Any news on 2.1?

Guest Carl_Brummy

Guest FenriZ
Lol actually I didn't copy it from anywhere, I just wrote what I was thinking.

Link please?

I'd love to see if I have a mysterious twin writing the exact same as I do! =D Creepy, but awesome!

This is the mysterious site: http://goo.gl/dVLe ;)

Guest Kalle Falter

mmmmh, if Hero would get Froyo we wouldn't have the problem of waiting for HTC updates anymore, as with Froyo, Google will take Sense in their hands... at least that's what I understood from rumors. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Guest Wilkcos

Cue HTC release, we have decided to skip 2.1 and upgrade straight to 2.2. We dont have a confirmed release date for this upgrade, just keep yourself updated by visiting our website regularly!!!

mmmmh, if Hero would get Froyo we wouldn't have the problem of waiting for HTC updates anymore, as with Froyo, Google will take Sense in their hands... at least that's what I understood from rumors. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Changes to make Android more modular will be brought in with the next /two/ releases, Froyo & (iirc) Gingerbread. This will let Google release updates to components of Android without reliance on carriers. However, depending on how this is done, device manufacturers/carriers mods might still be embedded deeply into the remaining core; we'll just have to wait & see. Also, as far as us Hero users go, it won't make any difference unless we first get updates to both Froyo & Gingerbread.... Now, realistically, what's the chance of HTC updating Hero's ROM that far into the future? I have no idea, but I'd not want to be relying on it.

Guest G2 USER

Stickman's just release a hero GSM 2.1 rom, (port of the newley released Hero CDMA 2.1 android) and it's superb, works really well!!

Why don't you guy's try that until the official 2.1 then the Paul's modaco version is released, it will at least give you 2.1 for now!

Guest bunt83

UH OH....

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-co...ss&attr=all

"HTC will be providing a free update to Éclair for European HTC Hero variants. Starting in June, anyone owning an HTC Hero will receive an initial preparatory update, shortly followed by the full Éclair update."

"For the full update, we would recommend using a free Wi-Fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan, otherwise standard data charges may apply."

Guest Higgsy
UH OH....

"HTC will be providing a free update to Éclair for European HTC Hero variants. Starting in June, anyone owning an HTC Hero will receive an initial preparatory update, shortly followed by the full Éclair update."

"For the full update, we would recommend using a free Wi-Fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan, otherwise standard data charges may apply."

LOL

Guest RODNiC

Android 2.2 in a months time?!?!

Now I'm Officially angry with HTC!!

I surely never pretended Android 2.2 for the Hero (nor I do now..)

But this is getting ridiculous!!!!

Guest starfarer
UH OH....

And only smile that brought on me was this last line...

Come and check back on this story in June, when we'll probably be able to tell you the upgrade is coming in December

Oh Hero as "Legacy model" ;) ;)

Guest cezent
UH OH....

It wont happen, just let it go

Guest BeerW0lf

Oh my! Didn't see that one coming! ;)

HTC should stop making false promises every month, it's getting ridicilous. I would accept a promise, that has been used in the gaming industry for some time: "When it's done.". Then people wouldn't get all hyped up and feeling betrayed by HTC, month after month.

I've been quite patient with HTC releasing the 2.1 update. When I saw, yet another: "No update for you, we were just kidding! The real one however, is to be released very very shortly!". I wiped my phone and flashed it with Villain 5.2 ROM. So far so god. I guess it will have to do for now. Let's all just hope Paul gets back ok, with all the volcanic dust flying around. ;)

Guest volatile_ink

HTC should just release their s/w even if it is total cr*p. The custom dev's will do a much better job than them on it anyway! Look at MCR 1.5 ;)

Guest nicandris

well think abt it... HTC has release quite a few Android models since Hero... so why giving us an update instead of pushing as to buy another device? This is basicly a marketing game. No other reason!

Our devs as individuals create great optimised roms in days/weeks. Who believes that HTC with a bunch of devs on its side isnt able to create a freaking firmware? lets say a month with 5 devs working on it and 2 more months for testing and bug fixes!! Not 6 MONTHS (January-June)!! Come on guys flash a custom rom, HTC is making a fool out of us!

