14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Jimmy di Griz

Great work Paul! I just can't wait to use market enabler and app2sd:).

Could you tell what languages that rooted ROM contains? I'm interested in Polish/Polski version. English version is fine but I'd prefer to stay with my native language interface and dictionaries.

Again, thank you for your great efforts.

Guest Chrizs
@Chrizs

open the terminal and type in the commands manually, worked perfect for me

is there a way to create a ext3 partition on the SD with windows or mac?

are there more commands? i only used that one (manually)

buut it goes back to the normal command line after password

Guest twistywizard
@Chrizs

open the terminal and type in the commands manually, worked perfect for me

is there a way to create a ext3 partition on the SD with windows or mac?

No. Either use gparted Live CD or the easiest way is put the sd in the phone and boot into recovery mode and there is an option there to create the SD card.

Guest NewDesireUser

Great ! Well done Paul.

I am new to Android. A few (basic?) questions to the other experts on the forum (imagine Paul is still busy with his Desire :huh: ):

- If I root the phone do I get problems with download of future automatic updates from HTC ?

- If I root the phone do I get the standard HTC ROM (understood this is the case) without any limitations wrt standard ROM (still access market, etc) ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Guest twistywizard
Please could you explain me how to install app2sd. I created ext3 filesystem, and then go to recovery menu, and than what?

What to choose next?

If you go to the first page of this thread second post download the program in ZIP format. Now put this on an SD card as you did with rootupdate. Now follow the steps to get into recovery mode and flash not the rootupdate but the app2sd program. Thats it. If you have made the card correctly it should be up and running.

Edited by twistywizard

Guest mieszkovsky

Hi, everything is done to red tringle step, I can see it, then I connect phone to macbook and nothing happens

It looks like my mac cant see htc

can somebody help

Guest dreamdealer

please explain in better detail, i know your busy tonight been a god and all that but I was bought up on the cyanogen roms, and the size of this zip is a little small to be what i am used too. already gparted my class 6 sdcard just waiting for a better explanation.

my bad.. should read other post.. ooops.

Edited by Paul

Guest RexMundo

Hi

Just joined. Thanks for everything so far!

I thought I'd add my two pence. I just rooted mine.

a) If struggling with creating Live disks.. get "unetbootin" . (google it). Its a great little app that can create a live USB for many distributions automatically. (just make sure your PC can boot from Linux).

:huh: You dont need a big linux live distro @ 100's of MB. "Parted Magic" or Slitaz will do fine and they are small. (great at also resetting your passwords but thats another story!)

c) Live distros like Parted Magic usually log you on as root. You just need to open and terminal, navigate to unzipped folder and run the command (dont forget "./" at the beginning if you havent edited your path). You shouldnt need drivers etc. The script does it all.

d) Latest HTC drivers support 64 bit windows 7. I followed a goldcardguide from ulockr and it really confused the hell out of me with the drivers. No need to follow some round about way. Get latest HTC Sync (.33 I think) and it'll be fine.

Great work!!

Guest twistywizard
another thing guys, is superuser permissions supposed to be just a blank screen?

Bill

I believe it is mate! It is only called upon when an App asks for root permissions or permissions of somesort. It will chuck up a prompt. As an example go to the Market place and download t.i backup. When you run it, it will say do you want to give this program permission. Say yes. Now go back to the Permissions icon and click you will see the program entry there. However the App will NOT work. As per Pauls description on the first page.

Guest RexMundo
Hi, everything is done to red tringle step, I can see it, then I connect phone to macbook and nothing happens

It looks like my mac cant see htc

can somebody help

When I did it on Linux, nothing happened either. It didnt even appear as an unmounted drive or anything.

But running the script still worked and ADB could see it.

Guest magicpie1980
I believe it is mate! It is only called upon when an App asks for root permissions or permissions of somesort. It will chuck up a prompt. As an example go to the Market place and download t.i backup. When you run it, it will say do you want to give this program permission. Say yes. Now go back to the Permissions icon and click you will see the program entry there. However the App will NOT work. As per Pauls description on the first page.

Thanks Twisty;)

Guest maati
Did you solve the device not found issue. I am getting it too...

No. I'm always getting "device not found".

EDIT: Crazy... just when I posted this, it actually worked under openSUSE. Had to unplug and replug the device several times and suddenly it worked.

Edited by maati

Guest mrshark

i'll repeat, hoping in a response...

1) can we use a spare sd as goldcard, and after rooting, changing it with a more capable one, or goldcard MUST remain in slot for root to continue to work?

2) after rooting, can we (and how?) restore settings backupped in some way (again, how?)...

3) what languages are included in rooted rom? How to eventually add new ones, especially dictionaries?

and add:

4) we need to refuse any future On The Air update proposed by htc, right?

5) how much space assign to sd partition dedicated to be the app2sd repository?

6) is swap partition needed?

7) all of these are primary partitions, right? in which order must we create them?

8) swap 64mb, app2sd ext2 1gb, remaining fat32, right?

Edited by mrshark

Guest waterc00l

two questions too :huh:

1. installed the radio rom upgrade.. but what does this change or what is the difference to the stock radio rom?

2. the ext3 partition i do @ sd is for the apps i will save in the future? Do i have to do the partition on the goldcard or the sd i'll use in the future @phone

Edited by waterc00l

Guest invisiblewl

If i have windows 7, how i can

update from pushfiles ? i try but this not work...

please help me....

Edited by invisiblewl

Guest seaders

thanks for these Paul, but would you be able to give even minor steps as to how we apply these? I tried running the recovery-linux.sh again, but it just hangs there, with no movement at all.

can anyone help as to how we're supposed to go through this?

Guest nilezon
Worked great for me, signed up for ad-free to support the work.

Wireless tether and titanium back up both working fine

Couldn't get wireless tether to work properly. What version are you using?

two questions too :huh:

1. installed the radio rom upgrade.. but what does this change or what is the difference to the stock radio rom?

2. the ext3 partition i do @ sd is for the apps i will save in the future? Do i have to do the partition on the goldcard or the sd i'll use in the future @phone

1. Just more stability, reception and stuff like that hopefully! :P

2. Partition on the one you're going to use.

P

If i have windows 7, how i can

update from pushfiles ? i try but this not work...

please help me....

That step has to be done from Windows or OSX as detailed.

P

Yeah, I'm using it fine here! I generally always try and use the latest radio.

P

Hey Paul.

Please help. I rooted the phone fine and then I flashed the radio instead of APSD and now my phone is network locked. I am on orange uk.

please please help

thanks.