14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest geordiedavet

I'm having problems too... same as a few others.

when moving from recovery screen to next screen i get message of

E:Can't open /Cache/recovery/command

then i move on to the wiping of data, when wiping cache its ok but when wiping all data get message of CAN NOT BE DONE but does give you an option if you scroll down through 7 no's then to yes to sellect user data then 3 no's, selecting yes it dopes wipe the data ok, but then when i go to apply Sdcard:update.zip i get

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

I've tried a different gold card, I've downloaded R6 again but still no joy

1 thing i am getting when going into the recovery screens my laptop is starting to install android 1.0 driver which it can't locate. IS THIS THE PROBLEM? where can i get the driver?

any help guys, i'm no getting stressed been doing this for 4 hours....

Cheers Dave

Guest Chivalryy

Hi... hoping for a little advice :D

Tryin to root my desire and am up to running the step 1 bat, file..

in the cmd window,, it all goes well untill it gets to INFO[RUU]WP radio,100 ... then the next line reads..

Failed (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immidiatly)

sending `zip` (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

rebooting to bootloader.....

rebooting into bootloader... FAILED (command write failed (no such file or directory))

then it goes on to say step 1 complete... now use bootloader menu to enter recovery mode

and my phone just sits there with a black screen with the HTC letters showing on it... any idea what has gone wrong? or what i am doing that may cause this? thanks :D

Edited by Chivalryy

Guest thephreak

I am attempting to root my HTC Desire by following the instructions and i am having problems doing this. First of all when i do the 'step1-windows.bat'

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... OKAY

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

Now i don't know if the FAILED messages have any thing to do with the problem i am receiving next.

My next problem is when i get is once i select 'Apply sdcard:update.zip' on the recovery screen. of my phone i recieve the following message:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command...

-- Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

Installation aborted

can anyone help ?

Edited by thephreak

Guest dartisan

Well I fear I may have fully bricked my Desire. I've been doing step 1 with all the typical error messages reported along the way. On a couple of occasions it seemed to be all done, but the phone itself wont now turn on into fastboot or recovery mode... in fact it wont much turn on at all! On one occasion it appeared to be doing something, as the phone made a little start-up noise and a noise seemingly acknowledging the USB connection and the keys and power light coming on, but with nothing whatsoever appearing on the display! On re-attempting step 1 now even that's gone, just the black screen.

I can still just about re-run step 1 by getting Windows to acknowledge the USB connection is there (and the RUU process seeming to run as it should, which presumably means it's accessing the phone?) so maybe there's still hope? ADB doesn't list it as a device at the moment though so I wonder. I fear the Windows driver issues have done me over.

I'm also wondering if perhaps the battery has discharged? Although it was more than 50% before I started the process perhaps working on it for a couple of hours could have spent that? Will it USB charge at all times? There's no sign of a light to indicate it's charging. If not presumably I'll have to find somebody with a Desire to borrow to get my battery charged?

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated! I've rooted phones and hacked plenty of things before but have yet to manage to actually brick something. I could do without it first happening whilst working on my brand new Desire! :huh:

Cheers!

[For info: it (was) a 0.75 bootloader]

Edited by dartisan

Guest alaa aldin

hi

i need to root my desire but when open step1-windows my phone open bootloder and flash but ( failed reote 43 main vesion check fail ) restert and open on fastboot and me go to recovery and press vol up + power and select wipe data\factory rest and data wipe complete and select apply sdcard:update.zip no such file or direcotory installation aborted

Guest Andreas R.
Hi,

It looks like a lot of german T-Mobile Desire has a problem.

We can can:

- Update from T-Mobile ROM to HTC WWE ROM

- Update to Froyo

- Downgrade to Bootloader 0.8

We can't

- Root the Device ( Error 43 or Error 42 )

- Update to other ROM's T-Mobile ROM and WWE ROM don't work

=> Error: bootloader version error

To "repair" this error we have to root the device, but this does not work.

HELP

Had the same problem. Try: http://blog.23corner.com/2010/08/17/univer...oot-1-6-2-beta/. This got me a temporarily rooted desire (had to downgrade it to 2.1 with the PB99IMG.zip method first). Then I was able to unbrick the phone (seems to be the problem you have; see here: http://www.chrismarsh.co.uk/chippie.me.uk/desirebrick.html, root it with with unrevoked3 and now I'm a happy desire user with a rooted froyo again ^^

Guest jdsilas89

Hi, I live in Sydney, Australia, and recently purchased a HTC Desire from the UK, unlocked but branded to Orange. I am still trying to root it with no success. I created the gold card, and then got as far as running the r6 desire root. i clicked on step one, and it got the progress going, and there was a Black screen on my phone with the words HTC written on it (as i'm sure is supposed to happen). however, the command prompt in windows finished running and closed but the phone still had the black screen on it. So then I decided to download the r5 desire root .zip and ran step 1, which worked out fine and brought me back to the fastboot screen. however, i noticed that the rom version of the phone hadnt changed. i ignored that and decided to go on to recovery mode where the black screen with a picture of the htc with a red triangle above it. i clicked on step 2, and the process on the computer finished running and command prompt closed by itself again but the phone was stuck at the black screen. I dont know what I'm doing wrong because I've followed all the steps. could anyone help? Thanks

please email your reply to [email protected] if possible. thanks.

