Mail client from Desire on Cyanogen?

Guest willdenham

Guest willdenham

Hey there,

I've recently fell in love with the Mail app within the Desire ROM. I'd really like to enjoy the freed up memory and quickness that comes with Cyanogen, or the custom MoDaco ROM for that matter, but I really can't go back to stock Android now that I've tried the Mail application within the Desire ROM. The exchange active sync support is the big deal for me, with features like flagging and all of that being my absolute must haves. It's even better, if not TONS better, than the iPhone's Exchange support.

Is there ANY way to port over the mail app into different ROMs? I've seen people port over the messaging App from one to another, but I'd like to see if it is possible for the Mail app to be treated the same way.

Guest starkruzr

I asked this in the CM forums and was told no with no real reason given. I would want the Mail and Calendar apps along with the HTC IME (which is of course already ported). The calendar is just fantastic.

If only Touchdown didn't suck so badly. I really would pay for this if HTC offered it on the Market.

Also, for the record, I haven't been able to get the MotoCAL.apk from the Droid working on CM since I updated from 5.0.3. Maybe you guys have had better luck?

Guest deanesn

download the CM rom and unzip/unrar it then go to the system/apps folder (believe) and find the mail.apk file and copy it to your sd card and install it ASTRO. Thats what I did and I am using it now. the HTC mail app just doesnt do it for me.

Guest willdenham
download the CM rom and unzip/unrar it then go to the system/apps folder (believe) and find the mail.apk file and copy it to your sd card and install it ASTRO. Thats what I did and I am using it now. the HTC mail app just doesnt do it for me.

We want the exact opposite from what you do. We WANT the HTC mail on CM, not the vanilla mail on Desire. ;)

I'm a sysadmin and need exchange support, and the exchange support that the HTC mail gives is just... AMAZING. Better than ANY mobile mail client I have ever used, bar none.

If battery life on the Desire ROM didn't suck so much I'd just use it, but I love my CM battery life, just miss my HTC Mail.

I think I'm going to try the opposite of what you did, find the mail.apk on the desire's rom and try to install it. Does anyone know if installing another mail.apk while the current one is installed will cause adverse effects? Or shall I just say eff-it and do it.

EDIT: Already tried it, fails to install when you open the APK. I tried Astro File Manager. Any tips? other files I need to copy?

Edited by willdenham

Guest starkruzr
We want the exact opposite from what you do. We WANT the HTC mail on CM, not the vanilla mail on Desire. ;)

I'm a sysadmin and need exchange support, and the exchange support that the HTC mail gives is just... AMAZING. Better than ANY mobile mail client I have ever used, bar none.

If battery life on the Desire ROM didn't suck so much I'd just use it, but I love my CM battery life, just miss my HTC Mail.

I think I'm going to try the opposite of what you did, find the mail.apk on the desire's rom and try to install it. Does anyone know if installing another mail.apk while the current one is installed will cause adverse effects? Or shall I just say eff-it and do it.

EDIT: Already tried it, fails to install when you open the APK. I tried Astro File Manager. Any tips? other files I need to copy?

Did you try putting it into /system/app?

Guest muncheese

push it to /system/app/

if this works for mail and calendar I will reflash CM tomorrow.

Please let me know if this works!!

I am interested in getting the clock application from the desire rom to run on the MDC rom. I think this app is great, I use timer all of the time but to be honest there is no other viable option in the market that looks as sleak as the entire clock application running in desire. How would I get this to run?

Definitely appreciated if we can get this going

Guest ande_uk

i just tried installing the mail.apk from madoco's desire rom on cyan 5.0.5.2 and got installation failed.

i did it through root explorer, not through adb push but i dont think it will make a difference?

Guest willdenham

I pushed the APK itself into system/app and still got the same error with Astro when trying to install the file.

I then tried to install it from ADB itself in command prompt using adb install Mail.apk

I can see it sends the full Mail.apk in just a second, and says that the pkg is in /data/local/tmp/Mail.apk and gives me an error stating

Failure "install_parse_failed_unexpected_exception"

Guest muncheese

Not surprising, htc sense has another process it uses to manage all communications in and out of the phone. It's how they can thread email conversations, and show contacts emails/sms/social sites/etc all together. I'm sure the mail is portable if someone kills all the hooks the email has for rosie.

It was worth a shot.

Edited by muncheese

Guest starkruzr
I am using MotoCal.apk and MotoGal.apk on my Cyan 5.0.5.3 and it works flawlessly.

Thanks

Are you able to accept/decline invites? Also, how did you install them? Edited by starkruzr

Guest hodags
Are you able to accept/decline invites? Also, how did you install them?

From my testing with the motoCal/Gal apps with Cyanogen, they don't add the functionality to support PIN Lock or Remote Wipe EAS Profiles so if you need that support, you'll still have the issue..

Guest acantril
I am using MotoCal.apk and MotoGal.apk on my Cyan 5.0.5.3 and it works flawlessly.

Thanks

There was a problem with the older version of MotoCAL in agenda view - specifically it would force quit and save the settings meaning the application wouldn't start again. This was fixed with the most recent update.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=131