14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Jamsi

Hello everybody!

Just registered to the site, so my first post here.

Before I start rooting my phone, I'd like to ask a couple of things...

Firstly, I have a non-branded Desire so I understand it can be rooted without the goldcard?? So basically I only need to download (and burn) that TCL-iso, and nothing else?? All the update files are included in the ISO?

Secondly, how do I do the Radio- or the A2SD-updates without the goldcard?? Do I copy those update files to my normal SD-card and then use the update-procedure...?

Sorry, if the questions (or answers) are obvious, but as a noob, I'm a bit hesitant...

Guest 42turkeys
Hello everybody!

Just registered to the site, so my first post here.

Before I start rooting my phone, I'd like to ask a couple of things...

Firstly, I have a non-branded Desire so I understand it can be rooted without the goldcard?? So basically I only need to download (and burn) that TCL-iso, and nothing else?? All the update files are included in the ISO?

Secondly, how do I do the Radio- or the A2SD-updates without the goldcard?? Do I copy those update files to my normal SD-card and then use the update-procedure...?

Sorry, if the questions (or answers) are obvious, but as a noob, I'm a bit hesitant...

1. You should be able to root without a Goldcard, if not you will get a Custom ID error when doing step1.sh
  2. All the files are on the iso, just burn it & type the commands
  3. To do the radio updates ect. follow the procedure below:
Place whatever you want to flash such as the radio update ect. onto the root of your SD card and repeat step 2 of Paul's root method below:

On your desire, enter fastboot by pressing power & back buttons from bootup.

Then press power then with power to select & volume to go up/down, navigate to where it says 'RECOVERY'.

Then boot the CD with TinyCoreLinux on and type

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/root

sudo ./step2.sh

You should now be in recovery mode. Select 'Install zip from SD Card' and choose your radio update/A2SD zip.

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest Jamsi
  1. You should be able to root without a Goldcard, if not you will get a Custom ID error when doing step1.sh
  2. All the files are on the iso, just burn it & type the commands
  3. To do the radio updates ect. follow the procedure below:
Place whatever you want to flash such as the radio update ect. onto the root of your SD card and repeat step 2 of Paul's root method below:

On your desire, enter fastboot by pressing power & back buttons from bootup.

Then press power then with power to select & volume to go up/down, navigate to where it says 'RECOVERY'.

Then boot the CD with TinyCoreLinux on and type

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/root

sudo ./step2.sh

You should now be in recovery mode. Select 'Install zip from SD Card' and choose your radio update/A2SD zip.

Thanks for your reply.

About the A2SD... .What's the situation with it...is it working correctly or not? There have been quite a few people having problems with it.

Guest 42turkeys
Thanks for your reply.

About the A2SD... .What's the situation with it...is it working correctly or not? There have been quite a few people having problems with it.

I think there's a post somewhere about A2SD but I wouldn't install as there has been way to many problems!

:huh:

Guest 2wheels

I now have a rooted Desire thanks to Paul and his team, and have subscribed for adfree as a gesture of appreciation.

I found the process of making a gold card much easier -thanks to the unlockr video- than rooting the phone, if one was available for rooting I'm sure many people would appreciate it.

Vince

Guest CaspaTheGhost

First off, excellent site and a big thank you to Paul for all his work...

Been reading the site since November which was a couple of months before I got my Hero - which I rooted and whacked on MCR 3.2... Now have a Desire, have debranded it and will be rooting at some point but as I like Sense I'm really hoping for an MCR for it...

Any word whether Paul has one in the works and if so, when its expected to release?

When thats out I'll be rooting and going ad free!

Thanks...

Edited by CaspaTheGhost

Guest Ottoman079

I have followed the instruction to root my desire and it worked like a charm!!! Thx to Paul and MoDaCo!!!! As a sign of appreciation I have subscribed me for the ad free option.

Many Thx

Guest florifliegt1
As a sign of appreciation I have subscribed me for the ad free option.

you mean: MoDaCo Plus

its better. :huh:

and i subscrib if 0.80 rooted...

Guest Ottoman079
you mean: MoDaCo Plus

its better. :P

:huh:

i have 2 more questions:

1. Is there any news on a2sd? The 2 main reasons why I rooted my phone are "PaidAppsEnabler" and "Apps2SD". I see that the link in the second post about a2sd had been removed...

2. This is a completely different problem. I have contacted HTC about this but their response was one of denial and very poor...