Edited by jdsilas89

Guest samepaul

Seems I'm one of those unlucky guys who "killed" his HTC Desire

I prepared goldcard, downloaded and unzipped pack for "bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x".

Copied update.zip to SD, however it wasn't empty - HTC created backups while I was busy downloading. Maybe this caused the nightmare...

Anyway, I turned HTC off, then on with "back" pressed. Then I connected phone to PC. "FASTBOOT" changed to "FASTBOOT USB".

I started step1-windows.bat. The following has appeared

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >
During this stage phone automatically switched to the splash screen I've never seen before. Gray background with white "HTC" label. Windows made sound of "reconnecting USB device" and then showed tooltip at systray "Windows was unable to recognize device... blah bla blah". I patiently waited, but nothing happened. So I pulled USB from phone and reinserted it back. This time device was successfully recognized and immediately in cmd console appeared
sending 'zip' (137446 KB)...
And green progress bar started to fill on phone's display. When it filled to full, script wrote OKAY and then printed the following

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking main version...

INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...

INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100

INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...

INFOstart image[radio] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

< waiting for device >
At "FAILED" line the phone's display suddenly turned off and from this moment never turned on. Windows made sound of disconnected and reconnected USB device, "My HTC" device appeared again in Device Manager and script continued to work
sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking main version...

INFOstart image[boot] unzipping & flushing...

INFO[RUU]UZ,boot,0

INFO[RUU]UZ,boot,40

INFO[RUU]UZ,boot,85

INFO[RUU]UZ,boot,100

INFO[RUU]WP,boot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,boot,45

INFO[RUU]WP,boot,90

INFO[RUU]WP,boot,100

INFOstart image[rcdata] unzipping & flushing...

INFO[RUU]UZ,rcdata,0

INFO[RUU]WP,rcdata,0

INFO[RUU]WP,rcdata,100

INFOstart image[recovery] unzipping & flushing...

INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,0

INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,24

INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,44

INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,65

INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,93

INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,100

INFO[RUU]WP,recovery,0

INFO[RUU]WP,recovery,22

INFO[RUU]WP,recovery,44

INFO[RUU]WP,recovery,67

INFO[RUU]WP,recovery,89

INFO[RUU]WP,recovery,100

INFOstart image[sp1] unzipping & flushing...

INFO[RUU]UZ,sp1,0

INFO[RUU]UZ,sp1,100

INFO[RUU]WP,sp1,0

INFO[RUU]WP,sp1,100

INFOstart image[system] unzipping & flushing...

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,0

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,3

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,7

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,12

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,16

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,20

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,25

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,29

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,33

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,37

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,41

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,45

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,50

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,54

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,58

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,62

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,66

INFO[RUU]WP,system,0

INFO[RUU]WP,system,66

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,66

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,68

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,70

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,72

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,74

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,76

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,78

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,80

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,83

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,85

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,87

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,89

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,91

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,93

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,96

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,98

INFO[RUU]UZ,system,100

INFO[RUU]WP,system,66

INFO[RUU]WP,system,68

INFO[RUU]WP,system,70

INFO[RUU]WP,system,72

INFO[RUU]WP,system,74

INFO[RUU]WP,system,76

INFO[RUU]WP,system,78

INFO[RUU]WP,system,80

INFO[RUU]WP,system,83

INFO[RUU]WP,system,85

INFO[RUU]WP,system,87

INFO[RUU]WP,system,89

INFO[RUU]WP,system,91

INFO[RUU]WP,system,94

INFO[RUU]WP,system,96

INFO[RUU]WP,system,98

INFO[RUU]WP,system,100

INFOstart image[userdata] unzipping & flushing...

INFO[RUU]UZ,userdata,0

INFO[RUU]UZ,userdata,100

INFO[RUU]WP,userdata,0

INFO[RUU]WP,userdata,100

OKAY

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

From the 1st sight seems good, but the problem here was that display is not working anymore. I can turn phone on and off, "My HTC" device appears and hides from Device Manager. I ripped off battery, reinserted it and tried to repeat whole process from the start, hoping that it will help.

Unfortunately, it didn't. All process repeated exactly the same way including disconnections. Without display this time, of course.

