U8110 Android 2.1 ROM

Guest BigBearMDC

Guest MarcusHenrique

Guys, I've just realized that booting recovery mode from fastboot is screwed since I've applied that April chinese update.

Since I have the U8220-6 and it's not rooted I cant boot recovery mode from adb.

The only way to fix it, i believe, is applying the original vanilla december update. Does anyone know where I can get it?

Remember that Pulse's MCR, t-mobile december update(?), and others will prevent my TS from work, and possibily rewrite my radio drivers.

HELP! =/

Guest Spooke
Feel free to open up a new thread.

I just didn't want to do so until this is working.

Well Id rather you created it since its all your hard work :P, I guess then make one once you get this sorted then :D

Good luck !

Guest Josh04

I think people should definitely be a bit more careful with what they're putting on their phones. With anything with a .APP ending, there is no guarantee you'll be able to go back.

Guest BigBearMDC

For me it seems like we all have to wait for the official release, and root that then :P

As it seems not to be possible to change the partitions without installing the update, but then it won't be able to root it :D

Except somebody else knows a way how to root it, with a screwed fastboot mode.

As far as I know that everything depends on flashing images to the device, and if that fails, it's unrootable.

So no matter how much work I put in this, it was obviously a waste of time :P

At least you now have a 2.6.29 kernel.

What about trying to pair it with the Pulse Mini ROM?

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest Josh04

Would it be possible to strip the system.img down to the size of the 1.5 one, and then nandroid flash it, keeping the current fastboot?

Guest Rizzly
For me it seems like we all have to wait for the official release, and root that then :P

As it seems not to be possible to change the partitions without installing the update, but then it won't be able to root it :D

As far as I know that everything depends on flashing images to the device, and if that fails, it's unrootable.

So this could be fixed if amonra could rebuild the recovery-software for the update, am I correct?

Guest bas-r

I bet you learned a lot.

Managing a crowd.. ;-)

Guest MarcusHenrique

So no matter how much work I put in this, it's pretty unusable :P

I'm afraid that's true. But why do you think the official release will support fastboot mode allright?

I think my fastboot mode is screwed the same as yours since that april update, and that was official!

Guest Basher52

When the rom is too big, maybe you could kick off some apps, if you managed to solve our little problem...

if extracted, the Appfolder needs about 47 Megabytes of space, a great chance to cut off some files...

Guest Azurren

As it seems not to be possible to change the partitions without installing the update, but then it won't be able to root it :P

So no matter how much work I put in this, it was obviously a waste of time :D

Lets see what paul makes of it before giving up all hope :P

I'm sure nothing has been wasted. After all the whole community loves you now. I guess that's an achievement :D

Guest Spooke
snip

I thought this was a offical 2.1 for the pulse, so why are you having trouble with partitions if its made for the pulse? :P

Cant you have the recovery and the stock 2.1 rom with no root working??

Guest BigBearMDC

stripping the system image is not possible I think, as there is not much that can be dropped.

Although there are maybe some apps that could be moved to the data partition, and I don't know how to accomplish it.

A new version of the amon-ra recovery would also not solve the problem, as we can't flash it to the right partition.

And yeah, I learned a lot, I'd say it was more a waste of time for you guys, and I'm really sorry for that :P

And Marcus, I don't think your fastboot mode is screwed.

Maybe you're doing something wrong?

Could you post your commands?

Guest BigBearMDC
I thought this was a offical 2.1 for the pulse, so why are you having trouble with partitions if its made for the pulse? :P

Cant you have the recovery and the stock 2.1 rom with no root working??

Because you guys can't install the original update, which is needed to make the system partition bigger.

And believe me, you don't want to install a ROM that is unrootable!

The recovery mode works, but overwrites either the system or the boot partition, because the fastboot mode is screwed up :D

Guest Spooke
stripping the system image is not possible I think, as there is not much that can be dropped.

Although there are maybe some apps that could be moved to the data partition, and I don't know how to accomplish it.

A new version of the amon-ra recovery would also not solve the problem, as we can't flash it to the right partition.

And yeah, I learned a lot, I'd say it was more a waste of time for you guys, and I'm really sorry for that :D

Ofc its not a waste of time for us, we were all being impatient I guess..

Ahh I see, well I guess we will have to wait for the Official release or to see what Paul can cook up :P

Edited by Spooke

Guest menno2

before we get Paul interested it should be made very clear to him that this topic as of page XX concers a leaked 2.1 Big Pulse rom, and the mini Pulse rom is no longer involved. this might get Paul interested to look at it before tomorrow. But he seemed to have not understood that, which is understandable if u start at page 1 and quickly go to the latter ones

Guest DanWilson

And yeah, I learned a lot, I'd say it was more a waste of time for you guys, and I'm really sorry for that :P

I'm curious, by deleting language packs, could it install then? Or would I have to resign it?

And is it just not partitioning? Why dont you include the partitioning bit? I dont care if i cant get back to Cupcake, and I'm sure some others wont either.

And does flashing a bad .zip run the risk of no more Pulse? Or does it revert, or do I have to reflash MCR? Lotta "Ors" & "Ands"

Edited by DanWilson

Guest bas-r

Don't worry about that. We all love your efforts.

Probably a stupid idea, but can't we repartition the phone, maybe through adb, or ssh'ing to the phone through busybox?

Guest MarcusHenrique

I believe it is. Since that when I do "fastboot-windows boot amor-ra-blabla.img"

Then I get to recovery mode, but it keeps getting erros like:

E:\blabla.log - file not found...

And when I try something like nandroid, it aborts...

Can you confirm if I can apply T-mobs december update on my mobile? I was't here by that time and I don't know if U8220-6 owners had problems with that.

Guest Spooke
I'm curious, by deleting language packs, could it install then? Or would I have to resign it?

And is it just not partitioning? Why dont you include the partitioning bit? I dont care if i cant get back to Cupcake, and I'm sure some others wont either.

Yeah true, If it works perfect then i dont think anyone will care about going back to Cupcake, Unless if it breaks and they have to send it to T-Mobile, or they want to sell it? :P

Guest BigBearMDC

If I, or somebody else, could add the partitioning part to the update.zip everything would be fine, with the only problem that the fastboot mode would be screwed again I guess.

I think that the real partition layout and the partition layout that's in the new fastboot mode just don't match.

Thats why every image just gets flashed in the middle of another partition.

And unfortunately there isn't much that can even be dropped off the device.

But sure, try everything that's possible!

Guest DanWilson
If I, or somebody else, could add the partitioning part to the update.zip everything would be fine, with the only problem that the fastboot mode would be screwed again I guess.

I think that the real partition layout and the partition layout that's in the new fastboot mode just don't match.

Thats why every image just gets flashed in the middle of another partition.

And unfortunately there isn't much that can even be dropped off the device.

But sure, try everything that's possible!

So signing isnt required?

Guest BigBearMDC
I believe it is. Since that when I do "fastboot-windows boot amor-ra-blabla.img"

Then I get to recovery mode, but it keeps getting erros like:

E:\blabla.log - file not found...

And when I try something like nandroid, it aborts...

Can you confirm if I can apply T-mobs december update on my mobile? I was't here by that time and I don't know if U8220-6 owners had problems with that.

OH, okay, got it :D

Unpack the amon-ra recovery using split_bootimg.pl, add your kernel, repack it and flash it.

It will then be working like a charm :P

But don't flash the original amon-ra without your kernel in it, it will screw up your TS :P