I always leave my data connection disabled, this to cut costs, whenever i want to enable my data connection it doesn't do anything and i have to restart my device to make it work. Quiet an annoying problem... i have read on many forums about this problem but no solution is available... maybe someone here can solve this?

Thx in advance!!

Ottoman

Guest Ottoman079

And one more question.... :huh:

i've installed "paid apps enabler" but i get the following error:

missing 'grep', a requiered command! Please install a rooted image with busybox included (or at least with the missing cmd)!

Anyone can help on this?

Thx

Guest theboxman

Grep is a linux terminal command - it seems you're lacking it. Here's a little bit of the manual page on it which tells you a bit about what it does:

GREP(1)						  User Commands						 GREP(1)

NAME

grep, egrep, fgrep, rgrep - print lines matching a pattern

SYNOPSIS

grep [OPTIONS] PATTERN [FILE...]

grep [OPTIONS] [-e PATTERN | -f FILE] [FILE...]

DESCRIPTION

grep  searches the named input FILEs (or standard input if no files are

named, or if a single hyphen-minus (-) is given as file name) for lines

containing  a  match to the given PATTERN.  By default, grep prints the

matching lines.

I don't know how to find it or install it........Might be as simple as finding the file from another device, putting it on the SD card, booting into recovery and transfering it to the correct system folder with abd?...

Probably overly simplistic view of things and should be filed under wild speculation ;-)

Also is paid ap enabler not the same thing as 'market enabler'? I've installed it and it seems to be working fine. Not that I've a tremendous use for it in the UK. ;-)

Edited by theboxman

Guest Ottoman079
Grep is a linux terminal command - it seems you're lacking it. Here's a little bit of the manual page on it which tells you a bit about what it does:

GREP(1)						  User Commands						 GREP(1)

NAME

grep, egrep, fgrep, rgrep - print lines matching a pattern

SYNOPSIS

grep [OPTIONS] PATTERN [FILE...]

grep [OPTIONS] [-e PATTERN | -f FILE] [FILE...]

DESCRIPTION

grep  searches the named input FILEs (or standard input if no files are

named, or if a single hyphen-minus (-) is given as file name) for lines

containing  a  match to the given PATTERN.  By default, grep prints the

matching lines.
I don't know how to find it or install it........Might be as simple as finding the file from another device, putting it on the SD card, booting into recovery and transfering it to the correct system folder with abd?... Probably overly simplistic view of things and should be filed under wild speculation ;-) Also is paid ap enabler not the same thing as 'market enabler'? I've installed it and it seems to be working fine. Not that I've a tremendous use for it in the UK. ;-)
I've solved it by searching this forum. This is what i have done. As I'm completely new to linux please correct me if i did something stupid, but it seem to have done the trick for me... (i use a win7 64bit pc) 1. i have downloaded http://xcyb.org/android/busybox_tun_desire_signed.zip and put it into the root of my sd 2. restart my pc with the ISO image I've burned on a cd, the one you use to root your desire (r3-tinycore_2.10-desireroot.zip) 3. Press enter when prompted to load Linux. When it has loaded, click the little 'monitor' icon at the bottom of the screen to open a terminal window. 4. Turn off your HTC desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer. 5. In the terminal window, enter the following commands:
sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/root
6. on your device go to bootloader and then to recovery 7. in the terminal enter the following commands
sudo ./step2.sh

8. When completed select the option apply an updated zip from SD and select busybox_tun_desire_signed.zip

9. when finished reboot.

And it worked for me... :huh:

Guest Dugh
I've solved it by searching this forum. This is what i have done. As I'm completely new to linux please correct me if i did something stupid, but it seem to have done the trick for me... (i use a win7 64bit pc)

1. i have downloaded http://xcyb.org/android/busybox_tun_desire_signed.zip and put it into the root of my sd

2. restart my pc with the ISO image I've burned on a cd, the one you use to root your desire (r3-tinycore_2.10-desireroot.zip)

3. Press enter when prompted to load Linux. When it has loaded, click the little 'monitor' icon at the bottom of the screen to open a terminal window.

4. Turn off your HTC desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.

5. In the terminal window, enter the following commands:

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/root
6. on your device go to bootloader and then to recovery 7. in the terminal enter the following commands
sudo ./step2.sh

8. When completed select the option apply an updated zip from SD and select busybox_tun_desire_signed.zip

9. when finished reboot.

