Nexus one with Desire Rom, or the Desire itself

Guest gamer3999

Guest gamer3999

Hello, I'm thinking about ditching my iPhone 3G and getting a new android phone. I having trouble however, on choosing which phone to get. I saw that the HTC Desire just came out and that thing is a sexy beast. The problem is that I live in the U.S. and I'm on T-mobile. I jailbroke my iPhone, but never had 3G, just EDGE. To the best of my knowledge, the Desire does not and will not support T-mobile U.S.'s 3G spectrum. Then I looked at the Nexus One, which does support 3G, but doesn't have the sense ui that I really like. Then a rom was released that has desire's sense ui for the nexus one.

For the tldr people, should I buy the Nexus One and flash the sense ui rom on it so that I can get 3G or should I buy the Desire and stay on EDGE as I've had.

Thanks you all.

Guest willdenham

Nexus One with a flash, just because of the EDGE vs 3G debate. The Desire ROM is NOT perfect right now, especially bluetooth problems and things of that nature, but for an alpha build it's amazing. Give it more time and it will be as polished as Cyanogen or the MoDaCo custom.

I say get the Nexus One.

1 - you'll get 3G speeds and a fully supported phone

2 - you have the option of getting the Desire ROM, and if the major bugs get fixed after the kernel source released you'll have exactly what you want; if not, then you at least have a great open SIM-unlocked and boot-loader-unlockable phone that you can mod, add widgets and alternate home screens, etc

So you get the most choices and flexibility with N1 vs Desire

sns

Guest airchie

As a long-time android user, the thing I miss the most when I don't have it is a fast 3G connection.

I couldn't imagine using my phone without HSDPA or at least 3G speeds.

so I would have to vote for the Nexus One also. ;)

Guest Sylar2010

Get the Nexus One!

The trackball LEDs for notifications is amazing!

The N1 design is better too, the desire has an oldschool look

The sole problem I faced with N1 is the poor battery life but reviews of Desire said it's not good either

Guest daisun
The RAM difference isn't really a selling point, it is *only* 64mb (12.5%) more.

Yes I understand but, not giving this information would disadvantage the Desire and not allow the OP to make an informed decision.

Guest gamer3999

Thanks for the input guys. But I just read on engadget that the new htc incredible is not only going to verizon, but maybe tmobile too. So I think I'll a few weeks to see what's coming out.

Guest Mogul B. God
Thanks for the input guys. But I just read on engadget that the new htc incredible is not only going to verizon, but maybe tmobile too. So I think I'll a few weeks to see what's coming out.

The HTC Incredible on T-Mobile is still a rumor but if it doesn't pan out I say the N1. I have it with the Desire ROM and for my use I have ZERO problems with it. I don't use Bluetooth so that's no big deal to me. I go back and fourth to CM5 but I always find myself missing the Sense UI even though lots of people complain about it. I'd love to see some of the stocks apps included with the Desire ROM changed cause htye are just ugly but overall I love it, I think it could be in Beta stages already.

I did have some issues when I upgraded my Desire ROM install but I wiped and reinstalled it and used only some of my back ups and now it runs rock solid even with the original APN list I get my T-Mobile 3G running fine!

Guest irenic
The HTC Incredible on T-Mobile is still a rumor but if it doesn't pan out I say the N1. I have it with the Desire ROM and for my use I have ZERO problems with it. I don't use Bluetooth so that's no big deal to me. I go back and fourth to CM5 but I always find myself missing the Sense UI even though lots of people complain about it. I'd love to see some of the stocks apps included with the Desire ROM changed cause htye are just ugly but overall I love it, I think it could be in Beta stages already.

I did have some issues when I upgraded my Desire ROM install but I wiped and reinstalled it and used only some of my back ups and now it runs rock solid even with the original APN list I get my T-Mobile 3G running fine!

erm how bout the signal reception, is desire better than nexus?

Guest Deathwish238
Hello, I'm thinking about ditching my iPhone 3G and getting a new android phone. I having trouble however, on choosing which phone to get. I saw that the HTC Desire just came out and that thing is a sexy beast. The problem is that I live in the U.S. and I'm on T-mobile. I jailbroke my iPhone, but never had 3G, just EDGE. To the best of my knowledge, the Desire does not and will not support T-mobile U.S.'s 3G spectrum. Then I looked at the Nexus One, which does support 3G, but doesn't have the sense ui that I really like. Then a rom was released that has desire's sense ui for the nexus one.

For the tldr people, should I buy the Nexus One and flash the sense ui rom on it so that I can get 3G or should I buy the Desire and stay on EDGE as I've had.

Thanks you all.

If you want the latest updates first and plan to root your phone and have fun with ROMs, get the Nexus One. The Desire ROM works great already and I can't wait till King gets the Sony X10 RachaelUI ROM stable. The Desire will be a good phone, just expect a smaller community and less dev support.

Guest mi_canuck

Get the Desire... seriously....

constantly having to wipe and restore and basically badword with a Nexus with a Desire ROM is a pita.... get a Desire, root it so you can put apps like SetCPU on, and be done with it...

Guest gamer3999

Well i just went ahead and bought a nexus one. I haven't had 3g before because of my iphone for tmobile. And my nerdy self likes the ability to install different roms as I please. Thanks for the help guys, I feel like I made a good decision.