Couple Questions about Flotanium/ Titanium/ M2D

Guest Teche

Guest Teche

I have been using cooked ROMs from here for a while now, but I dont claim to know anything about them other than how to get them onto my phone.

I just flashed to DC22, and would like to use one of the awesome cooked roms on the site, but I now see people providing 3 different versions, mostly Flotanium, Titanium and M2D. Are those just different styles of GUIs?

I have a copy of SPB Mobile 3 that I usually stick over the top of any ROM im using, and I like the look and feel of it.

My question is, which one of those ROMs should I use underneath SPB, does it mater? Should I just look for a blank "BASE" rom and try and download all the cool programs one by one, which seem slike a PITA to me.

My other noob question is, can I remove individual programs from a ROM I download after I install it? Lets say for instance the ROM has the program "Tell Me" on it but id like to remove it, is that possible, I only ask because like 80% of the stuff included in some of these ROMs means absolutely nothing to me, as in I dont know what its for or how to use it. The "Tell Me" one is just an example .. I actually like that program ;) Thanks

R/Shawn

Guest tractor101
I have been using cooked ROMs from here for a while now, but I dont claim to know anything about them other than how to get them onto my phone.

I just flashed to DC22, and would like to use one of the awesome cooked roms on the site, but I now see people providing 3 different versions, mostly Flotanium, Titanium and M2D. Are those just different styles of GUIs?

I have a copy of SPB Mobile 3 that I usually stick over the top of any ROM im using, and I like the look and feel of it.

My question is, which one of those ROMs should I use underneath SPB, does it mater? Should I just look for a blank "BASE" rom and try and download all the cool programs one by one, which seem slike a PITA to me.

My other noob question is, can I remove individual programs from a ROM I download after I install it? Lets say for instance the ROM has the program "Tell Me" on it but id like to remove it, is that possible, I only ask because like 80% of the stuff included in some of these ROMs means absolutely nothing to me, as in I dont know what its for or how to use it. The "Tell Me" one is just an example .. I actually like that program ;) Thanks

R/Shawn

Titanium is the only one you can, or SHOULD use with Mobile Shell (IMO). Some have produced what they call "UIless" roms but i have no first hand experience. I wouldn't use them though figuring there's bound to be something missing in them.

i flashd a base titanium rom then installed mobile shell - running perfect.

Edited by tractor101

Guest robertjm

Your second question illustrates perfectly why you should consider going with a base ROM rather than a prebuilt one, namely all the crud built in that CANNOT be removed from a ROM once it's on a phone.

While the thought of flashing a base/lite ROM and then "installing programs one by one" may sound like a pain, it has major advantages. The biggest one is all the real estate you're going to have in your Device Memory to actually install stuff you might want to run.

The first custom ROM I installed was a Titanium ROM, but after I installed programs that I wanted to run, I was sucking vapor on space available, and that was even with installing stuff to My Storage whenever possible. The second ROM I installed was a lite ROM, and I still have 130 over half the system memory available should I need to use it! And one thing that is still a little strange to comprehend is that while someone may say they have a "base" ROM, the default blue interface that comes with WM 6.5 has the functionality of Titanium, namely the scrolling list of shortcuts on the front page. I've seen the UI-less ROMs referred by some people as Naked ROMs. Those have stuff stripped to the walls and you can bolt an interface over the top of it. But be warned the more is taken out, the more possible something may not be there you need.

Make yourself a list of the programs you actually use. Then install something like Sashimi, which is a program to installing apps automatically. While it may take a while to set up Sashimi with the cabs and the registry entry files for those programs that need it, it's really slick to flash a new ROM and then run Sashimi and watch the programs install themselves automatically.

Also, spend a little time reading the threads on the custom ROMS you're considering installing. One of the threads on Lioryte's lite ROM had links to a whole bunch of cabs for programs that are normally built-in so you can add stuff in that the chef took out. Pretty handy.

Good luck!

Robert

Edited by robertjm

Guest Teche

Thanks for the replies, I will for sure look into Sashimi, it sounds like that is the way that would work best for me.

Another thing I see people building into even most of what they are calling Base ROMs is XDA_UC, isnt that also a program you can set up to auto install cabs? I have to admit I have never really looked into it before and could be totally wrong.

What kinda problems would I run into if I just went into where the programs reside on the phone (the ones I dont use) and delete the folders. I know the registry would be cluttered with old stuff, but If I never use it, it seems like i could clear some junk out.

Thanks again.

Guest robertjm

I'm going to let someone else answer the "can I just delete it" question because I've never tried it and don't know what kind of hidden gotchas there might be other than stuff automatically loading and hiding in the background.

Regarding XDA_UC, it does install stuff automatically, just as Sashimi does. However, I'm not sure you can automatically install registry entries or wifi/email account settings with XDA_UC. Also, Sashimi can be run from a program that's on your microSD card. The whole idea behind XDA_UC is that it's executed when you turn your phone on. Then, if you want to start something else you have to reboot your phone again. Not convenient at all.

Robert

Thanks for the replies, I will for sure look into Sashimi, it sounds like that is the way that would work best for me.

Another thing I see people building into even most of what they are calling Base ROMs is XDA_UC, isnt that also a program you can set up to auto install cabs? I have to admit I have never really looked into it before and could be totally wrong.

What kinda problems would I run into if I just went into where the programs reside on the phone (the ones I dont use) and delete the folders. I know the registry would be cluttered with old stuff, but If I never use it, it seems like i could clear some junk out.

Thanks again.

Edited by robertjm

Guest Teche
I'm going to let someone else answer the "can I just delete it" question because I've never tried it and don't know what kind of hidden gotchas there might be other than stuff automatically loading and hiding in the background.

Regarding XDA_UC, it does install stuff automatically, just as Sashimi does. However, I'm not sure you can automatically install registry entries or wifi/email account settings with XDA_UC. Also, Sashimi can be run from a program that's on your microSD card. The whole idea behind XDA_UC is that it's executed when you turn your phone on. Then, if you want to start something else you have to reboot your phone again. Not convenient at all.

Robert

Thanks again.