How to re-lock the bootloader and reinstate the warranty

Guest cybrian

Guest illmatic416
Just as an FYI, I returned an unlocked t-mobile phone to HTC (I purchased the AT&T version) and after checking my online credit card statement every day for the last three weeks, the credit for the full cost of the phone - $45.00 restocking fee appeared today. I am not sure how many more people have been able to return the phone once it is unlocked but wanted to share this with the rest of the forum...

Unlocked as in that is how the phone comes as or bootloader unlocked aka rooted?

Guest Jim Zafrani
Unlocked as in that is how the phone comes as or bootloader unlocked aka rooted?

Bootloader unlocked. Unlocked lock comes up when the phone was rebooted. I had it running the Desire ROM as well. I restored it to the original ROM (including the recovery partition) and sent it in.

• 1 month later...
Guest C0rpi

Hi

I've since 2months a customrom on my n1. MoDaCO r14. Now i want the original ROM and bootloader etc. on it, how i can make this? And its possible to become my warrenty back?

Thank

Sorry for my incorrect english.(is my 3.lang)

Guest acantril

The LED torch example is, imo, the best way to explain the warranty exclusion - i think many people see a very big line between hardware and software. Unlocking the phone also allows custom kernels, which allow overclocking or undervolting both of which have the potential to damage the CPU of the phone over time.

I unlocked my phone the day I got it , initially i was somewhat worried about doing it, more so because of the warranty - but after a while you learn to live with it. Maybe google / HTC (whoever does the warranty) should offer a replacement for certain failures not related to unlocking.... but not others; i guess this would be logistically to hard to manage though.

Guest wrxtc714

Hello.

I just wanted to add my experience

I bought my nexus the day it came out

Within an hour of receiving it I. Rooted it and unlocked the bootloader

After using the phone for a couple days I noticed it did not vibrate at all.

This was a big issue for me. So I have been patiently waiting for the passing file to become available

To relock it and send it back because HTC refused to help me under warranty.

I don't think I'm wrong for second for wanting to do this.

I feel cheated by HTC

For a problem that has nothing to do with unlocking the bootloader whatsoever

Apps like handset are non root apps that can mess with the vibrate and I could understand

Making it fail prematurely but again that has nothing to do with an unlocked bootloader

The people on here saying it is wrong are definitely hard headed.

There are legitimate reasons for wanting to do this.

I'm sure some smart ass will say I should have inspected it first or something.

I just didn't think id have a silly problem like that with My $600 phone

Mostly because my g1 was a beast that thing would never break no matter what I did.

So I didn't think twice about HTC quality.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong .

I dare you.

Guest tasty
The people on here saying it is wrong are definitely hard headed.

There are legitimate reasons for wanting to do this.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong .

I dare you.

Fine, since you obviously didn't get it from the earlier discussion.

There are many legitimate reasons, there are also equally as many illegitimate reasons, and human intent is tough to represent in 0s and 1s in cases like this. Personal responsibility; If you want rooted features, you take the risk yourself. If you like having a warranty, then live with the phone you purchased in the condition it was given to you (e.g. locked/non-rooted) You decided to root the phone having read the warning, you reap what you sow. If HTC honors the repairs, great, if not, you still chose. How hard is this to honestly understand. Do we really need to call the Wahmbulance every time something goes wrong without any regard to the other side of personal liberty?

Look at this from HTC/Google's perspective, they could have made this a major pain in the ass, they could have made this such as hassle to better protect their investment in the product, but they didn't. If the development community circumvents that relocking mechanism, then there is little incentive for HTC to make it this easy to unlock. Think of it like children playing with sticks; they can have imaginary sword fights, build things, play. Play is important for their development. Sometimes children get hurt with sticks. So as a parent, if your child gets hurt routinely with sticks (or hurts others), many parents just take the stick away...

Do you really want HTC to take our "stick" away? Really? That's incredibly short sighted. "With power comes responsibility" You received the power, now act responsible.