14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Borok34

hey Paul, nice work getting this thing rooted and all!

do you think it will be possible sometime to root those desires coming from o2 with HBOOT 0.80?

Guest nekromantik
everything works great, even i had no idea about linux before. Just stay calm and read the instructions / google around.

I think i have one last question:

I did a 512 MB ext2 partition, works great, but now i'd like to have 1 GB instead. Is there a way to extend this partition without loosing all my data @ sd? cause i have installed some apps already.

I have no linux computer here, only windows and osx.

under windows you can use paragon partition manager which supports ext2 and ext3 but I am not sure how reliable it is.

Just use a linux VM and gparted to do it.

Thats how I resized my current 8gb SD fat32 to 5.97 and then rest is for ext2

Guest haruryu

Hi Paul and other MoDaCo users!

I use the live cd of ubuntu to start recovery-linux.sh because i use Windows (yeah i know i should start to learn linux)

is it correct that i cannot start the recovery because it is live cd?

desire now has the display with the red triangle.

am i doing something wrong?

when i start recovery linux sh , i start as: Run in Terminal.

correct?

thanks in advance!

Guest Nsonic101
A2SD working correctly! Yay!

# cd data/app

cd data/app

# pwd

pwd

/system/sd/app

#

Can you please explain a2sd installation simply step by step...I did the root without problem, but I cannot install this from my Mac. I managed to send the unzipped files from computer to Desire, but then there is no option to install it from the zip file....Please can somebody write it down step by step...thanks very much

Guest AndyCr15

I use the live cd of ubuntu to start recovery-linux.sh because i use Windows (yeah i know i should start to learn linux)

correct?

thanks in advance!

Yep, run it in terminal. You might need to do this though -

./adb-linux kill-server

sudo ./adb-linux start-server

sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

Guest haruryu

correct?

thanks in advance!

Nevermind! Got it!!! :huh: hehe

Thank you all!

Edited by haruryu

Guest Sashimi

Thx very much Paul, this is brilliant.

Nevertheless, I really think people with deep knowledge of android / rooting process should make an extensive tutorial & FAQ pretty quickly, or a whole bunch of newcomers are going to end up seriously screwing up there brand new phone.

I'll surely be rooting my non-branded htc desire, but as i'm new to android, i really want to understand the stuff (fastboot ? hboot ? the bootloader process) and not simply blindly follow a couple of cryptic instructions.

Hope you find a way round the security measures and manage to get full root R/W access to everything :huh:

Thank you again

Cheers

Guest snear
I'm looking into building a 'damn small linux' ISO (50MB) with all the rooting files built in... should make the process a lot easier!

P

That would be cool for us Linux noobs!

Only running windows,no osx here .

A full noobs guide for windows users would be cool.

Guest afiorillo
Can you please explain a2sd installation simply step by step...I did the root without problem, but I cannot install this from my Mac. I managed to send the unzipped files from computer to Desire, but then there is no option to install it from the zip file....Please can somebody write it down step by step...thanks very much

Look here. :huh:

Guest qwertyux
Getting really annoyed right now...for some reason I can't even get the phone seen as a device when running 'adb devices' from the command prompt (showing as no devices found). Run through step by step using these instructions and the ones on theunlockr site too. No joy. Winding me up a treat as I can connect as mass storage fine, but can't even sync etc through HTC Sync (tried latest version off the web site and 2.0.28). Everytime I connect and select HTC Sync on the phone, Vista comes up with My HTC as failed but all others are listed as installed fine?

Anyone got any ideas?

You have some problem with your drivers. It might not have been installed properly.

1. Uninstall the HTC Driver first. On your computer, click Start > Programs > HTC > HTC Driver > Uninstall Driver and follow the onscreen instructions.

2. Uninstall HTC Sync. Click Start > Programs > HTC > Uninstall HTC Sync and follow the onscreen instructions.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Reinstall HTC Sync.

5. Connect your phone to your computer with the USB cable, and then set up HTC Sync again to recognize your phone. Follow the steps in this topic: Setting Up HTC Sync to Recognize Your Phone.

6. Set up HTC Sync again to synchronize. Follow the steps in this topic: Setting Up Synchronization.

Guest afiorillo
[...]