And it worked for me... :huh:

When I try, I get < waiting for device > at step 1. You know what to do? :P

Guest Ottoman079
When I try, I get < waiting for device > at step 1. You know what to do? :huh:

i wish i could help you but i'm completely new to linux... It seems that your pc does not recognize your phone. Are you using an USB hub? if so, try to connect your phone directly to your pc and not via the hub, or try another USB port on your pc.

This is all i can say... i'm sorry :P

Guest 42turkeys
When I try, I get < waiting for device > at step 1. You know what to do? :huh:

Are you using a virtual machine?

Guest Dugh
Are you using a virtual machine?

Yes, I was. I've just putted it down on a cd and tried booting it and stuff. Now I can't even make a dir :S

I write: sudo mkdir /mht/cdrom

It says: "No such file or directory"

Heeeelp? :huh:

Guest Cooliocopter
Hi Paul,

I assume that reply is to the "remote: 43 main version check fail" issue msdl28712 and I are getting.

I've played around with this, and (while this is way outside my area of expertise) I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not a goldcard issue. The reasons being:

1) I have successfully used this goldcard before to load the 'RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_121865

exe" ROM

2) I've rebuild the goldcard just to be sure (from the goldcard.img I had in my email) after double checking the CID of the device

3) When I try it with a known bad goldcard (built with a different CID) I get a different error ("model ID check fail", not "main version check fail")

Soo...I'm wondering if it's my current ROM "RUU_Bravo_Telstra_WWE_1.16.841.1_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_1261

4_signed.exe".

To check this (and triple check the goldcard works) I decided to go back from the Telstra ROM to the Europe ROM which I was running previously. A couple of weird things. This is under Windows as I have done before...

Firstly, if I try to run the RUU when the device is in on the FASTBOOT screen, the RUU gets so far, then waits for the bootloader to start, which never happens. After 60 seconds it times out.

Secondly, if I boot the phone up, plug it in and select to connect as HTC Sync, the RUU gets further. It starts the bootloader and writes the ROM to the phone, but then fails with an incompatible bootloader error.

I believe this is different to what I saw before with a bad goldcard (I think that was incompatible device ID?). The bootloader does say 0.75 so I'm puzzled.

Can you confirm that we should be able to go backward to lower number ROMs with a goldcard and bootloader 0.75?

Also, is this the issue that you would expect to see if it was running the problematic 0.80 bootloader (maybe they patched some vulnerability without incrementing the version number in my ROM?)

Lastly, can you tell me what the "main version check fail" actually means?

I suspect I'm going to have to wait around with this branded ROM until another root hack is found, but any hints appreciated.

I am having the exact same issue as Zilch. I am on the same firmware, I believe my goldcard is fine yet I also get FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail).

I think the problem is the upgraded rom that we both applied? My bootloader also says its at 0.75.

Edited by Cooliocopter

Guest msdl28712
Yes, I was. I've just putted it down on a cd and tried booting it and stuff. Now I can't even make a dir :S

I write: sudo mkdir /mht/cdrom

It says: "No such file or directory"

Heeeelp? :huh:

is that a typo error mht should be mnt

Guest _Dejan_

Today Im update my unbranded Desire. Im using Windows methode without goldcard.

After root Im install A2SD step by step and make on my 8GB Class6 micro SD card:

SWAP 64MB

EXT2: 1024MB

FAT32: all other space

After partition Im "upgrade" EXT2->EXT3 and looks like all work OK.

Thanks Paul and MoDaCo users which are help writing easy root/A2SD guides...

Guest Dugh
is that a typo error mht should be mnt

Lol, yeah. Thanks.

Now.. another error. When I do "./step1.sh" (that line), it goes: "...FAILED" at the end of every action it makes (example: "pushing zip file... FAILED").

Help me, once again :huh:

Guest msdl28712

Turn off your HTC desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.

You doing via the ISO download

Guest Streetdaddy

From reading through the thread I'm seeing that there is a general consensus that using a Virtual Machine to load the ISO is not working due to problems connecting via USB. I am trying to do the root process on a Macbook Pro using VMWare Fusion and I'm not having much luck. I have connected the phone via USB and in VMWare you can see in the screenshot that the USB is connected (it identifies itself as 'High Android 1.0). But ./step1.sh is failing to connect to device and giving these 'FAILED status malformed' errors.

Has anyone been able to successfully complete the rooting process using VMWare Fusion?

Update: Just realised after pulling the battery and rebooting that my SD card is not being recognised. i get a message in alerts 'Blank SD Card - SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem.'

screenshot20100503at172.png

Edited by Streetdaddy