14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Patric42
Just to be sure, will this enable me to install "Market Enabler" http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/

So I can finally purchase applications on the market.

I guess no, because you don't have write access to the system partition as soon as the phone booted. Only way to access the system partition is during recovery image boot.

An idea came to my mind, why not use layerfs or similar system to "overmount" the system partition? Paul?

HTH,

Patric

Hi,

First of all, thank for all the great work you've put into rooting the Desire :huh:

Now, some questions (that as far as I've read throughout this thread, haven't been answered)

1) I suppose rooting the device voids its warranty. However, in the case of needing the warranty, is it possible to revert back to the original ROM, as if nothing has been modified, so it can be considered "untouched" and be eligible for warranty?

2) This one's been asked above, but you haven't answered: if *something* were to go wrong during the rooting process (either my mistake or another kind of problem), will I somehow be able to "recover" the device? As in, re-flash it to the original ROM, which would, you know, be working? :P

3) About the goldcard part.. Do I need a separate microSD card or can I use the one I'll actually be using with the phone? (Yes, I'm aware it needs to be 100% wiped, but this is not an issue).

4) The least important one: when doing the "Wipe/Factory reset" step, will it reset the device to the Factory settings, as if I'd have done this the usual way?

Guest BeiiJ ?!

"if not you can easily flash back to generic stock"

I'm completely new to Android and HTC - but exactly how is that done?

Not that I'll ever need it unless Google releases A2SD in a new Android version, and we actually get it on HTC Desire.

Guest ssozonoff

Never mind .... ;-)

Serge

Awsome Paul,

any idea about "insufficient permissions for device" when I try to run recovera-linux.sh ?

Thanks,

Serge

Guest seaders

just to mention, while I had been able to run adb and all that comes with it properly in Ubuntu, running in a Virtualbox, in recovery mode doing this, the adb device came up as nothing other than a whole bunch of ?????s and "no permissions" in the other column, rather than "recovery". I've since located a mac and am on the very last part.

at this point, I'm at "Verifying update package...", how long should that take, it's currently been a good while, already about 10 minutes. should it be taking this long? should anything else be happening at this stage?

Guest ssozonoff

Great Paul,

Worked for me :-)

Next step is to grab a proper BT stack from the N1 since HTC screwed it up on the Desire ... its actually NOT them same bluez version as the N1.

Hence SPP profile NOT working on the Desire. It does work on the Legend but apparently the BT stack on the Legend is still different from the N1 and the Desire .... sigh

Thanks a million,

Serge

Guest Frankish

I waited so long for this and i still can't do it! After dropping my phone in a drink there are 3 broken keys... The down volume key (which is needed lol) and the whole trackpad has given up (which is also needed!) oh and my search key...not so important.

Still works great otherwise. I guess i'll have to try and fix my phone before i can take advantage of this.

Guest Lesleyv

I get stuck with this message @ ubuntu: error: insufficient permissions for device when i try to do ./recovery-linux.sh can someone help please ?

Guest egress

Hi Paul

trying root method on my desire how do I run 'recovery-mac.sh' on mac as I am not that used to using them. Thanks in Advance. Sorry worked it out!

Edited by egress

Guest nilezon
I get stuck with this message @ ubuntu: error: insufficient permissions for device when i try to do ./recovery-linux.sh can someone help please ?

I've got the same :huh:

Guest mmeikelinen

Try sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

Guest Nelsaidi

This sounds great Paul, thanks. Have a few questions though (Desire is my first android device):

- Warranty, Its from TMobile - But, does this void the warranty? I'm asking because I'm hearing that it doesnt and in other places that it does

- What can go wrong - can i damage my phone beyond repair :huh:?

- Will Full Arabic support be possible?

- Gold card - Have an old 1GB sd card, assume thats fine?

- The use of fedora through windows virtual pc - that work? (got my test server sorted out there)

May have more questions since i'm the paranoid type :/

Guest ed.dark
Awsome Paul,

any idea about "insufficient permissions for device" when I try to run recovera-linux.sh ?

Thanks,

Serge

I get this too!!!!! Any clues pse?

Guest Lesleyv

Got the solution:

You must do it as root in terminal, otherwise it's not working. So type adb-linux kill-server and then adb-linux start-server and then do ./recovery-linux.sh it will work :huh:

Guest nilezon
Got the solution:

You must do it as root in terminal, otherwise it's not working. So type adb-linux kill-server and then adb-linux start-server and then do ./recovery-linux.sh it will work :huh:

Well, I'm getting the permission error, but it's not related to su in Linux. I'm not getting to the recovery screen correctly. I'm getting a black screen with a red triangle when choosing RECOVERY :P

EDIT:

My bad!

I needed to kill the server and then restart it as su, and then replug the phone to the computer.

THANKS GUYS!

Edited by nilezon