14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ph0rce

Read all the topic with interest, hoping to be doing this today, just got one question;

I understand that by flashing the phone I will lose all the data on it, however if the phone is currently setup to back up my data to the SD card, does that mean I won't lose my messages, etc completely & when I put the SD card back in once I've flashed the phone, everything will still be there?

Guest gregDT
Can you please explain a2sd installation simply step by step...I did the root without problem, but I cannot install this from my Mac. I managed to send the unzipped files from computer to Desire, but then there is no option to install it from the zip file....Please can somebody write it down step by step...thanks very much

You need to apply the a2sd update in the same way you did the original root process.

Copy the a2sd file to the root of your SD gold card i.e. don't put it in a folder.

Boot the phone back to the big red triangle

Plug it into your linux/mac OS

run recovery=xxx.sh (linuc or mac)

The phones screen will change and you can now complete the process from the phone using the trackball to move around the various options

Probably best to do another wipe and then flash from zip card.

The thing to remember is that you cannot run this stuff directly from the phone. For example the Amon Ra 1.6.2 recovery could be run directly from the HTC Hero phone itself. You didn't need to connect the phone to a PC other than to drop a new ROM etc. on the SD card. This system needs to to run the process from a Linux/Mac PC. You're effectively doing the same thing as we did with Amon Ra's 1.6.2 recovery but thanks to the nice people at HTC we have to jump through many more hoops.

Once the a2sd is installed you will not be able to run it as an application. It has no icon or widget. However from now on you apps will install to the SD card and not the internal memory

Edited by gregDT

hi Paul,

I1ve juste tried your root process, and then... well... it worked, but as my linux box is an ubuntu one, i wanted to let a feed back.

So here's the big deal, when in hboot, after launching recovery, i had to restart the desire plenty of time in hboot to process the recovery several time as the device froze about 6 time. but it finally worked. i logged many thing on the linux box as what was going through usb.

if you want more specific info juste let me know...

The good news is that it actually worked...

Thank's

Guest salahag
Arabic fonts update zip makes some apps fail to start

Yes tried and same happened with me. It specifically happened when I tried to open the Market for the first time, it kept crashing and restarting endlessly. since no one complained about that I did a fresh install without Arabic fonts update and it worked.

I also noticed that with the Arabic fonts installed, the Flash screen doesn't show the "Silently Brillient" under the HTC logo, and doesn't play the intro sound. The screen shows HTC logo for a few seconds, then goes black until the OS finishes loading.

Guest flamethrower

well I am having problems and would appreciate some help..

done the goldcard, done all the windows related steps... but when I try the linux part i continually get errors!

dave@davespc:/media/USB/pushfiles/pushfiles$ sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

push: files/etc/mtab -> /etc/mtab

push: files/etc/fstab -> /etc/fstab

push: files/sbin/wipe -> /sbin/wipe

push: files/sbin/unyaffs -> /sbin/unyaffs

error: device not found

^ this is where i get to each and every time.. the red icon on the phone stays red and does not turn green :huh:

have tried different USB port, different cable?

I have seen mention of an SDK that needs to be installed in linux?

would appreciate any help !

Guest sparklehedgehog

god this goldcard thing is winding me up!

i've tried for nearly 8 hours various different ways of doing it and using different string reversals (including the replacement of the 2 zeros at the beginning etc), usng the hex editor from the first line to the 170 line copy and paste etc but yet my card still demands a format everytime i plug it back in to the pc after saving. i've tried both links here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/general-...ing-a-goldcard/

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to-create-a-goldcard/

and used two different SD cards, one kingston 4gb, one sandisk 8gb (dont worry i regenerated the new cid number in the cmd prompt using the adb thingy with each card and generated seperate goldcard images through the website but still neither has worked). please advise as to why, it's doing my head in! i am right in thinking it shouldn't ask for a format when i reinsert the sd card thats been goldcarded back into my pc arent i?!

p.s. i'm not a complete donkey normally when it comes to flashing roms or rooting normally so am completely stumped here.

