Underclocking HTC Desire

Guest qwertyux

Guest qwertyux

I think battery life on Desire really sucks compared to Hero & Legend. Anyone knows if it'd be possible to underclock the processor to say, 700Mhz or 800Mhz. Googled it, by it seems that to be nobody is doing it for the time being.

Guest roakes
I think battery life on Desire really sucks compared to Hero & Legend. Anyone knows if it'd be possible to underclock the processor to say, 700Mhz or 800Mhz. Googled it, by it seems that to be nobody is doing it for the time being.

I guess once its rooted then you can use the overclock widget to do it

Guest JuhiOS

Battery life sucks?? WTF. I had Hero and now I have Desire. With Hero my battery lasted one day with wifi and 3g off. Now with Desire I have wifi on 3g on everything syncing once in hour and have two days battery life.

Guest Br1an_g

my battery is comparable to other devices i have had. which means I am lucky to get a full day from it.

thats with wifi, BT and GPS off most of the time, backlight at minimal.

iphone was worst of my recent devices. had to keep it on charge most of the day to stop it dyeing mid call.

thats why they invented desktop chargers i suppose. :huh:

Guest kman3d
...Now with Desire I have wifi on 3g on everything syncing once in hour and have two days battery life.

LoL :huh: 2 Days? With every thing you listed I really need to push it to get a full day...

Now I'm not complaining because I know other devices are the same...

It's long time I'm saying, Speed of the devices is not an Issue, It's battery life!

Guest The_IMF

Are the people claiming the sh*t battery life using the generic rom?

I went to sleep with my phone at 100% with 3G on and auto synching etc. I woke up 7 hours later and the battery was at 81%. I remember doing the same with my hero and waking up with the battery at 21%.

I must admit that the first week my desire battery was as poor as the Hero but now it's at least twice as good as the Hero.

A lot of people have been complaining about battery life when they first get the phone, but apparently after a while of full charges the battery keeps getting better.

Guest zaphod0

Took a week or two for my desire to get to its full battery potential. Now im getting about 2 days with a fair amount of web browsing etc. As for underclocking the CPU I don't see the point as the clock speed dynamically scales. So most of the time, when its not being used, its running way under 1Ghz.

But I suppose if you're using the phone a lot it might help to underclock......but then it would be slower :huh: :P

Edited by zaphod0

Guest madmossy

Had my desire for just under a month now and battery life has improved greatly over time, and with a few apps to help.

I can now get upwards of 2 days moderate use, which is about the same as I had with my Omnia.

Guest qwertyux

Rooted my hero and downloaded setcpu from the market but it's not working.

I edited the min & max level, but nothing changed. Or do I need a custom rom that will support underclocking?

Guest PaulW21781

setcpu also does not work on the Desire, so I guess now its rooted, its just a waiting game till it supports it... (Unless HTC have locked out userspace scaling in the kernel completely)

Guest qwertyux
setcpu also does not work on the Desire, so I guess now its rooted, its just a waiting game till it supports it... (Unless HTC have locked out userspace scaling in the kernel completely)

rooted *my desire* , mispelled to hero :P

thought it's gonna work like nexus one, but it's not. :huh:

Guest PaulW21781
rooted *my desire* , mispelled to hero :P

thought it's gonna work like nexus one, but it's not. :huh:

Nope... Depending on how HTC have compiled the kernel, depicts whether we can manually adjust the CPU scaling once rooted. By default, it is set to OnDemand, so when not in use the speed drops to 245MHz anyway.

Just hope they release the Kernel source (unlikely) but its all GPL, so surely they are obliged to if requested??

Edited by PaulW21781

Guest AndyCr15
As for underclocking the CPU I don't see the point as the clock speed dynamically scales. So most of the time, when its not being used, its running way under 1Ghz.

Not to say I don't believe, but do you have a link showing this?

What makes you say this? It seems to be working on mine...

Guest PaulW21781
Not to say I don't believe, but do you have a link showing this?

What makes you say this? It seems to be working on mine...

When running setcpu on mine, regardless of what I set the scaling too, it still peaks at 984 and drops to 245 no matter what. Even when setting everything to just 245 max 245 min, enabling all profiles to do so AND setting the sliders in the main screen, it still scales it on the top to 984 under load.

Also...

# cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor	: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)

BogoMIPS	: 162.54

Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon 

CPU implementer	: 0x51

CPU architecture: 7

CPU variant	: 0x0

CPU part	: 0x00f

CPU revision	: 2

Hardware	: bravo

Revision	: 0081

Serial		: 0000000000000000

Where it states BogoMIPS, this value constantly changes each time you cat the /proc/cpuinfo file, which shows CPU scaling is already running. Even with everything set to 254MHz in setCPU, this value still continues to change. I've had 162.54 and 509.54 shown...

Guest lnoormohamed

on my desire the battery sucks compared to the touch pro2. desire can only get 7am to 5pm then its like on 9% where as the touch pro2 would be on 50-70% have to charge twice a day ridiclous hope theres a bigger battery htc can provide.