14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Snarkasm

That "useless app" now allows you to install other apps that require/request root access, and you can flash other ROMs on there that give you more/less/different functionality than the stock ROM Paul gave us.

Guest afiorillo
But why did I root my phone in the first place? Only for the useless app?:huh:

What does rooting do?

First of all it lets you install App2SD, giving you much more space for app installations.

Guest Dugh
That "useless app" now allows you to install other apps that require/request root access, and you can flash other ROMs on there that give you more/less/different functionality than the stock ROM Paul gave us.

How do I get Apps2SD then? I downloaded this file r1-a2sd-desire-signed.zip and putted it on the root of my micro sd.

Then I went into recovery mode and flashed the file.

But I can't see any difference. The apps is still saving on my internal space and not my micro sd.

Guest Jagdish

So that means A2SD issues all worked out? Since the A2sd link at the first page still sayin its temporarily offline, i assumed its still being worked on...

Guest Kyaqueroph

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum (and to the Andriod community), so pardon some of my beginners questions. It is only fitting that I have my first post here because I have successfully rooted my Desire (the first Android device I owned) thanks to this comprehensive guide. Have since expressed my appreciation by subscribing to the Adfree membership.

I have a question though:

Is there a procedure for me to use my Macbook for flashing and pushing updates to my Desire?

I had done everything so far (boot to Linux + rooting) with my work Windows PC but would very much like to avoid that in the future. From previous posts, it seems that there is a possibility to do everything through Mac and a few users are also using Mac, so it would be helpful if anyone can provide some guidance on this.

Thanks.

Guest Snarkasm

Kyaqueroph, from here on out, all you'll really need to do is get into recovery. Take the original pushfiles zip folder (should be on page 29 of this thread, in Paul's "old method" post), and run the Mac-specific pushfiles script to get into recovery. After that, everything's really done from the phone. You shouldn't need Windows anymore.

Guest charlie_boy
But why did I root my phone in the first place? Only for the useless app?:huh:

What does rooting do?

This made my day, hilarious! Please don't be offended but...

Why did you root your phone if you didn't know what rooting was? ; )

I am glad you did, eventually you will understand the benefit!

Guest Dugh
This made my day, hilarious! Please don't be offended but...

Why did you root your phone if you didn't know what rooting was? ; )

I am glad you did, eventually you will understand the benefit!

Lol. I lost my market widget thing, you know what to do?

Guest Kyaqueroph
Kyaqueroph, from here on out, all you'll really need to do is get into recovery. Take the original pushfiles zip folder (should be on page 29 of this thread, in Paul's "old method" post), and run the Mac-specific pushfiles script to get into recovery. After that, everything's really done from the phone. You shouldn't need Windows anymore.

Hi Snarkasm, thanks a lot for explanation. I will have a look at those posts.

Guest Fep1985

Hey,

thanks for your perfect guide!!!

I've made it yesterday and in the middle of the Update process I got a failure, but the flash process was completed with a restart automaticly.

My Desire has a Programm, called "Superuser allowance", now. But if I start the programm, I get an empty window.

That's not correct, isn't it? Shall/Can I repeat the rooting process?

Thanks a lot!

Fep

Guest RealUnknown

dear paul thanks in advance , but when i install arabic font the browser and market r force to close any fix for them in future?

Guest Streetdaddy
I tried rebooting. SD Card still coming up as 'Blank'.

So i've run ./step1.sh again in VMWare and it ran through ok, however now I'm at step 2 and it seems like there's something not quite right with my SD Card:

screenshot20100503at180.png

I'm now at the 'Android system recovery' screen, but based on the output of ./step2.sh I wasn't keen on doing the 'Wipe' option until I was sure that there is something to recover, so I selected 'Flash ZIP from sdcard' to get the list of zip's and check something is there, but I get this output at the bottom of the screen:

E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)

(I/O error)

E: Can't mount SDCARD:

So I'm a bit unsure what to do next ... i have this word 'brick' swimming around in my head :huh:

is my sdcard borked and this is why it won't mount? any ideas what I should do next?

can anyone else suggest any solutions to my problems above? Since going through step2.sh and the script being unable to mount my sdcard, the card is now unreadable. My phone can't format it, just thinks it's blank. I've also tried viewing it on PC, Mac and in gparted on a linux VM and none of them can see the card anymore. It was fine before I tried going through the rooting process. Any tricks or ideas for how I can get the sdcard reformatted correctly as FAT32 so I can rootedupdate.zip onto it and then flash? My phone still boots ok and gets to the first step of setup (asking me to choose my carrier), but I'm concerned that I'm only part way through the rooting process and perhaps this is not going to be a stable situation...

