"Nexus One 3G Bugs No Longer Of Interest To Google"

Guest sb61g2

Guest sb61g2

Saw this on Gizmodo today. Does this really mean no official 3G fix in the future? Do the custom ROM guys already make modifications to the radio firmware?

"Hey guys,

I've seen some recent speculation on this thread about an OTA to improve 3G connectivity and I want to give you an update on the situation.

While we are continuing to monitor user feedback regarding the 3G performance on the Nexus One, we are no longer investigating further engineering improvements at this time.

If you are still experiencing 3G issues, we recommend that you try changing your location or even the orientation of your phone, as this may help in areas with weaker coverage.

-Ry Guy"

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5521919/nexus-one-3g-bu...erest-to-google

Edited by sb61g2

Guest HamNCheese

Wow... So basically they have stopped baseband development on this handset?

If so, this is the last Google branded device I'll buy. Apple, HTC, Motorola, etc, all support their hardware better than this.

If you are still experiencing 3G issues, we recommend that you try changing your location or even the orientation of your phone

WTF? Haven't we/they determined it's not a signal strength issue already? Doesn't the WCDMA "fix" prove this?

Edited by HamNCheese

Guest tropmonky
Short of Google putting up cell towers for T-Mobile, there really isn't much more they can do regarding reception.

I think there are two separate issues regarding this phone.

Yeah, even with the upgraded radio I still have the issue where the phone refuses to lock back onto 3G once in a while even though I'm in Los Angeles with excellent 3G coverage. If the phone gets a week 3G signal and has to drop to EDGE a lot of times (not every-time) it just refuses to connect back on 3G on its own even when I know I've moved to a 100% 3G area. THIS issue has got to surely be a software issue. If this is a issue with a piece of hardware being faulty then Google could face a rather large class action lawsuit, and I'd be in line on it.

THIS IS NOT A T-Mobile issue, this is either #1 a hardware issue, or #2 a software issue. People using the AT&T version of the phone have reported some these same issues. I wonder why Google would keep releasing the same model phone when there seems to be a true issue at hand?

With the recent statement of Google saying they are not working on anymore radio enhancements I'm now leaning towards the problem being with the hardware. Otherwise why would Google give up on this? This doesn't mean that there is something not working properly, but could simply mean that the design of the phone severely limits the radio reception thus meaning without a hardware change no amount of software would be able to help things further.

So, if it is a hardware issue maybe someone with radio knowledge can come up with a new internal antenna that would improve reception on our phones?? Maybe simply adding a longer wire antenna in a certain spot in the phone will help things? I'm not a hardware expert, just kinda talking out loud...

Cheers!

Guest tasty
I think there are two separate issues regarding this phone.

Yeah, even with the upgraded radio I still have the issue where the phone refuses to lock back onto 3G once in a while even though I'm in Los Angeles with excellent 3G coverage. If the phone gets a week 3G signal and has to drop to EDGE a lot of times (not every-time) it just refuses to connect back on 3G on its own even when I know I've moved to a 100% 3G area. THIS issue has got to surely be a software issue. If this is a issue with a piece of hardware being faulty then Google could face a rather large class action lawsuit, and I'd be in line on it.

There are areas in my metro area where I get -101dbm 3g signal and I can hold it just fine, while a block away I get -89dbm and it drops to edge. There is something else that is causing it to trip, like it verifies packets or looks for large fluctuations in signal that would be typical of a strong radio bounce (which would cause packet verification failure, similar to OTA TV).

Setting WCDMA=only causes it to either ignore the packet verification, or just "deal with it" until the signal dies, where as the prefered says "hey, I lost 25% of my packets, drop back to a stronger signal"

That's the best theory I've got...

Guest daisun

I'm in Australia and before I did the radio update my phone would drop to edge and then wouldn't go back to 3G/HSDPA when there was coverage unless I toggled 'airplane mode'. However, after updating to the latest radio the phone behaves as it should and switches between 2G and 3G/HSDPA accordingly. Personally I dont see anything wrong with the reception of the phone but Three (Au) is a different story...

Guest Wouter2020

I'm a radio network engineer working on GSM and WCDMA networks. There are basicaly 3 possible criteria for system (re) selections 1. Signal strength 2. Signal quality 3. System load. Thresholds can be set by the operator and can (depending on vendor options) be set different per base station. So it is hard to determine whether the phone behavior is as required by the network or not.

