Incredibly confused by range of ROM choices

Guest RazorICE

Guest RazorICE

I've been away from here for a few months now, although I occasionally have taken a look at a few topics. Basically I know a bit about what happened with Angio, but other than that I am completely out of the loop. Looking at the topic list now is just insane, I don't understand what is and what isn't a ROM or something else.

So, I hope this hasn't been asked recently, if it has please show me to it.

I'd like to know your opinions on what is currently the best ROM. I am using some Android 1.6 ROM from several months ago, I think it's just stock ROM with all the Acer crud removed. But now, I believe that Android 2.1 ROMs are out for the Android, if I'm not mistaken? Perhaps not officially? I don't really understand everything going on here.

What I want in the ROM is, obviously, 2.1 if it's available, but I also want it to be very fast, as fast as possible (as my current one is quite fast), and also as stable as possible - i.e. I want almost everything to work. I tend to use my phone mostly for google apps (Gmail, contacts, calendar especially, maps, and Navigation in Australia), and I also use Swype beta, Astrid, and Facebook. Other than those, I don't use anything apart from my own program which I coded for 1.6, so I'll probably have to update it, and also Wavesecure.

So, if anyone could give me some tips as to which the best ROM is at the moment, and if you think all the things I use would still be working? As far as I can tell, evil Eclair's ROM looks to be the best but I honestly don't know anymore ;)

Thanks for any help ;)

Guest ahsid
I've been away from here for a few months now, although I occasionally have taken a look at a few topics. Basically I know a bit about what happened with Angio, but other than that I am completely out of the loop. Looking at the topic list now is just insane, I don't understand what is and what isn't a ROM or something else.

So, I hope this hasn't been asked recently, if it has please show me to it.

I'd like to know your opinions on what is currently the best ROM. I am using some Android 1.6 ROM from several months ago, I think it's just stock ROM with all the Acer crud removed. But now, I believe that Android 2.1 ROMs are out for the Android, if I'm not mistaken? Perhaps not officially? I don't really understand everything going on here.

What I want in the ROM is, obviously, 2.1 if it's available, but I also want it to be very fast, as fast as possible (as my current one is quite fast), and also as stable as possible - i.e. I want almost everything to work. I tend to use my phone mostly for google apps (Gmail, contacts, calendar especially, maps, and Navigation in Australia), and I also use Swype beta, Astrid, and Facebook. Other than those, I don't use anything apart from my own program which I coded for 1.6, so I'll probably have to update it, and also Wavesecure.

So, if anyone could give me some tips as to which the best ROM is at the moment, and if you think all the things I use would still be working? As far as I can tell, evil Eclair's ROM looks to be the best but I honestly don't know anymore ;)

Thanks for any help ;)

Hi

I think you should keep your 1.6 version for now (I mean wait for the official 2.1 release), but if you really want to use the 2.1 version, I'd go for any of the four roms (LCR, Evil, Xian, Piter). They all have advantages over the other => Xian's has a hack that really enhances the quality of the sound, LCR has a fully working App2SD, Piter's has mms working and large choice of language support, and finally Evil's is using the latest of the latest stuff.

The choice is hard, especially if you depend on so many apps. I know for sure google nav doesn't work well on the new 0.8 bin (used by all those roms) but it might be different on Evil's last one. Maybe someone else can help you more, but I guess the best thing for you is to take a day or morning to try them all four.

Hope I helped.

Edited by ahsid

Guest goa200
Hi,

I think you should keep your 1.6 version for now (I mean wait for the official 2.1 release), but if you really want to use the 2.1 version, I'd go for any of the four rom's (LCR, Evil, Xian, Piter). They all have advantages over the other => Xian's has a hack that really enhances the quality of the sound, LCR has a fully working App2SD, Piter's has mms working and large choice of language support, and finally Evil's is using the latest of the latest stuff.

The choice is hard, especially if you depend on so many apps. I know for sure google nav doesn't work well on the new 0.8 bin (used by all those roms) but it might be different on Evil's last one. Maybe someone else can help you more, but I guess the best thing for you is to take a day or morning to try them all four.

Hope I helped.

if you are gonna say whats working and not working you need to get your facts straight.

xian has mms working as several tweaksenhancement. xians rom also has apps2sd and does piter's

over the 4 choices mentioned above id either pick piter or xian.

apps2sd really makes no diff to the overall performance.

sure if you got to many apps installed it's nice to have.

Guest RazorICE
Hi

I think you should keep your 1.6 version for now (I mean wait for the official 2.1 release), but if you really want to use the 2.1 version, I'd go for any of the four roms (LCR, Evil, Xian, Piter). They all have advantages over the other => Xian's has a hack that really enhances the quality of the sound, LCR has a fully working App2SD, Piter's has mms working and large choice of language support, and finally Evil's is using the latest of the latest stuff.

Hope I helped.

