2.1 pushed OTA from UK

Guest iamdarren

Guest roy_drage

Seems 16th of April is when a lot of sites claim android 2.1 will be available to download fo UK users.

Fingers crossed as that's end of this week ;)

Guest Metoo
Seems 16th of April is when a lot of sites claim android 2.1 will be available to download fo UK users.

Fingers crossed as that's end of this week ;)

Don't understand the big wait - why not just install the EU version via RSDLite?

Hoping for extra bug fixes perhaps?

Edited by Metoo

Guest Ingvarr

Current 2.1 firmware has quite substantial bugs (as Motorola itself acknoledged). No surprise UK release got delayed - no point to increase amount of upset people who will install it OTA.

Guest iamdarren

i checked today still not avaliable.

i look forward to the 16th! not only do i get 2.1 but i get the first episode of facejacker on channel 4 ;)

i hope the root hack will work.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest roy_drage
Yep, update appeared on my phone the other day :P

Apart from 2 extra home screens, some live wallpapers and they've changed the layout of the camera (which I personally don't prefer) I can't quite what else has changed?

Guest stupidm4n
Apart from 2 extra home screens, some live wallpapers and they've changed the layout of the camera (which I personally don't prefer) I can't quite what else has changed?

Up to 9 Home Panels go to bottom off Sound & Display settings

Live Wallpaper

Camera added Widescreen as picture resolution

Added Help Centre and moto car home and voice dialler also speech to text icon on keyboard

Guest Metoo

Speech recognition is the biggie for me - note the microphone in the Google search widget and keyboard. Pretty useful it is too while on the move. As far as I can see everything else is the same as the 2.1EU version which has been out for several weeks.

Edited by Metoo

Guest atrius
Speech recognition is the biggie for me - note the microphone in the Google search widget and keyboard. Pretty useful it is too while on the move. As far as I can see everything else is the same as the 2.1EU version which has been out for several weeks.

I installed fearing the reported bugs, and whilst I didn't notice any for a couple of days, the random music player bug is rearing its head. And that's a pretty damn major pain in the arse, the phone can be sat doing nothing then all of a sudden start playing the music. It's happened 3 times in 4 days now.

Aside from that, I haven't noticed the alarm bug (apparently the alarm is 15 minutes behind when it's set for, but I haven't tried it).

The good points are that it's much quicker, and the new features like car home, voice typing, live wallpapers are all cool and useful.

Guest iamdarren

whats the battery life like in comparison. im still waiting for my motorla back from the repair center. I dont like the idea of music starting playing randomly. I can feel the hot flush if embarrassment already!

Guest atrius
whats the battery life like in comparison. im still waiting for my motorla back from the repair center. I dont like the idea of music starting playing randomly. I can feel the hot flush if embarrassment already!

Battery life is about the same, maybe a little better, but then I've been running live wallpapers since updating, so that may reduce any benefits.

Haven't had the music bug for a few days now [*touches wood*], so maybe it was a teething thing.

It's far smoother generally though. Go for it, and deal with the music bug it if rises (which it doesn't for many people).

[edit]

I was terrified by the comments on the motorola forums, but TBH most people there are whinging a little more vehemently than is necessary, blowing it totally out of proportion. Remember too that that set of people is a very small minority of milestone users.

Edited by atrius

Guest roy_drage

After almost a week with 2.1 i'm certain I HAVE seen a difference in the way my phone operates. Now I have 5 home screens, it's pretty slow and jerky flicking between the various screens. My alarm seems to go off something like 3 or 4 minutes after it should, very strange.

People on the other end of the line seem to be finding it hard to hear me, almost to the point where I have to hang up and call back again. Battery life seems exactly the same to me. Also when I get a txt the little txt msg symbol that pops up in the top left hand corner of the screen, well it now always shows up twice. Even tho only 1 text msg has been received!?

So for me personally given the choice again I wouldn't of bothered to upgrade, all i've got out of it is a couple extra home screens and some fancy live wallpapers (they are nice tho!!)

Guest littlelise

I've noticed a couple of people have noticed a music player bug - I'm wondering if this is a generic app opening bug?

After I updated, over the weekend a few times I noticed that my Twitter app had started itself and when I went into my Task Manager pretty much all of my apps had started themselves up... I don't have any music on the phone but presumably if I did this would have started up too - maybe the same bug?

It hasn't done it since Sunday though I don't think.

I haven't noticed any specific changes to battery life with 2.1 - I'm using a Live Wallpaper and using Wifi during the day this week (I get bored when I'm on courses) so I've been charging my phone every evening but I probably don't need to, I just fear it dying during the day and me not being able to get online ;) I'd normally charge it every other day and I#m pretty sure I could get away still doing this.

Someone mentioned juddering between home screens - mine does this too, but then it did from new on 2.0 as well so not a 2.1 related issue for me :(

Another general phone issue (not 2.1 related) is the alarm problem... I've tried it twice - the first time it didn't go off at all, and the second time it went off but then crashed so I couldn't stop it :( :) Luckily I have an alarm clock as well, so I'm relying on that at the moment (usually use both for insurance)! Does anyone use Market alarms - do they work? Any recommendations?

My only gripe with voice recognition is that it has replaced the comma on the on-screen keyboard and I keep tapping it mid-text by accident >_< :D

I'm glad I got the update though, no specific problems, I'm finally on the same OS as my bf's Hero (which is rooted and on custom ROM) and my phone runs much faster than his :D

Edited by littlelise

Guest roy_drage

Yep had the music player bug for the 1st time today.

Phone was just sat on the table at work when it started blasting out the last played song from the music player. From now on if I were u I would make sure u turn the volume right down before u stop the music player, it seems to carry on from the exact point u left it.

If I could go back to 2.0.1 I would.

Guest roy_drage

Just wanted to give an update. I've had further problems, the alarm sometimes goes off on time, sometimes it goes off like 10 mins late. Really frustrating.

Also I've now noticed I cannot open and set any of my own wallpapers from the gallery. Live wallpapers and wallpapers from the phones default wallpaper gallery work fine. However try to set a picture I've taken or one I've downloaded as the phones wallpaper I just get the following error 'failed to open image'.

Roll on 2.2 please...

Guest littlelise

I use "Alarm Klock" which is free on the market, had no probs with it, just have to remember to exclude from task killer! :(