Guest tasty
I'm a radio network engineer working on GSM and WCDMA networks. There are basicaly 3 possible criteria for system (re) selections 1. Signal strength 2. Signal quality 3. System load. Thresholds can be set by the operator and can (depending on vendor options) be set different per base station. So it is hard to determine whether the phone behavior is as required by the network or not.

Excellent first post. Thank you for that info.

I'm guessing inside I fail on #2 (which has higher signal, but more signal reflection. same problem I had with analog OTA TV). I can't fix it, but it makes me less agitated.

Guest Wouter2020

If you get pushed back to GSM more then you like you should try locking your phone to WCDMA only. Often operators push you back to GSM (to) early to prevent voice call failures on WCDMA as GSM coverage is usually better. Voice call service is considered more important opposed to (flat fee) data service.

If faster data connections are important to you then lock it on WCDMA. Often a poor WCDMA connection is still faster then GSM. Remember to switch it back where WCDMA service totally fails so you can fall back to GSM for minimal service. If you want to prevent voice call failures especially when travelling at speed or in poor WCDMA coverage areas then lock to GSM.

All off course depends greatly on your operator network and specific locations.

Guest tropmonky

This is interesting.

Looks like Verizon is saying "No thank you" to the Nexus one..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/g...mers-to-get-a/

An I'm betting the 3G issue on the Nexus One is partly to blame as is the crummy touchscreen... the Incredible appears to have a better touchscreen,

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/c...s-better-than/

Edit/Delete Message

Now I'm wondering if Google has pretty much stopped working with the Nexus One does that mean we prob won't see the phone come out on other carriers other than carriers that have already committed to the phone? I kinda think so...

Guest muncheese
This is interesting.

An I'm betting the 3G issue on the Nexus One is partly to blame as is the crummy touchscreen... the Incredible appears to have a better touchscreen,

Edit/Delete Message

Now I'm wondering if Google has pretty much stopped working with the Nexus One does that mean we prob won't see the phone come out on other carriers other than carriers that have already committed to the phone? I kinda think so...

I think it has more to do with them not coming to a proper deal. CDMA phones have to be programmed by the carrier to function on the network. That means Google/Verizon have to work on an agreement. They probably couldn't find the sweet spot money wise.

GSM phones (att/tmobile) are plug and play and don't need any authorization from the network providers.

Guest thelucster
If you get pushed back to GSM more then you like you should try locking your phone to WCDMA only. Often operators push you back to GSM (to) early to prevent voice call failures on WCDMA as GSM coverage is usually better. Voice call service is considered more important opposed to (flat fee) data service.

If faster data connections are important to you then lock it on WCDMA. Often a poor WCDMA connection is still faster then GSM. Remember to switch it back where WCDMA service totally fails so you can fall back to GSM for minimal service. If you want to prevent voice call failures especially when travelling at speed or in poor WCDMA coverage areas then lock to GSM.

All off course depends greatly on your operator network and specific locations.

Just to note on how to do this:

1. Dial *#*#4636#*#*

2. Select Phone Info

3. Scroll down and change 'WCDMA Preferred' to 'WCDMA Only'

This works on Desires too.

Guest DistortedLoop
This is interesting.

Edit/Delete Message

The "3G issue" can't possibly be the reason Verizon's not getting the Nexus One. Your assumption falls apart because Verizon is a CDMA carrier, and T-Mobile/AT&T are GSM carriers, so the hardware, as far as radios go, is completely different. The "3G issue" with T-Mobile phones couldn't carry over to a Verizon model.

Guest attn1
THIS IS NOT A T-Mobile issue, this is either #1 a hardware issue, or #2 a software issue. People using the AT&T version of the phone have reported some these same issues. I wonder why Google would keep releasing the same model phone when there seems to be a true issue at hand?

I am not convinced it is a "true issue" so much as it is the nature of the beast.

New stateside RF specs are limiting RF emissions near your noggin, so phones are more commonly sporting antennas in the bottom where people typically hold the phone. The idea is that if you hold the phone higher, you not only improve reception, but it's safer for your hand and you aren't stuffing rf energy directing into your ear. I've adjusted, and I don't have any issues with my 3g coverage.

And the title of the article is misleading. Google never said they were no longer interested in Nexus One 3g performance. I think they just acknowledged that they are at an impasse trying to rectify a popular and specific, yet complex and convoluted complaint with a software solution. I get that.

Edited by attn1