claims.

It's true that something like say bad assembly should be covered and not affected by unlocking the bootloader, but that's why you have a big bad ol warning screen when you go to unlock it.

The same way you'll void your motherboard warranty if you flash a custom bios, or anytime you overlock the CPU in your computer.

Guest Jonnyw2k
Hi, I drove into new car into a lake. How can I dry it up and conceal it so my dealership doesn't know?

Well if your car crashed into the lake due to bad workmanship and not your driving, but your dealership wont take it back then you would want to dry it up and conceal it.

Guest muncheese

That screen you agreed to with the big lock? That's called a waiver.

Main Entry: waiv·er

Pronunciation: \ˈwā-vər\

Function: noun

Etymology: Anglo-French weyver, from waiver, verb

Date: 1628

1 : the act of intentionally relinquishing or abandoning a known right, claim, or privilege; also : the legal instrument evidencing such an act

Guest endamaco

In the acer community we have access to the .bin file that has been leaked or released by acer (depends on version)..

reflashing the .bin with the acer tool we can turn back to the initial condition cause it formats all :P

Guest Jonnyw2k
In the acer community we have access to the .bin file that has been leaked or released by acer (depends on version)..

reflashing the .bin with the acer tool we can turn back to the initial condition cause it formats all :P

This is about Nexus One :(

Guest Jak Crow
Unlocking the bootloader gives you direct access to the hardware.

You can mess up the hardware if you have access it.

Theoretically you can OC your cpu, burn it out, relock the bootloader, and make a faulty claim to HTC that your phone "overheated". Cost HTC money, and down the line it costs consumers more for fradulent claims.

It's true that something like say bad assembly should be covered and not affected by unlocking the bootloader, but that's why you have a big bad ol warning screen when you go to unlock it.

The same way you'll void your motherboard warranty if you flash a custom bios, or anytime you overlock the CPU in your computer.

How would you relock the bootloader if the cpu is burned out?

How would you relock the bootloader if the cpu is burned out?

Good point! If your hardware is defective, you cannot do anything like relocking the bootloader...

HTC would know that..

It would be nice to be able to re-lock it in order to be protected again by the warranty if the device had a problem AFTER relocking it...

it means that if, for instance, the phone won't turn on anymore, and it is locked with the original rom, they cannot assume you re-locked it After bricking it.. cause its not possible!

Guest tasty
Well if your car crashed into the lake due to bad workmanship and not your driving, but your dealership wont take it back then you would want to dry it up and conceal it.

And if u "chip" your car controller and put new software on it, your car manufacturer fights it tooth and nail. Same thing, you have done things outside of the cars warentied function. While you might get repairs, dont expect it to always be easy or like clockwork. I think the car analogy fits the closest. You can get warenty repairs, but you have accepted a breach of agreed upon warenty by doing said modifications.

(I drive a modded vw tdi. I dont know why that community calls it chipping over modding but it does.)

Guest Spinstorm

I really don't care about HTC losing money because I relocked my bootloader.

And neither should any of you as we are on a FORUM FOR HACKING!

I am all for having a way to relock it so we can send it back in for repair with ease.

Just like with jailbreaking the iphone... it voids your warranty but restore it and its good as new. Same thing.

If you feel guilty doing that then you shouldn't be on this forum :P

Guest mrpainz

I am all for having a way to relock it so we can send it back in for repair with ease.

Just like with jailbreaking the iphone... it voids your warranty but restore it and its good as new. Same thing.

If you feel guilty doing that then you shouldn't be on this forum :P

I agree with both sides. If you unlock it and you fry it, you own it. But if there is a manufacturing defect like the dust under the screen that should be covered. There have been some people who have had it fixed under warranty, and some that were charged. This is wrong, unlocking the device had nothing to do with the manufacturing defect that caused dust under the screen. There should be an "official" ruling on this, not a "send in your phone and hope for the best."

Guest Jonnyw2k
And if u "chip" your car controller and put new software on it, your car manufacturer fights it tooth and nail. Same thing, you have done things outside of the cars warentied function. While you might get repairs, dont expect it to always be easy or like clockwork. I think the car analogy fits the closest. You can get warenty repairs, but you have accepted a breach of agreed upon warenty by doing said modifications.

(I drive a modded vw tdi. I dont know why that community calls it chipping over modding but it does.)

Yes but what I'm trying to say is if you chip/re-map your ECU and then, for example, your accelerator peddle like with the toyotas is nothing todo with chipping the car, its a manufacturing defect.