Thank you very, very much. You gave me a very informative answer and quickly too! I guess I will wait until the end of this month, hopefully Acer will bring out the update by then and we'll see more stable ROMs eh ;) For the moment, since you mentioned Google Nav doesn't work well, I'll stick with 1.6 as you suggested since I do use Nav quite often.

Thanks again! ;)

Guest ahsid
if you are gonna say whats working and not working you need to get your facts straight.

xian has mms working as several tweaksenhancement. xians rom also has apps2sd and does piter's

Never said what wasn't working ahaha except for google nav... Read my whole post please... then think a sec, then re-read it.. etc... (I know I being foolish but you're just a tiny little bit harsh). Never said I new all the advantages and flaws of all the roms, I was just trying to help a bit...

Sorry goa (now I'm being an a** again)

Guest goa200
Never said what wasn't working ahaha except for google nav... Read my whole post please... then think a sec, then re-read it.. etc... (I know I being foolish but you're just a tiny little bit harsh). Never said I new all the advantages and flaws of all the roms, I was just trying to help a bit...

Sorry goa (now I'm being an a** again)

by saying -"Piter's has mms" you imply that the other roms mms isnt working so yes you said that it isnt working. Not to mention they all got apps2sd working. you need to reread the changelogs for all roms so you know what they got and what they dont got.

Guest snoopy33
by saying -"Piter's has mms" you imply that the other roms mms isnt working so yes you said that it isnt working. Not to mention they all got apps2sd working. you need to reread the changelogs for all roms so you know what they got and what they dont got.

Hi Goa,

About mms, some of these Rom have mms but with a bug that make it very long to load. For what I know Xian Rom in its last version has the FC bug. But by uploading another apk, it solves the issue. On other Rom in their last version, even by uploading new apk, it doesnt change anything.

Have you success to use apps2sd in the last Xian Rom ? I try two times, even by changing boot image (I use the one provided by malez on his google web site) but boot never finish to load.

To activate apps2sd, I go to recovery, and activate apps2sd which move apps from internal memory to the ext2 sd partition ... May be there is something i forgot ? I think there is no need to use a terminal to activate apps2sd like before, am I wrong ?

If you have an idea, I ll be happy to try it.

Thanks.

Guest ahsid

I never said I new for sure, that's why I wrote others may know more. Anyway you're probably right about what's working or not... I'm just being picky because when I read you, it doesn't sound nice, condescending I'd say...

Guest goa200
I never said I new for sure, that's why I wrote others may know more. Anyway you're probably right about what's working or not... I'm just being picky because when I read you, it doesn't sound nice, condescending I'd say...

i dont have anything against you, but you need to be sure what each rom does and doesn't do to be fair to the op and to the developers. but i think we can agree on the fact that there are plenty nice roms to choose from =)

Guest goa200
Hi Goa,

About mms, some of these Rom have mms but with a bug that make it very long to load. For what I know Xian Rom in its last version has the FC bug. But by uploading another apk, it solves the issue. On other Rom in their last version, even by uploading new apk, it doesnt change anything.

Have you success to use apps2sd in the last Xian Rom ? I try two times, even by changing boot image (I use the one provided by malez on his google web site) but boot never finish to load.

To activate apps2sd, I go to recovery, and activate apps2sd which move apps from internal memory to the ext2 sd partition ... May be there is something i forgot ? I think there is no need to use a terminal to activate apps2sd like before, am I wrong ?

If you have an idea, I ll be happy to try it.

Thanks.

It does seem some ppl have issues with mms when it comes to some languages. since im from sweden the problem doesn't occur for me.

and as faar as apps2sd goes i have absolutely no idea since i dont wanna use it. best bet is to post in the thread of the rom you've flashed

Guest CastSpellar

Hi,

I too have the habit of reading this forum, although I don't usually participate in the topics.

However I like being aware of what is going on and am very appreciated for all the effort of our community.

I would like to propose that a sticky post could be created, with a link to a google spreadsheet or something like that, with common features vs roms.

This is especially useful for those who aren't much aware of the current cooked rom's characteristics.

I currently don't have time for it, but I volunteer myself to do it as soon as possible.

The objective is not to create a competition between Rom chefs, but simply to help the users decide what's best for them.

Sorry for the off-topic, but it's just an idea.

Tiago Clemente

Guest Piter1225

This idea has no future in my opinion, because things in ROMs are changing so fast with every release, so person who create this kind of comparison should have about 7 Liquids to be updated and make reliable comparison. For me its unreal.

get your facts straight,

apps2sd does make loading apps slower if you did load the apps on to the sd card.

Guest xian1243

Calm down guys. ;) Apps2sd does indeed have negative effects on performance... as NAND Flash is faster than SD... imagine 100 MB/s vs 10 MB/s. That's the kind of difference I'm talking about.

Edited by xian1243