Guest volatile_ink

Despite my previous rants about wanting 2.1 from HTC and wanting an MCR ported 2.1, I can't really see the point of buying a new phone just to have 2.1.

I've tried 2.1 ports and have to say there's no 'wow!' factor for me. Sure, the market looks nice and that's about it. I have my Hero on contract for 24 months and paid £70 for it and will be able to upgrade to something better in Sept. 2011.. Would never spend £400 for a new device just because it has new software, which incidentally will more than likely suffer the same fate as the Hero... Dare I say it, but at the end of the day it's just a phone and it does the job and 1.5 does that job nicely.

Rant over.

P.S.

I'd still like 2.1 though ;)

Guest prupert

Has HTC ever officially said they'd update all Hero's to 2.1 other than in tweets and individual emails to customers?

They are clearly having problems getting the Hero to run 2.1 fast enough, with Sense UI on top. The Hero has only ~280 MB RAM, so I am guessing that is the problem. If you look at all the leaks of 2.1 that have been ported to Hero, they all have issues with slowdown. All the devices that have 2.1 already have twice the amount of RAM, I am thinking the Hero just hasn't got the specs to run 2.1 properly. It's such a shame Google didn't go down the Android route and have only one Google Android device (the Nexus) that they concentrate on. It would have been so much easier to develop for and support.

If you ask me, if HTC ever does release 2.1 for Hero, it is gonna be slooooooow. We'll then wait for Paul to release an MCR version of it, before it is even usable. Surely most people on this site are using a non stock ROM, so are you seriously gonna upgrade to an HTC Rom when it comes out? Surely not, since they might have implemented ways to stop you getting root access again and being able to install custom ROMS...

MCR3.2 on my phone is super fast, providing you don't install loads of apps that run in the background all the time and I get almost three days out of it.

So, don't hold your breath people.

Edited by prupert

Guest prupert
Despite my previous rants about wanting 2.1 from HTC and wanting an MCR ported 2.1, I can't really see the point of buying a new phone just to have 2.1.

I've tried 2.1 ports and have to say there's no 'wow!' factor for me. Sure, the market looks nice and that's about it. I have my Hero on contract for 24 months and paid £70 for it and will be able to upgrade to something better in Sept. 2011.. Would never spend £400 for a new device just because it has new software, which incidentally will more than likely suffer the same fate as the Hero... Dare I say it, but at the end of the day it's just a phone and it does the job and 1.5 does that job nicely.

Rant over.

P.S.

I'd still like 2.1 though ;)

The only reason I want 2.1 is to have native access to the Google apps that are currently restricted to 1.6+ devices (Googles and Maps w/ Navigation). That is the only reason for me.

Yeah, buying a new £400 HTC device, just to get this is stupid, and when Froyo and Harissa, or what ever they will call it, comes out, you can betcha all the Legend & Desire etc. owners will be angry because surprise surprise, they don't' get upgraded too....

Guest scoobytwo

@ prupert, i think its more to do with HTC wanting to sell new phones rather than problems getting 2.1 working on a hero.

Edited by scoobytwo

Guest AXIS of Reality

@prupert:

But remember, the Desire is the Nexus One in everything but name, so any Nexus One upgrades (which will be the first one to get new firmwares for some time to come) should be easily ported to Desire. Just depends how attached you are to Sense UI.

Guest volatile_ink
The only reason I want 2.1 is to have native access to the Google apps that are currently restricted to 1.6+ devices (Googles and Maps w/ Navigation). That is the only reason for me.

Have you tried Co-Pilot Live? It's not bad as a back-up sat-nav and cheaper than a new device (though IMHO, no replacement for a dedicate TomTom or equivalent).

Look on the bright side, for those of us with contract Hero's that will end before users with later devices and therefore later contracts, we'll be able to upgrade to whatever HTC have out then and we'll be on the cutting edge of Android (at least for a month!). Next Sept. for me, probably be using Android Zuccotto (actual desert, according to Google ;) )

Edited by volatile_ink