14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shingers5

been round the phone scene for a while on here and on xda......... havent posted much on here but alot on xda. i must admit pauls guide was spot on and i follwed to the letter. for something that was potentially so difficult he has made it so easy. for that i will contribute as it is warranted. i used windows method .......win7 pc and no errors no hang up no problems whatsoever! thanks man from the core. you are a flipping trooper in rooting world and deserve respect!

Guest kingoffail
Hey @ all

Why is app2SD offline? Is paul working on it to fix the cache problem??

A number of people have suffered aps2SD related brickings. I imagine Paul will put it back online when we know what's going on. Next week sometime?

Guest NutsyUk

Eeeesh bricking?

I have apps2sd installed... and i cant install apps I get an error saying i dont have enough space...

But bricking? Should i uninstall apps2sd? if so How?

Guest waterc00l
Been wanting to see this since 10pm last night!

1272682026.jpg

Thank you for getting me through that last step afiorillo!

One note though, following your guide I stumbled at running the recovery.bat because you didn't say it needed to be in the pushfiles directory :-) (I read nilezons post and realised)

i have gscript too, which script do i need to check this :huh:?

edit: ok, need check.sh to download anywhere

Edited by waterc00l

Guest d_fin
Eeeesh bricking?

I have apps2sd installed... and i cant install apps I get an error saying i dont have enough space...

But bricking? Should i uninstall apps2sd? if so How?

Hi,

Had same issue. This was related to partition process I did with Gparted.

After I used SD partition from recovery menu, everything was working fine.

cu

d_fin

Guest adnan.htc.desire

im not sure, but i wont only to inform, maybe some of you didnt know, here is a very easy way to root your desire.. read this post, i test it out, and it works whitout any problems.. ,) you didnt need a linux os, it works whit out.. after step 10, do it as i wrote it down and continue from step 13 whit amon_ra recovery..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=673277

have fun.. ,)

Edited by adnan.htc.desire

Guest zanshin

Hello everybody,

Root access was a ok. After I installed a2sd s*** hit the fan. My sdcard in seen as removed no matter how offten I reinsert it. (FIXED WITH FASTBOOT).And if I connect my usb cable the phone does not respond to being connected to a pc. Recharging works ok, but no access to the phone anymore. Any help is more than welcome.

Richard

Edited by zanshin

Guest zanshin
Okay, the fastboot commands fixed my SD, but USB is still disabled...

Please don't use any A2SD until we know what's going on...

Same here. Hope this if fixed soon

Guest Odiebla
Same here. Hope this if fixed soon

The SD card issue can be fixed pretty easy (read back 1 page, see the fastboot command), the USB seems to be disabled with a kernel parameter that is harder to fix.

Guest afiorillo

How did you partitioned the SD card? What tool did you use to do it? What instructions did you follow? IMHO we need to put together some stats in order to figure out what's going wrong for some of you.

Guest Kimjor

Create a folder called gscript in the root of the sdcard, and create a file check.sh with this info.

Once in gscript press menu -> add script -> uncheck needs su -> load file

#!/system/bin/sh

if [ -h /data/app ]; then

echo /data/app is a symlink...............OK

if [ -h /data/app-private ]; then

echo /data/app-private is a symlink.......OK

if [ -h /data/dalvik-cache ]; then

echo /data/dalvik-cache is a symlink......OK

echo -e "\nAPPS2SD is working with dalvik-cache!\n"

elif mount|grep dalvik-cache > /dev/null; then

echo /data/dalvik-cache is a bind-mount...OK

else

echo -e "\nAPPS2SD is working without dalvik-cache!\n"

fi

fi

else

echo APPS2SD is NOT working!

fi

exit 0

Guest adventure1001

Hey guy's finnaly got past red triangle bit now when i goto flash from zip i E:can't open /sdcard/rootedupdate.zip

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Guest dreamdealer

is it me or does it seem there was there less problems, with the old way of getting to the recovery menu. maybe we should have both guides for rooting, i mean even with a2sd how can you brick the phone, you just drop to the recovery menu again using the same method as instructed and re flash the rootedupdate.zip again and your phone works again.

Edited by dreamdealer

Guest Jimmy di Griz

Ufff, done it with TCL method after second try (just root without a2sd or radio). I had two problems:

1) mount command didn't work (disk not found) - because I have two DVD drives and TCL distro has only one. Solution - detach IDE cable on one drive or boot linux from the other CD

2) mount on sdcard in step 2 failed and rootupdate.zip was not copied. So I have copied file to SD manualy and in second try, option to apply update was available.

Maybe it will be usefull for others.

Guest theboxman

Hmmmm.

Issues with Apps2SD......now that I don't like to hear.

Has this been associated with just one method of rooting or with both?

Are all users affected? it seems it's only a subset? What do they all have in common?

@those affected:

What opperator did you get your handset from? Which locale are you in? Which set of instructions to root the phone did you follow? *tries to think of anything else that might be relevant*

Am I right in thinking I can do the initial part of the rooting and simply miss out the radio update and A2SD for now? and if the culprit in the USB not working issue turns out to be related to the flashing method used simply repeat the flashing from the begining as a fix?

Guest ascito

Rooted and Radio updated succesfully. Only one thing: I still have to use MoreLocale2, since my device has only English and Franch. I hoped rooting could solve it...but it didn't. How does it come?

Guest blackfox888
Create a folder called gscript in the root of the sdcard, and create a file check.sh with this info.

Once in gscript press menu -> add script -> uncheck needs su -> load file

#!/system/bin/sh

if [ -h /data/app ]; then

echo /data/app is a symlink...............OK

if [ -h /data/app-private ]; then

echo /data/app-private is a symlink.......OK

if [ -h /data/dalvik-cache ]; then

echo /data/dalvik-cache is a symlink......OK

elif mount|grep dalvik-cache > /dev/null; then

echo /data/dalvik-cache is a bind-mount...OK

else

echo -e "\nAPPS2SD is working without dalvik-cache!\n"

fi

fi

else

echo APPS2SD is NOT working!

fi

exit 0

sorry to be a noobie, but do you create the file check.sh in notepad with the code info

Guest afiorillo
[...] Are all users affected? it seems it's only a subset? What do they all have in common? [...]

Only a few people suffer of the post-A2SD SD & USB blackout, it's imperative for those guys to share the more infos as they can, it's the only path to a possible solution.

Guest Elemetrix

I found it on a wiki link somewhere:

nevermind, repost

sorry to be a noobie, but do you create the file check.sh in notepad with the code info

Yep, open in notepad and save as check.sh

Edited by Elemetrix

Guest theboxman
Only a few people suffer of the post-A2SD SD & USB blackout, it's imperative for those guys to share the more infos as they can, it's the only path to a possible solution.

Exactly hence my brainstorming questions.

I wonder what these users all have in common....That might give us some idea of who's at risk, what the problem is, and for the clever people who understand these things perhaps how to fixi t.....

@USB problem users:

Is it just USB that's the problem or are network services also not working? wifi? bluetooth? data connection?