Under Locale is see Nederlands, English, Francais and Deutsch

I think there's something related to the SIM card inserted into the phone, since I see:

• English
  • Italiano
  • Français
  • Deutsch

Guest waterc00l

just a side question:

now we have root (but not access to all files?) is there a way to uninstall some stock applications i dont use or like (f.e. Peep, Footprints, Flickr)?

Guest AndyCr15
I'm pretty confident a root completely from Windows will never be possible using this method.

To be fair, I have zero Linux experience and I can do it... It's a bit of a pain, but if you make the special ISO, that'd be cool and makes it easy enough.

Any news on the Cyanogen ROM for Desire? It has Sense UI on it still, right?

Guest rveupen

correct?

thanks in advance!

What you should do:

Download HTC Sync and Unbuntu Live CD 9.10 32Bit (burn the iso to a cd..do this before you start)

Windows part: (Make sure you have installed the HTC Sync software first)

Create your Goldcard on a MicroSD card and copy rootedupdate.zip to that card

Turn you Desire off and insert that card. Turn it on holding the Back button down.

Connect you Desire with the usb cable to your computer and then run test testruu.exe

Linux part: (Make sure you have the pushfiles.zip unpacked somewhere) I used a usb stick that gets mounted

For this step you can use a notebook if you have one or your own pc. Ubuntu Live CD has the option of booting from the cd without touching your harddrives.

Insert the USB stick with the unpacked Pushfiles folder into you pc or a notebook and boot your pc (or a notebook) with the Ubuntu Live CD.

Once start make sure you see the USB stick by clicking on Places and then on the USB stick under Computer. I named my usb stick Bootable

Then go to Applications / Accessoires and click on Terminal. This will open a Terminal screen.

Change the working folder to your usb stick. For me it was cd /media/Bootable (remember Linux is case sensitive)

Now turn on the Desire while holding down the Volume Down button. It should say HBOOT.

With the Volume Up and Down buttons go to Recovery and press the power button to start the Recovery mode. Now you should have the Red Triangle screen.

Now in the Terminal screen type: sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

You Desire should change to a a display with options in green.

With the Optical trackball select Wipe and press the Optical Trackball to select. Goto Wipe Data / Factory Reset and again press the Optical Trackball to select.

Go up one directory and Select Flash zip from sdcard and select the rootedupdate.zip file with the Optical Trackball.

Once done selct to Reboot the device.

All thanks go to Paul for this. I did not in anyway think this up...just worked it out a bit more.

Edited by rveupen

Guest slaguru
You have some problem with your drivers. It might not have been installed properly.

1. Uninstall the HTC Driver first. On your computer, click Start > Programs > HTC > HTC Driver > Uninstall Driver and follow the onscreen instructions.

2. Uninstall HTC Sync. Click Start > Programs > HTC > Uninstall HTC Sync and follow the onscreen instructions.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Reinstall HTC Sync.

5. Connect your phone to your computer with the USB cable, and then set up HTC Sync again to recognize your phone. Follow the steps in this topic: Setting Up HTC Sync to Recognize Your Phone.

6. Set up HTC Sync again to synchronize. Follow the steps in this topic: Setting Up Synchronization.

Check your cable as well. for some reason mine worked with one and not with another ?????

But the drivers are mainly the problem, updating sync is 99% the issue, so you should be good to go. On Win7 look at installing the new Sync with Admin rights as well, incase you are running into permission errors.

Guest tocophonic

Repeating my question from yesterday as it's still not been answered yet:

Tether, adfree android et al don't need system write access. In fact, nothing does.

This ROM includes Sense of course.

If you can get hold of a standard RUU for your operator, you can flash back to stock, if not you can easily flash back to generic stock.

P

How can you "easily flash back to generic stock" ROM? You mentioned that currently the devices ROM is not backup-able, so where should one get the stock ROM?

ty in advance!

toco

Guest vinc78

Hey,

First, Paul thanks for you job!

Maybe you can try "toutou linux" a very light version of linux, and very easy to install on a USB stick, using UNetbootin.

I also have a question, what is the radio update, what is it for?

Can I use me rooted phone without it ?

Thx.

(Sorry for my poor english...) :huh: