Possible for acer liquid to emulate sim card ?

Guest quantumfusion

Guest quantumfusion

Pardon me if this is a stupid question(i am a technology noob), but if this is actually possible.

Make an app to copy the vital information in the sim cards and emulate as if there is a sim card in the phone even if it is removed?

This would be real cool as i would be able to use my original sim on a second phone.

Guest linuxluver
Pardon me if this is a stupid question(i am a technology noob), but if this is actually possible.

Make an app to copy the vital information in the sim cards and emulate as if there is a sim card in the phone even if it is removed?

This would be real cool as i would be able to use my original sim on a second phone.

How would this play out?

Two (why not 1wo hundred or two thousand?) phones with the same number....all emulating the same SIM?

Or....

Thousands / millions of phones with unallocated / illegitimate / bogus / stolen numbers in emulated SIMs?

Anyone else think of reasons why SIMs aren't copy/paste?

Guest Brins0

I can actually see how this would be very useful, and I've been trying to establish if it's possible myself. It would be very handy to be able to store the contents of my O2 contract card, and a 3 PayG card to take advantage of their Skype service. Having to carry the sim card around, keep it safe, and power down to change them over would be a pain, but if you could simply click a button, and have it change over, then imagine the possibilities.

Yes, every system is open to abuse, and this could be abused, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to look into it...

Guest Ultimate Chicken

That's actually something I'd like. Here we have a prepaid (pay as you go) 3G data service that you can sign on without a binding contract, but it can't be tacked on to an existing SIM or account; you'd have to grab yourself a separate SIM. To use it on your cellphone you'd have to:

- crack it open,

- take out your current SIM,

- place the new one in,

- have your data service BUT your normal line obviously can't be used until you reverse the process.

The only other alternative is waiting for your account to go past the contract date and then recontract with the one that includes the data plan. Not everyone can do this.

Yes I know its open to abuse but short of buying an equally questionable dual-chip SIM and slicing my chips to fit them, or buying a separate cell/modem (why?), or switing to a dual sim unit (I don't think there're any Android powered ones yet... and even then I don't expect those to have even the Milestone's specs...), there's no way to avoid this inconvenience at the moment...

(PS: I am aware that it may not be possible to use two SIMs at once on the same phone. The main point of this would be to get around the need to crack your phone open all the time. The Acer Liquid has an amazingly secure back cover, and hell if I want to wear that out by repeatedly removing it.)

Edited by Ultimate Chicken