Guest 42turkeys
Hi Paul,

I assume that reply is to the "remote: 43 main version check fail" issue msdl28712 and I are getting.

I've played around with this, and (while this is way outside my area of expertise) I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not a goldcard issue. The reasons being:

1) I have successfully used this goldcard before to load the 'RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_121865

exe" ROM

2) I've rebuild the goldcard just to be sure (from the goldcard.img I had in my email) after double checking the CID of the device

3) When I try it with a known bad goldcard (built with a different CID) I get a different error ("model ID check fail", not "main version check fail")

Soo...I'm wondering if it's my current ROM "RUU_Bravo_Telstra_WWE_1.16.841.1_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_1261

4_signed.exe".

To check this (and triple check the goldcard works) I decided to go back from the Telstra ROM to the Europe ROM which I was running previously. A couple of weird things. This is under Windows as I have done before...

Firstly, if I try to run the RUU when the device is in on the FASTBOOT screen, the RUU gets so far, then waits for the bootloader to start, which never happens. After 60 seconds it times out.

Secondly, if I boot the phone up, plug it in and select to connect as HTC Sync, the RUU gets further. It starts the bootloader and writes the ROM to the phone, but then fails with an incompatible bootloader error.

I believe this is different to what I saw before with a bad goldcard (I think that was incompatible device ID?). The bootloader does say 0.75 so I'm puzzled.

Can you confirm that we should be able to go backward to lower number ROMs with a goldcard and bootloader 0.75?

Also, is this the issue that you would expect to see if it was running the problematic 0.80 bootloader (maybe they patched some vulnerability without incrementing the version number in my ROM?)

Lastly, can you tell me what the "main version check fail" actually means?

I suspect I'm going to have to wait around with this branded ROM until another root hack is found, but any hints appreciated.

I'm getting this error too. :huh: Can someone say what it actually means?

Guest afiorillo
can anyone else suggest any solutions to my problems above? Since going through step2.sh and the script being unable to mount my sdcard, the card is now unreadable. My phone can't format it, just thinks it's blank. I've also tried viewing it on PC, Mac and in gparted on a linux VM and none of them can see the card anymore. It was fine before I tried going through the rooting process. Any tricks or ideas for how I can get the sdcard reformatted correctly as FAT32 so I can rootedupdate.zip onto it and then flash? My phone still boots ok and gets to the first step of setup (asking me to choose my carrier), but I'm concerned that I'm only part way through the rooting process and perhaps this is not going to be a stable situation...

If neither your Desire nor your PC can see the card, it's likely screwed up. Try with another one...

Guest ElDiablo77
But why did I root my phone in the first place? Only for the useless app?:P

What does rooting do?

Sorry but if ur not sure why u did something or wh@ it does then u should not bother.

Rooting gives more access 2 the phone so th@ some apps can provide different services.

Or putting a custom Rom on ur phone with more features.

Guest Streetdaddy
If neither your Desire nor your PC can see the card, it's likely screwed up. Try with another one...

I am thinking this is the case... am going to buy another today and see if I can complete the process.

the slightly annoying thing is that it was the rooting process that killed the card... I have a feeling it may have been due to non-standard partitioning that it had from when I was using it in my Hero with MCR 3.2 and A2SD - perhaps the FAT32 wasn't the first partition and part of the script writing to it killed whatever was the first partition? But that is only one possibility... another is that it was something to do with using the TinyLinux ISO in VMWare Fusion on my Macbook Pro, but then there are others on here who were able to complete the rooting process with the same setup.

Anyway, I think it's fair to warn other users that the process may render their MicroSD card useless if it isn't blank or has non-standard partitioning....

Edited by Streetdaddy

Guest afiorillo
[...] the slightly annoying thing is that it was the rooting process that killed the card... I have a feeling it may have been due to non-standard partitioning that it had from when I was using it in my Hero with MCR 3.2 and A2SD [...]

Just like me. :P No, I don't think that was a root' fault. It just died.

Guest Fruchtzwerg
New simplified method online, made possible for Windows by nilezon. Cheers fella! :D

P

hey paul,

any news for the 0.80 bootloader root guide. :P

Guest Zilch
New simplified method online, made possible for Windows by nilezon. Cheers fella! :P

Is it different enough to be worth those of us getting the "main version check fail" problem to try again?

Guest Cooliocopter
Is it different enough to be worth those of us getting the "main version check fail" problem to try again?

I am also interested in this as I get the same error when trying to root using the livecd method.