update liquid without acer tools

Guest rsuinux

Guest rsuinux

hello all;

My new 'Liquid' works with a system 1.004.02_EMEA_GEN1, but I'm not user on windows (any xp or other).

I use linux (debian or Ubuntu) only. No virtualbox possible because no windows img.

One user sent me the file "ACER_A1_MergeFile.bin" (120Mo). It's the img file in the update in the official Acer package

OS_Acer_2.000.16.EMEA.GEN1_A16D_A.zip.

My question: with adb or other android sdk program, is possible to apply this update (ACER_A1_MergeFile.bin)

or permanently install windows and remove linux?

The malez recovey is may be The Solution?

Thank you for your opinion, and sorry for my english.

Rémi.

Guest fantong
hello all;

My new 'Liquid' works with a system 1.004.02_EMEA_GEN1, but I'm not user on windows (any xp or other).

I use linux (debian or Ubuntu) only. No virtualbox possible because no windows img.

One user sent me the file "ACER_A1_MergeFile.bin" (120Mo). It's the img file in the update in the official Acer package

OS_Acer_2.000.16.EMEA.GEN1_A16D_A.zip.

My question: with adb or other android sdk program, is possible to apply this update (ACER_A1_MergeFile.bin)

or permanently install windows and remove linux?

The malez recovey is may be The Solution?

Thank you for your opinion, and sorry for my english.

Rémi.

Guest fantong

as I known , the answer is no, acer update tool can flash the radio version at the same time, and adb can not.I'm linux user too but I recommend that you should find a windows pc to update your phone, because as you known the failed update will brick your liquid

Guest rsuinux
as I known , the answer is no, acer update tool can flash the radio version at the same time, and adb can not.I'm linux user too but I recommend that you should find a windows pc to update your phone, because as you known the failed update will brick your liquid

thank you for your reply. I will avoid to brick my liquid!

I'll still try a virtualbox. I will find a windows system img, and a lot of courage ;)

Regards

Rémi.

I'll still try a virtualbox. I will find a windows system img, and a lot of courage ;)

I also use Linux on all computers, although have a Vista on a laptop partition.

I hope it will work for you on virtualbox, awaiting to hear about the results!

Guest rsuinux
I also use Linux on all computers, although have a Vista on a laptop partition.

I hope it will work for you on virtualbox, awaiting to hear about the results!

My (actual) first installation of virtualbox in ubuntu 9.10 is very .... bad

modul compilation with multiple errors.... ;)

But, i'm find there ;)

Courage!!!

Guest linuxluver
My (actual) first installation of virtualbox in ubuntu 9.10 is very .... bad

modul compilation with multiple errors.... ;)

But, i'm find there ;)

Courage!!!

I strongly recommend you do this on a Windows system. It only takes 5 minutes. Ask a friend. If you don't have any friends, stop playing with your phone and get some friends! :-)

Guest rsuinux
I strongly recommend you do this on a Windows system. It only takes 5 minutes. Ask a friend. If you don't have any friends, stop playing with your phone and get some friends! :-)

ok, ok!

After 5 minutes of reflexions, and compilatioàn, my virtualbox is installed ;)

and my good friend let me windows xp cdrom installation for demo.

But, it is not logical that one linux system (liquid) call _only_ windows for this update.

Rémi

Guest MrVanes

You can't update the Liquid from virtualbox. Believe me, I tried and it failed (quick, luckily). It's something to do with the constantly changing USB device, which virtualbox doesn't keep up with. The iPhone has a similar problem, but that one got fixed, no surprise.

Hi guys,

If you try to use Virtualbox, then do not use the open source version inside Ubuntu Linux, but use the full version package on the Virtualbox homepage. I read before, that the difference between the two version is related to USB handling. For the full version there is no manual compilation needed, just go to the homepage, pick up their repository, or install the downloaded package. So better not to break your liquid with hand compiled or not so complete Virtualbox versions.

I am still not so brave to use a virtual computer to flash my liquid, although the USB periferials like cams worked for me, when I tried long ago. ;)

Guest MrVanes

Listen carefully: "VIRTUALBOX, in any form, WILL NOT FLASH YOUR LIQUID".

The Open Source version does not have USB devices AT ALL, btw!

But then again, I welcome anyone who is brave enough to break his or her Liquid to prove the opposite. And of course, there may have been bugfixes since the last time I tried: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1167180

Guest rsuinux
Listen carefully: "VIRTUALBOX, in any form, WILL NOT FLASH YOUR LIQUID".

The Open Source version does not have USB devices AT ALL, btw!

But then again, I welcome anyone who is brave enough to break his or her Liquid to prove the opposite. And of course, there may have been bugfixes since the last time I tried: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1167180

Thank you for your reply. I do not want brick my Liquid. ;)

Conclusion windows only. I am disappointed.

Guest petrosy
Thank you for your reply. I do not want brick my Liquid. ;)

Conclusion windows only. I am disappointed.

Have you tried any of the WINE derivitives? Probably a little risky.

But, it is not logical that one linux system (liquid) call _only_ windows for this update.

Acer Tools are not a part of Android platform, nothing illogical here. Ask Acer for proper drivers. Or write your own ;)

WINE will not help - it is user run-time, Win32 "emulator". Drivers are NT apps, they are NOT related to Win32 in any way. WINE does not emulate NT. And you need physical hardware access for drivers to work, so virtualization will not work too. Installing Windows is the only way.

You may download Windows from MS site for free, it will work for 30 days. It is 100% legal. And then you can legally extend grace period by another 90 days.

Guest Borkata

Auxx you are not 100% correct. There are drivers for linux and you should have them after install Android SDK for linux.

The next step is to try and make Acer tool, which is .NET application to run under linux using some sort of emulation.

Guest rsuinux
Have you tried any of the WINE derivitives? Probably a little risky.

Wine does not have access to usb , i think

but, I not tested some time

You may download Windows from MS site for free, it will work for 30 days. It is 100% legal. And then you can legally extend grace period by another 90 days.

Oh, I do not know it existed!

but, I'll use a friend with a Windows, to have any problem

Edited by rsuinux

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rsuinux

Hello

I have not abandoned!

In (french forum) http://forums.smartphonefrance.info/viewtopic.php?t=58782

I used a method for extracted all img files for upgrade!. But I also have files. MBN and. HEX.

Have you any idea of their use?

I'm writing a script to apply the latest update of Acer. This script apply only the 4 .img files. But without information of the .mbn / .hrx files , I can not continue.

First (and not finish) version in: http://remi.suinot.org/IMG/mise_a_jour.sh

script upgraded in when I write.

Rémi.

Guest bellanano

No you can't at the moment.

Virtualbox doesn't work for acer tool, the problem it's somethings about usb virtualization.

I've asked to a friend for his winzozz computer.

But this is only for the bin, rom can be pushed via malez recovery. And Adb works great on linux.

Guest rsuinux
No you can't at the moment.

Virtualbox doesn't work for acer tool, the problem it's somethings about usb virtualization.

I've asked to a friend for his winzozz computer.

But this is only for the bin, rom can be pushed via malez recovery. And Adb works great on linux.

Yes, I say, my virtualbox and windows is only for explor the files of acer tool and update file.

my question is for the files *.mbn Android *.hex

How to push this files in the Android phone?