Paul, maybe you have any brilliant idea how can I return my HTC back to life?

upd. Damned... I have T-Mobile phone as well...

upd2. Ok, seems phone is not completely dead - it makes sounds, it receives calls and SMS, but display is always off. How can I know what's wrong with it?

Edited by samepaul

Guest Andreas R.
Im trying this one out now but i get FAILED remote 43 main version check failed

is that suppose to be like that

No, it's not supposed to be. Either, you don't have a Goldcard or the unbrick didn't work. If you tried to unbrick your phone, did you run Universal Androot after rebooting it? (i.e. before running the su-command in the terminal)

Guest Andreas R.
Seems I'm one of those unlucky guys who "killed" his HTC Desire

I prepared goldcard, downloaded and unzipped pack for "bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x".

Copied update.zip to SD, however it wasn't empty - HTC created backups while I was busy downloading. Maybe this caused the nightmare...

Anyway, I turned HTC off, then on with "back" pressed. Then I connected phone to PC. "FASTBOOT" changed to "FASTBOOT USB".

I started step1-windows.bat. The following has appeared

Could it be, that you have a new Desire with a SLCD? Don't know how to find it you (since you can't see anything now), but if that's the case there are some instructions how to get it back to work "blindly". If that's your problem, have fun: :huh:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=750852

P.S. This looks more suitable for SLCD users to root their phones: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748618

Guest 87racer

In the US USCC is getting the HTC Desire tomorrow. USCC's network and the Desire are cdma. I have never had a android phone and am unsure of whether or not the rooting process is specific to cdma/gsm as I know flashing roms to windows mobile devices requires specific roms based on whether your device is cdma or gsm. Basically, will this process work on a cdma HTC Desire or will it break the device?

Guest f0urier

Hi

I have been trying to figure out the logic behind all the different rooting / flashing guides. I have (as far as I can see) an unbranded HTC Desire. Got it back in June this year so I'm quite sure its a AMOLED display.

Software info:

Firmware: 2.1-update1

Baseband: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

Kernel: 2.6.29-97da29ed

Build: 1.15.405.4 CL155070

Bootloader: 0.75xxx

Questions:

1. From what I can figure out thus far, it doesnt seem like I would need to use a goldcard to root? It this correct?

2. We use WCDMA in South Africa, would I need to flash any radio updates to get proper GSM / WCDMA functionality.

Guest samepaul
Could it be, that you have a new Desire with a SLCD? Don't know how to find it you (since you can't see anything now), but if that's the case there are some instructions how to get it back to work "blindly". If that's your problem, have fun: :(

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=750852

P.S. This looks more suitable for SLCD users to root their phones: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748618

man, thanks a lot for reply. You are right, when I returned my phone to the lab, I was said that my phone probably has "known problem". Guys there gonna fix it. I hope. Maybe even charge free. :huh:

Anyway, the information looks useful. I'll keep it for future ... just in case ;)

Guest mancman

Hi,

I tried rooting my phone, but it appears I have hit a problem, when the rom upgraded and i was ready to pull the usb cable out, the screen just went black!

strangely i can switch the phone on and it vibrates, but nothing comes on, i cannot hard reset it nor hold the volume button down and switch it back on.

I reckon it might be something to do with the USB staying in disk drive or something like that or the memory card (sandisk 512mb) i think it is a couple of years old.

anyway does anyone have any ideas on how to change the usb settings, or if anyone has come across this problem with a solution.

any help would be greatly appreciated as on tuesday HTC are coming to pick the phone up and take it away for diagnosis, probably weeks :P

Many thanks

Paul

Guest Chastity

Hello. From what I've seen, unbranded devices (Desire) sold in Greece have OS version 2.1 and a HBOOT greater than 1 and not eg 0.8 or 0.75. Is this guide suitable for these devices? Does it matter if I update to Froyo before rooting? Do I need to make a GoldCard if my Desire is unbranded? How about unrevoked3 rooting solution?

regards

Guest ZamRemo

HTC Desire branded Orange owner.

I'm having problems similar to a few others.

When pressing the volume up button and tapping the power button i get message:

E:Can't open /Cache/recovery/command

I move on to the wiping of data,

-- Wiping data...

Formatting Data:...

Formatting Cache:...

Wipe Complete.

Then when i go to Apply sdcard:update.zip

I get the following messages and error:

-- Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update pacakge...

Verifying update package...

Installation aborted.

Need some tips guys,

Ta,

Maz

Hi,

I have some problems with the rooting.

I had installed LeeDroid 1.9a, but I often had reboots. So I tried to install a new image, but I got reboot loops, when trying to get in the recovery mode, after pressing recovery in hboot 0.80.

So I made a new goldcard and did the r6-desire-root-alt step1 without a problem. But after pressing bootloader and recovery, the desire gets a bootloop again.

I cant boot into the rom, its just looping the "android" sign.

Any Idea?

Thx

Christian