Guest cybrian

If you feel guilty doing that then you shouldn't be on this forum ;)

I'm going to assume that you pirate everything you can and would steal physical items if you could, too.

How about I buy your Nexus One off you, put it in the toilet, and insist that you let me return it for whatever I paid for it? Or better yet, return it and you give me a brand new one? See, that's what you'd be doing to HTC by sending your phone in for warranty repair if you bricked it. Now, it's really hard to brick a Nexus One, and they should cover hardware defects, but the reason they can't "officially" if you've unlocked the bootloader is simply because it's easy to defraud them that way. ("I have dust under my screen!" meanwhile your phone's also fried.)

In a perfect world they'd officially cover defects if you void the warranty, but in a perfect world nobody would steal.

Either way it's robbery, whether you're robbing HTC by exchanging a phone you bricked yourself or you're stealing a car. They're both robbery.

And the only way they can 100% prevent that is by deactivating the warranty of the MINORITY of users who hack their phones.

Guest foxof

If you feel guilty doing that then you shouldn't be on this forum ;)

^^ finally ;) Poor HTC defenders ... go buy some shares and leave the forum ^^

Guest Jonnyw2k
I'm going to assume that you pirate everything you can and would steal physical items if you could, too.

How about I buy your Nexus One off you, put it in the toilet, and insist that you let me return it for whatever I paid for it? Or better yet, return it and you give me a brand new one? See, that's what you'd be doing to HTC by sending your phone in for warranty repair if you bricked it. Now, it's really hard to brick a Nexus One, and they should cover hardware defects, but the reason they can't "officially" if you've unlocked the bootloader is simply because it's easy to defraud them that way. ("I have dust under my screen!" meanwhile your phone's also fried.)

In a perfect world they'd officially cover defects if you void the warranty, but in a perfect world nobody would steal.

Either way it's robbery, whether you're robbing HTC by exchanging a phone you bricked yourself or you're stealing a car. They're both robbery.

And the only way they can 100% prevent that is by deactivating the warranty of the MINORITY of users who hack their phones.

Yes but if you have bricked your phone I would like to see you relock the bootloader.

Guest muncheese

Using CPU was a bad example, but you can easy burn out your speakers, wifi/bluetooh antenna, microphone, screen once you unlock the bootloader. Why should HTC eat the costs of people dicking around with their phones?

I forgot HAXXORS VS DA MAN, evil vs good. Some of you really need to mentally grow up and step into the real world if you can't see why warranting unlocked phones is bad business sense.

^^ finally ;) Poor HTC defenders ... go buy some shares and leave the forum ^^

I forgot about the big bad corporations, down with the man!

blah blah blah

Edited by muncheese

Guest Jonnyw2k

Yes but I'm on about why should we be punished for poor manufacturing if a mechanical part on the phone. I don't care either way as I have insurance

Guest tasty
Yes but what I'm trying to say is if you chip/re-map your ECU and then, for example, your accelerator peddle like with the toyotas is nothing todo with chipping the car, its a manufacturing defect.

That may be very true that a hardware defect does not link to the software, however this is the agreement; we will support the device if you don't unlock it. If you unlock it, it's yours without a safety net. If taking that risk bothers someone, they shouldn't unlock the phone.

I don't expect lots of things to stop working in short amounts of time, however I have a warranty if they do. If I chose to void that warranty, then I'm on my own. Consider this. the N1 Torch can burn out the LED. What's to stop someone from flashing a rooted rom, burning the LED, re-flashing a stock rom and locking the bootloader to get their unit worked on? I don't think there is a trace as to what caused it to burn (no logs, no root, etc), but it wasn't a manufacturer's defect; the user was stupid and left it on for too long. That is the problem. Within the constraints of the warranty, they can figured out that and work towards a resolution.

Unfortunately, in this example (toyota), someone would argue that it is a software issue (Woz would for example, he can replicate it with his cruise control setting).

Btw, kudos. You've come the closest I've seen for rationally arguing for the practice.

<snip>

That's a great explanation of the moral and legal issue surrounding this. <snipped for space>

As for this being a forum for hacking, sure. It's not a forum that promotes theft as you appear to be assuming based on your illustration. The moderating crew even said this. No swype links here, no posting of pirated content.

Guess it's a forum for hacking, not a forum that promotes theft.

Guest Jim Zafrani

Just as an FYI, I returned an unlocked t-mobile phone to HTC (I purchased the AT&T version) and after checking my online credit card statement every day for the last three weeks, the credit for the full cost of the phone - $45.00 restocking fee appeared today. I am not sure how many more people have been able to return the phone once it is unlocked but wanted to share this with the rest of the forum...