Flashing ROM with Acer download tool better with Hard reset than in OS?

Guest Down to earth Swede

I recently flashed my old ROM (custom 2.000.5 to official 16).

First there was an error during the flash where the donwload tool said that recovery was needed, but I could restart the phone which eventually got into the OS.

A second attempt of flashing when in OS worked (for some strange reason, not much had changed).

Later on I had to do a reflash again with the same ROM version(I had changed the default gmail account and got some problems which could only be solved by reflashing again to be able to set the default account when first powered on).

This time it just hanged and once again said that recovery was needed.

A restart of the phone got me into the linux like console that you see during the later stages of flashing and then it turned off.

But the button combo power+volume up+camera when in USB made it possible to use the download tool again.

And now a second attempt at flashing suddenly worked!

Isn't it possible that loads of processes could interfere with the flashing when being inside the android OS?

If find it strange that I must have the OS started when doing the flash, wouldn't it be better to always use the combo before starting the download tool, making it less likely to be "disturbed".

Is that possible, or did it work just because the earlier flashing hanged a bit into the process?

It seemed that the download tool started all over again from scratch the second time (after the hard reset combo)

Is it possible to always do a flash this way, that is using the hard reset combo for possibly a more reliable flash?

Guest linuxluver
Is that possible, or did it work just because the earlier flashing hanged a bit into the process?

It seemed that the download tool started all over again from scratch the second time (after the hard reset combo)

Is it possible to always do a flash this way, that is using the hard reset combo for possibly a more reliable flash?

Do you have BOINC or any other distributed computing client running in the background?

I had serious problems trying to reliably flash any BIN files with the Acer Download Tool.....and they proved to be due to having BOINC (Seti@Home / Climateprediction.net) running in the background. I now suspend BOINC when about to flash a BIN...and I now have a 100% success rate with Acer Download Tool.

If you do not have BOINC, thhen look at what else might be eating CPU and slowing your USB I/O down...

Do you have BOINC or any other distributed computing client running in the background?

I had serious problems trying to reliably flash any BIN files with the Acer Download Tool.....and they proved to be due to having BOINC (Seti@Home / Climateprediction.net) running in the background. I now suspend BOINC when about to flash a BIN...and I now have a 100% success rate with Acer Download Tool.

If you do not have BOINC, thhen look at what else might be eating CPU and slowing your USB I/O down...

Nope, not using Boinc or anything like it, but I'm not sure, there are a bunch of things installed in this installation, but I have no problems with CPU spikes and the USB transfer SEEMS to work okay until it hangs.

I also use Two NICS+Virtual box which also gets its own virtual NICS, VPN-service and a network with several PC;S plus printer and stuff.

Maybe better to disable most things (like the NICS, other USB devices and unneccessary running services) when doing the flash?

Or try to use another USB port?

Edited by Down to earth Swede

Guest malez
Nope, not using Boinc or anything like it, but I'm not sure, there are a bunch of things installed in this installation, but I have no problems with CPU spikes and the USB transfer SEEMS to work okay until it hangs.

I also use Two NICS+Virtual box which also gets its own virtual NICS, VPN-service and a network with several PC;S plus printer and stuff.

Maybe better to disable most things (like the NICS, other USB devices and unneccessary running services) when doing the flash?

Or try to use another USB port?

Change usb port is a good idea. On my work computer under win XP, my adb interfaces is not always detected when i plug my phone to usb port 2. When I plug it on usb port 0, it is always detected.

Make a try looking in devices manager to see if you have a port on wich your phone is always well detected (you will see an adb interface network card)

• 3 weeks later...