Guest Nsonic101
Look here. :huh:

I did... but the problem is that:

-put in the goldcard with the signed apps2sd zip (this is important, cant install if the apps2sd zip isnt on the goldcard) - OK I did it

-Go into recovery via linux (./recovery-linux.sh) - OK I did it via Mac OSX (recovery-mac.sh)

-install the apps2sd from zip - not sure as some files are copied from computer to the device and I don't know if any additional installation is needed

-power off - OK I did it

-put in the sdcard you want to use for apps2sd - OK I did it

-go into recovery via linux (./recovery-linux.sh) - OK I did it via Mac

-click partition sd card - I did the partiton

-enter the sizes you want to use - OK

-boot - OK

but at the end there is no app2sd working... strange....I'm not sure if the transfer from Mac was correct as I cannot do install app2sd from zip as the zip file is not in the options in the recovery...

So I managed to send the files from Mac to the device. Then in the recovery I chose to install the zip file, but following error occures:

Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:No signature (53 files)

E:Verification failed

Installation aborted

can you please help me with this? Many thanks

Edited by Nsonic101

Guest nimanic

Dear all,

i have an Desire with german T-Mobile brand.

Paul, this How to is realy fine and the result is excellent.

Import in the how to is, that you put your mobile in recovery FIRST and than connect it to the Linux PC. I connected it already bevor and it stays with the red triangle.

A2SD is also working perfekt :-)

Thanks a lot, that is worth a Modaco plus ;-)

P.S.: is it possible to disable or delete the bootup sound?

Edited by nimanic

Guest nimanic
I did... but the problem is that:

-put in the goldcard with the signed apps2sd zip (this is important, cant install if the apps2sd zip isnt on the goldcard) - OK I did it

-Go into recovery via linux (./recovery-linux.sh) - OK I did it via Mac OSX (recovery-mac.sh)

-install the apps2sd from zip - not sure as some files are copied from computer to the device and I don't know if any additional installation is needed

-power off - OK I did it

-put in the sdcard you want to use for apps2sd - OK I did it

-go into recovery via linux (./recovery-linux.sh) - OK I did it via Mac

-click partition sd card - I did the partiton

-enter the sizes you want to use - OK

-boot - OK

but at the end there is no app2sd working... strange....I'm not sure if the transfer from Mac was correct as I cannot do install app2sd from zip as the zip file is not in the options in the recovery...

Hi, i used my SD card which was still partioned from the Modaco on the Hero and it was/is working fine.

When doing the A2SD for the Hero i did it with gpartet. I think that this is the easier way if you are not sure.

Format it as ext3 and it should work.

Edited by nimanic

Guest haruryu
What you should do:

Download HTC Sync and Unbuntu Live CD 9.10 32Bit (burn the iso to a cd..do this before you start)

Windows part: (Make sure you have installed the HTC Sync software first)

Create your Goldcard on a MicroSD card and copy rootedupdate.zip to that card

Turn you Desire off and insert that card. Turn it on holding the Back button down.

Connect you Desire with the usb cable to your computer and then run test testruu.exe

Linux part: (Make sure you have the pushfiles.zip unpacked somewhere) I used a usb stick that gets mounted

For this step you can use a notebook if you have one or your own pc. Ubuntu Live CD has the option of booting from the cd without touching your harddrives.

Insert the USB stick with the unpacked Pushfiles folder into you pc or a notebook and boot your pc (or a notebook) with the Ubuntu Live CD.

Once start make sure you see the USB stick by clicking on Places and then on the USB stick under Computer. I named my usb stick Bootable

Then go to Applications / Accessoires and click on Terminal. This will open a Terminal screen.

Change the working folder to your usb stick. For me it was cd /media/Bootable (remember Linux is case sensitive)

All thanks go to Paul for this. I did not in anyway think this up...just worked it out a bit more.

Thanks,,, got that already :huh: thank you for your time!

Guest sparklehedgehog

i've tried for nearly 8 hours various different ways of doing it and using different string reversals (including the replacement of the 2 zeros at the beginning etc), usng the hex editor from the first line to the 170 line copy and paste etc but yet my card still demands a format everytime i plug it back in to the pc after saving. i've tried both links here:

and used two different SD cards, one kingston 4gb, one sandisk 8gb (dont worry i regenerated the new cid number in the cmd prompt using the adb thingy with each card and generated seperate goldcard images through the website but still neither has worked). please advise as to why, it's doing my head in! i am right in thinking it shouldn't ask for a format when i reinsert the sd card thats been goldcarded back into my pc arent i?!

p.s. i'm not a complete donkey normally when it comes to flashing roms or rooting normally so am completely stumped here.

PLEASE HELP! I'm desperate for some Rooty goodness!

