14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mrshark
i've installed ubuntu in VirtualBox on my W7 PC (root is already done).

when i plug in my phone and use gparted, i can't see any partitons on my sd.. is that a normal behaviour? Everything is ok with my partitions i think, just want to extend the ext3 a bit

it seems i have only access to the fat32 partition @ virtualbox?

many have already said to NOT use virtualbox for this, as it does not work right pass-throughing usb to virtual machine... use a linux live cd

Guest theboxman

Ok so I understand the Orange UK simlock problem can be circumvented by performing the entire procedure again....

Any chance anyone could aid me with the other points in my post above on this page or on page 13?....I've read most of the thread....it's so long it's giving me a dyslexic headache.....and I'd still like clarification.

Thanks all!

Guest afiorillo
[...]

Karolis, have you tested this completely, as in connected another device to your Desire and it all worked? I've just tried to connect my laptop there and it wouldn't work. The app looked like it was working fine, but the lappy wouldn't pick up an IP address at all, it didn't even look like there was a DHCP server there at all and a Bluetooth service search didn't turn up the PAN profile that it was supposed to open either. Did both of these work for you?

Same here: it doesn't work.

Guest chrisfloyd1982

Hay can anyone help when i click on either the Download or Mirror link for the `test ruu` it just sends me to www.modaco.com is there another download source if there isnt would someone provide it as a torrent or by some other means. Desperately want to root my device

Guest Pyr0x64

Thank you for all your hard work Paul

I sucessfully rooted my phone, updated the radio and installed ap2sd late last night :P

i'll be signing up for a sub when i get home tonight :blink:

was wondering though, has anyone had any problems with bluetooth since rooting?

today i found i am unable to pair it with my jabra bt3030 :huh:

the phone just does not see the headset anymore

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest afiorillo
Hay can anyone help when i click on either the Download or Mirror link for the `test ruu` it just sends me to www.modaco.com is there another download source if there isnt would someone provide it as a torrent or by some other means. Desperately want to root my device

Are you behind some kind of firewall/proxy? I had the same issue yesterday from my work place, solved once reached home.

Guest afiorillo
[...] was wondering though, has anyone had any problems with bluetooth since rooting?

today i found i am unable to pair my jabra bt3030 anymore :huh:

the phone just does not see them anymore

No probs here (Sony Ericsson MW-600 stereo headset).

Guest SiX-P4cK
LOL, I would have gone to bed at 11.30pm instead of 2 am if I knew this was going to be ready. Then again so would everyone else. Still, I did learn a lot, or was it read a lot.

It's just one idea for the moment...

Nobody expected something about that.

Guest Pyr0x64
No probs here (Sony Ericsson MW-600 stereo headset).

hmm, not sure what's wrong then...

i scan for devices in the bluetooth settings, but it doesn't see the headset :huh:

[EDIT] Solved, had to put the headset into discoverable mode - Doh! lol

Edited by Pyr0x64

Can you be more specific as to what the problem is? From your tweets I'm suspecting it might be getting execute access on /system/bin/sh?

When pushing files over ADB from Windows they lose their execute bit, unlike from OSX / Linux. This is required.

P

Guest ssarl
When pushing files over ADB from Windows they lose their execute bit, unlike from OSX / Linux. This is required.

P

You can't chmod files after you push them to device (with adb chmod a+x file for example)?

Guest Biliskner

Hi guys, got a bit of a pickle. Everything went fine. Then I tried the A2SD.zip.

It rebooted and everything went well (after A2SD). But then I swapped from my 4gb goldcard to just the normal 8gb that i have and rebooted. It kept looping at "quietly brilliant". I went to my linux box and recovery-linux.sh and partitioned my mSD card, formatted and made 2 partitions. But it just kept looking at "quietly brilliant". Now I can't get it to recognize in linux at all. I'm currently on my Win7 machine trying to testruu it but even that is stuck (it said something like flashing from [img: ERROR?] to [img: 1.55xxx] It's been sitting here for 10mins - the first time it completed in 7 mins, so I think A2SD stuffed up something on my phone (everything in / out (sdcard/sim)) just loops "quietly brilliant". Tried commands in Linux for recovery.sh but getting "device not found" ? Weird. All i wanted was A2SD but it seems like that has stuffed everything up! Not sure what to do (give me Linux command lines to try and diagnose - I can follow it easy - but am unfamiliar with the android SDK pack).

Guest sucramco
It's just one idea for the moment...

Nobody expected something about that.

I know, just having a bit of a laugh. I am not fussed at all, it is best to do it the hard way otherwise what do you learn?

Guest Nsonic101
@All

@Nsonic101

your goldcard is not working.

BR

phlo

you were right! that was the problem. I did the gold card again, re-flashed everything and now it's working...thanks very much..

Guest impazzito

P

A simple question:

may i make a gold card with my 4gb card, flash your rooted rom, and then reinsert my 8gb card when my root proces is finished?

Thanks

Guest Biliskner

Not sure if this helps guys (if any of you can help with my looping problem), but when i switch from fastboot to hboot it scans something and flashes up something or rather. I can't quite catch it, but it says "wrong or invalid image" ? Does that mean i need to reflash? Or am I thinking, "brick?"

Guest flamethrower

ok got mine rooted now :huh:

can anyone offer some advice on what to do next? I am going to wait on apps2sd until my new sd card turns up

but is there anything else I could be getting on with? would appreciate any links !

Guest aherbjornsen

That's what I guessed.

This could probably be fixed by altering and recompiling adb for Windows?

Guest Richard Trip
+1

i have also read some one have got titanium backup work, but there always fail the root check

After apps2sd install titanium is working.

Guest nintylinky

All i get is that the phone is rebooting with the HTC incredibly brilliant screen, what is up?

Edited by nintylinky

Guest viskas
Hi guys, got a bit of a pickle. Everything went fine. Then I tried the A2SD.zip.

It rebooted and everything went well (after A2SD). But then I swapped from my 4gb goldcard to just the normal 8gb that i have and rebooted. It kept looping at "quietly brilliant". I went to my linux box and recovery-linux.sh and partitioned my mSD card, formatted and made 2 partitions. But it just kept looking at "quietly brilliant". Now I can't get it to recognize in linux at all. I'm currently on my Win7 machine trying to testruu it but even that is stuck (it said something like flashing from [img: ERROR?] to [img: 1.55xxx] It's been sitting here for 10mins - the first time it completed in 7 mins, so I think A2SD stuffed up something on my phone (everything in / out (sdcard/sim)) just loops "quietly brilliant". Tried commands in Linux for recovery.sh but getting "device not found" ? Weird. All i wanted was A2SD but it seems like that has stuffed everything up! Not sure what to do (give me Linux command lines to try and diagnose - I can follow it easy - but am unfamiliar with the android SDK pack).

Same thing here!!! But if I use the goldcard, everything works fine. If I change card, then phone stucks on quietly brilliant!

PAUL, H E L P!!!

Guest abdalah2004

great i rooted my desire after that i updated to 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 Radio update (from Asia 1.19.707.6 update) , and now i have problem most apps force closing including Internet market, facebook i tried reflashing but didnt work any help please?