Any news on 2.1?

Guest Carl_Brummy

Guest masterpfa
Dare I say it, but at the end of the day it's just a phone and it does the job and 1.5 does that job nicely.

True

But we're all ROM meddling, never satisfied Android Geeks (Or is that just me?) ;)

The only reason I want 2.1 is to have native access to the Google apps that are currently restricted to 1.6+ devices (Googles and Maps w/ Navigation). That is the only reason for me.

Yeah, buying a new £400 HTC device, just to get this is stupid, and when Froyo and Harissa, or what ever they will call it, comes out, you can betcha all the Legend & Desire etc. owners will be angry because surprise surprise, they don't' get upgraded too....

+1

Who knows Google may even introduce a new phone to go with Froyo (2.2) probably a Nexus 2?!?!?!?!

I personally may only consider non branded phones in the future (Nexus 1 et al!)

Just depends how attached you are to Sense UI.

For some time now, NOT AT ALL!!! ;)

Look on the bright side, for those of us with contract Hero's that will end before users with later devices and therefore later contracts, we'll be able to upgrade to whatever HTC have out then and we'll be on the cutting edge of Android (at least for a month!). Next Sept. for me, probably be using Android Zuccotto (actual desert, according to Google :P )

Has anyone heard when Android Zuccotto will be released, will we be able to run it on our Hero's, will it be over the air, why haven't HTC kept us informed??? ;) :P

Edited by masterpfa

Guest prupert
@prupert:

But remember, the Desire is the Nexus One in everything but name, so any Nexus One upgrades (which will be the first one to get new firmwares for some time to come) should be easily ported to Desire. Just depends how attached you are to Sense UI.

Sadly, that's a big "should". I think it will be really interesting to see how support for the two phones pans out. I remember when I have a Nokia N73, and people with the same phone were on completely different Firmware versions depending on their network carrier (with Orange and O2 being terrible and getting new firmware versions out).

Guest prupert
Have you tried Co-Pilot Live? It's not bad as a back-up sat-nav and cheaper than a new device (though IMHO, no replacement for a dedicate TomTom or equivalent).

Look on the bright side, for those of us with contract Hero's that will end before users with later devices and therefore later contracts, we'll be able to upgrade to whatever HTC have out then and we'll be on the cutting edge of Android (at least for a month!). Next Sept. for me, probably be using Android Zuccotto (actual desert, according to Google ;) )

Already have CoPilotv8 on my phone, I have V7 on my Nokia N82 (it was a little known fact that it ran fine on Symbian). Overall it is awesome, but needs a whole bunch of free memory to run smoothly and I find that if you have orientation switch on and the road is bumpy, it crashes as the sensor tells it to switch orientation to often....

Overall, it is good though.

I think I still have another year at least on my contract. It's a shame updates are released so often and you can't buy just one phone that you know will be up-to-date with Android for many years to come. I was hoping the Nexus would be that phone, but with all the trouble with its Touchscreen and naff speaker, I think that phone has yet to be released.....

Guys!

When are you gonna understand that large companies like HTC do not care to much for aftersales especially for updates for discontinued products like HERO.

I work for big company as a tech support so I know how does it work from the other side

The software will be available when is ready. Writing letters, petitions will not do anything - waste of time for us as THEY DO NOT CARE. Few hundreds of customers dont make big difference of future sale of handsets as different companies have other problems as well and if we go for motorola droid - some people came to HTC from motorola.

This is how it works !!!

Tough but true.

Happy waiting.

Edited by m112