VPN application?

Guest ManOfSteal

Guest ManOfSteal

I don't actually have a Desire yet, am just checking first if it will suit all my needs, so I need to know what's presently available software wise. I'd prefer something like Teamviewer's functionality, very straightforward to use, but there's no Android version at the moment. Can anyone suggest something similar?

TIA

Guest phrawzty
I'd prefer something like Teamviewer's functionality, very straightforward to use, but there's no Android version at the moment. Can anyone suggest something similar?

Wait.. do you want VPN functionality, or a remote desktop viewer ? They are not the same thing.

If you actually want to use a VPN, the Desire supports PPTP and L2TP + IPsec natively. Just to test, i quickly set up a PPTP daemon on one of my linux boxes, and i was able to connect to it just fine using the Desire. So that works.

If you want a remote desktop viewer, the just hit up the marketplace (and/or google) and look for one ; there are a bunch already out for Android, and no doubt at least one of them works on the Desire.

Guest ManOfSteal

You're right of course and I indeed mean remote desktop viewer but it doesn't necessarily need to use RDP.

I'll do more searching, but of course any more recommendations are welcome, thanks :huh:

Guest yazooo

Be warned VPN isn't working for some, including me. It is a bug posted on the Adroid project site, whereby the VPN client isn't properly handling encryption. I have verified this with two different providers. What happens is you connect, can pass data for a few seconds and then it freezes. Am sure if you google android vpn problem you find the project site with the bug described.

The potential fix is when the desire gets rooted, we can use an alternative like OpenVPN or a repackaged client.