Guest Nsonic101

Can you please help me with following error:

after flashing zip file app2sd I get this:

Install from sdcard...

Installation aborted

Guest seaders
I'm pretty confident a root completely from Windows will never be possible using this method.

P

Hey Paul, I may be over-simplifying things, but is there any other reason than Windows not keeping proper permissions on the files that go over from recovery-xxx.sh? there isn't a possibility of having a script that get's pushed over, made executable, then sets the proper permissions again, on the phone? That way, even if Windows does lose 'em, they'll be 'recreated' on that side, rather than just maintained by the transfer. I don't know

Yes it does. I've just tested it.

Get it here http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/..._tether_2_0.apk

Karolis, have you tested this completely, as in connected another device to your Desire and it all worked? I've just tried to connect my laptop there and it wouldn't work. The app looked like it was working fine, but the lappy wouldn't pick up an IP address at all, it didn't even look like there was a DHCP server there at all and a Bluetooth service search didn't turn up the PAN profile that it was supposed to open either. Did both of these work for you?

Guest FenriZ

Is it possible to make an SD-Card already partitioned with FAT32/ext3 forA2SD and filled with data into a goldcard (of course backup before)? Or do you need an empty card? Or do you need a FAT32-only card?

Guest afiorillo
[...]

[...]

I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to when you say "some files are copied from computer to the device". However, you only need to copy the a2sd ZIP file, along with rootedupdate.zip, into the root directory (folder) of the MicroSD Goldcard; once you'll be in the Recovery mode (pushed into the device by the *NIX shell script), you'll see them both as options for flashing.

[...] So I managed to send the files from Mac to the device. Then in the recovery I chose to install the zip file, but following error occures: [...]

Again, not sure about that since I'm not a Mac user; but if "send the files" means to you barely "copy/paste" them, then you'll safe.

Please note that the Recovery "pushed" console has an option to activate and deactivate the USB host functionality for the installed MicroSD card: so it'll be a snap to move or copy files from and to the memory card, even while in Recovery mode.

As a side note, I suggest doing the Goldgard build steps using a real memory card reader, rather than using the Desire with the USB host option turned on.

Guest smilys
Awesome, just rooted a Desire entirely from TinyCoreLinux. Makes the process a lot more user friendly! :-D

P

Hope you can share it soon. I hope to root after work today :huh:

Guest Nsonic101
I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to when you say "some files are copied from computer to the device". However, you only need to copy the a2sd ZIP file, along with rootedupdate.zip, into the root directory (folder) of the MicroSD Goldcard; once you'll be in the Recovery mode (pushed into the device by the *NIX shell script), you'll see them both as options for flashing.

Again, not sure about that since I'm not a Mac user; but if "send the files" means to you barely "copy/paste" them, then you'll safe.

Please note that the Recovery "pushed" console has an option to activate and deactivate the USB host functionality for the installed MicroSD card: so it'll be a snap to move or copy files from and to the memory card, even while in Recovery mode.

As a side note, I suggest doing the Goldgard build steps using a real memory card reader, rather than using the Desire with the USB host option turned on.

I finally managed to do everything. But when trying to flash app2sd from the zip file I'm getting this error:

Install from sdcard...

Installation aborted

Guest sparklehedgehog

PLEASE PEOPLE, you're all making me jealous!

Guest afiorillo
I finally managed to do everything. But when trying to flash app2sd from the zip file I'm getting this error:

Install from sdcard...

Installation aborted

Make sure you've rootedupdate.zip on the Goldcard as well, re-enter Recovery mode via sh and re-flash it; then, without rebooting, re-flash a2sd and finally reboot. That's the way I did it. :huh:

Guest sparklehedgehog

i keep trying but both gold cards i try and make are needing formatting when i save the changes in HxD. why is this? is that supposed to happen?

Guest afiorillo

Are you using a real USB card reader?

Are you sure you properly select things in the hex editor? You'll have to select the hexadecimal numbers in the center column, not the far right characters, nor the offsets on the left.

Guest Nsonic101
Make sure you've rootedupdate.zip on the Goldcard as well, re-enter Recovery mode via sh and re-flash it; then, without rebooting, re-flash a2sd and finally reboot. That's the way I did it. :huh:

I did the complete root again including rootupdate and factory wipe, then I tried again and I have the same error with verification problem of app2sd zip...