Google maps navigation

Guest Scsiborg

Guest Scsiborg

For those of you who currently haven't heard you will be glad to hear (should you live outside the US) that google have now enabled maps navigation in other parts of the world. They have also supposedly fixed the road name on next turn issue and the turn by turn audio. Great news for the rest of the world i think you would agree. This is something that the iphone community really cant smirk at.

Now wouldn't it be fantastic to have that official acer eclair release, if you were to believe some of the previous posts and findings (i check here and other places daily) you would be forgiven for thinking that a release was immanent, just what is happening?

In the mean time i have been most impressed by the roms released on this and other forums (with the exception of the angio fiasco, of which i was summarily banned from this forum for sticking up for some of its members, if your interested i have some quite interesting responses from the moderators) however my main gripe at the minute is the sound quality. It seemed to me that after the first leaked ROM the treble was set excessively high - does anyone know why? or possible have a work around?

Edited by Scsiborg

Guest bgmrk

I heard it was only enabled in the UK and it's enabled server side, so there is no update, all google map apps have it already installed. it just needs to be turned on.

EDIT: tried it in canada, and no luck here.

Edited by bgmrk

Guest Scsiborg

I diddnt realise, i assumed this was a global thing? Yes it does work here in the UK now, i doubt they will keep the rest of the world waiting for much longer. I dont understand why they would delay like this.

Guest bgmrk

google doesn't own the maps they use for the rest of the world...they made the USA maps them selves...the rest they borrowed from different people, so they have to get the licensing to use those maps in a turn by turn app. It's stupid yes.

Guest MrVanes

How would I _know_ navigation is enabled for me? I can use "directions" in Maps, but I don't see the 'navigation' stuff (tilted map and next turn on top). Should that appear automagically?

Guest Scsiborg
How would I _know_ navigation is enabled for me? I can use "directions" in Maps, but I don't see the 'navigation' stuff (tilted map and next turn on top). Should that appear automagically?

Have you updated and where are you based?

Guest bgmrk

When you get directions some where, there are 2 buttons. Show on map, and Navigate should be right under or above that. If it's not there...it's not enabled.

Guest Scsiborg
There's defenately no 'Navigate' button, only 'Show on map' (actually it's more of a line than a button).

If you use ADB and remove Maps.apk from your system apps directory

Adb remount

Adb shell

rm /system/app/Maps.apk

Then install (using an apk installer) a modified Maps.apk file from here http://files.legendofbong.co.uk/download.p...hed-no-root.apk, that WILL fix your problem.

This is odd but with the liquid you need root to remove the Maps.apk file, but you have to install the unrooted Maps.apk file from above or it wont install.

Guest Quipeace

The replacement maps.apk you mentioned does not work at all, minimizes when trying to write a streetname and force closes when asking for directions.

Guest MrVanes

This is in conflict with what was posted earlier, no different Maps.apk necessary as Google switches the navigation on or off remotely? And what happens if the Maps app gets updated via market after I install the above one? Besides, I'm not that eager to get navigation work, I was just curious how I would know if it was switched on for me and now I know. Thx!

Edited by MrVanes

Guest Scsiborg
This is in conflict with what was posted earlier, no different Maps.apk necessary as Google switches the navigation on or off remotely? And what happens if the Maps app gets updated via market after I install the above one? Besides, I'm not that eager to get navigation work, I was just curious how I would know if it was switched on for me and now I know. Thx!

no im sorry, but before Maps was enabled in the UK - this is what i used, and it works fine

Guest malez
however my main gripe at the minute is the sound quality. It seemed to me that after the first leaked ROM the treble was set excessively high - does anyone know why? or possible have a work around?

In LCR 1.4, I managed to have a really better good sound (no more excessive treebles, louder basses), you can try it tell me what you think of it.

Guest Scsiborg
In LCR 1.4, I managed to have a really better good sound (no more excessive treebles, louder basses), you can try it tell me what you think of it.

Oh thank you ill have a look

Guest Ben-F

If Navigation hasn't been activated in your country yet there is another way you can access it and it doesn't involve removing the old maps.apk.

I'm in the UK and this worked fine for me. In the Market search for an App called 'Nav Launcher'. If you don't have Navigation enabled then it downloads an alternative maps.apk for you, called 'Maps [brut]', it keeps both the old and new one so there's no hassle in rooting and/or deleting apps.

Nav Launcher is actually a very useful app even if you do have Navigation enabled, it acts as like a short cut direct to the Navigation feature.

Guest Scsiborg

I was honestly thinking about getting rid of my Acer Liquid, having had a go on my friends desire compared to the liquid seemed far faster and in my opinion better. However after installing LCR 1.4 thats all changed, Massive improvement on all other roms, you should be proud - and thank you

Guest malez
I was honestly thinking about getting rid of my Acer Liquid, having had a go on my friends desire compared to the liquid seemed far faster and in my opinion better. However after installing LCR 1.4 thats all changed, Massive improvement on all other roms, you should be proud - and thank you

Thanks to you for your support. If you want even more speed, install latest theme patch with light laucher included or just install helix launcher from market, it is even faster (that is the one i personnaly use : smooth and clean, don't bother about any 3D effect that lags)

Edited by malez

Guest Scsiborg
Thanks to you for your support. If you want even more speed, install latest theme patch with light laucher included or just install helix launcher from market, it is even faster (that is the one i personnaly use : smooth and clean, don't bother about any 3D effect that lags)

Would you happen to know why i might be having a new issue with Navigation? ther arrow points away from the navigation line and the navigation line always points south instead of north - essentially like you need to reverse the entire route - making it quite useless - this has carried over fomr the last bin leak also

Edited by Scsiborg