14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest 42turkeys
ok am not that good at computers at all and have been searching for the whole day, before finally being forced to ask because am having trouble following this part of the instructions, and i am aware this might be simpl for othersd, but i just cant seem to get this please help me out as to hoe to follow this <Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.>, many thanks.

In windows cd is to change directory. So just do

cd /path/to/files

then follow it. :P

Guest abc27
In windows cd is to change directory. So just do

cd /path/to/files

then follow it. :P

Or just hold shift and right click in the folder where you extracted the files and choose open command prompt in this directory.

Guest Paul
Paul's just mentioned in the 0.80 bootloader topic that it's coming very soon! :D

Paul - Will the 0.80 root fix the 'Main version check' error some people are getting?

Yes it will. :P

P

Guest sipos

Awesome. Good work. Also, thanks for the explanation of the security measures/hurdles HTC put in the way - very interesting.

Impressive paranoia by HTC. Never ceases to amaze me how hard companies will work to cripple their products. Shame since they make such nice phones.

Any plans to try and get a backup solution working so we can make images of the operator ROMs? What are the hurdles to doing this? Surely, in theory, if you have root access you can read the existing ROM?

I'd like to be able to copy mine or, failing that, get hold of an Orange UK ROM, in case I need to get it repaired.

Guest embo

hi all. i'm get error on step2:

INFO[RUU]WP,system,96

INFO[RUU]WP,system,98

INFO[RUU]WP,system,100

INFOstart image[userdata] unzipping & flushing...

INFO[RUU]UZ,userdata,0

INFO[RUU]UZ,userdata,100

INFO[RUU]WP,userdata,0

INFO[RUU]WP,userdata,100

OKAY

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

ultra@ultra:~/Temp/root$ ./step2-linux.sh

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

any ideas?

Guest omesanni

Please could PAUL or any other person who has rooted their phone, put up a video on how 2 root the htc desire. PAUL have seen a lot of people wit problems trying 2 root their phone on windows 7.Do u have any solution yet to the error and when will u bring out a fix?. Also, I have an htc desire fone on d orange network and i want 2 ask if its possible 2 back up d ROM B4 rooting d phone and if so if it will be able to be restored to the network's e.g. orange ROM when necessary in case of warranty purposes.

Guest bob463

Do you recommend me to use r3 or r4?

It seems that the r4 is not so stable... (many people reported they have problems with it)

Can you please tell me where can I find the r3 instructions?

Thanks!

Guest marvi0
Or just hold shift and right click in the folder where you extracted the files and choose open command prompt in this directory.

ok thanks a lot maybe i should i should provide more info, what i ahve done is to download the files, in this folder here-Note: If you require the previous 'TinyCoreLinux' r3 build, you can download it here, MD5: 854bdbb3c5898b15f92b5991204c9288., so after downloading it, i then extracted it to a file on my desktop, and when i open the file i have extracted it to on my desktop, i see 2 files boot and root, is this this correct, and when i then follow the advice i ahve been offered by abc27 above am presented with a small black window that says

C:\Users\zhuru\Desktop\wwwwwww>

and what i then did is to follow the instructions, switch of my phone and put it in fast boot and i paste this step1-windows.bat on that window i opened for the command prompt , and i get this

C:\Users\zhuru\Desktop\wwwwwww>step1-windows.bat

'step1-windows.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

so what am i doing wrong please.

Guest 42turkeys
ok thanks a lot maybe i should i should provide more info, what i ahve done is to download the files, in this folder here-Note: If you require the previous 'TinyCoreLinux' r3 build, you can download it here, MD5: 854bdbb3c5898b15f92b5991204c9288., so after downloading it, i then extracted it to a file on my desktop, and when i open the file i have extracted it to on my desktop, i see 2 files boot and root, is this this correct, and when i then follow the advice i ahve been offered by abc27 above am presented with a small black window that says

and what i then did is to follow the instructions, switch of my phone and put it in fast boot and i paste this step1-windows.bat on that window i opened for the command prompt , and i get this

C:\Users\zhuru\Desktop\wwwwwww>step1-windows.bat

'step1-windows.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

so what am i doing wrong please.

Did you download the r3 TinyCoreLinux method?

Guest rvjacobs

@CSCHMITZ and others who are willing to help.

Hello, thank you for the effort to answer my question. It seems you are the only one who are willing to help or willing to think about it. I am from the Netherlands and there are some things in your answer that I do not quite understand. Your talking about using a generic "unroot". How do I do that and where can I find a generic "unroot"?

Also you are talking about Market Locale is not the problem but my bought content association. Whta do you mean by this? what is Locale and especially what is my bought content association.

And the last advice of you is to do a clean new install+root. Can you tell mewhere to find a clean install. I already installed and rooted twice now. Both with first installing the testruu from Paul through windows and after that I installed app2sd, the one with the clean davik cache or something. Did I use the correct Rom (testruu.exe) or do I need to use a different one?

Please help me again. I am stuck at this point.

Guest marvi0
Did you download the r3 TinyCoreLinux method?

yes i did why is this the problem because r4 not downloading please

Guest Archaon

i have managed to root my device successfully and have it up and running. I now noticed there is an additional post with an update file. What are the instructions too apply it post rooting please? Cheers

Guest 42turkeys
yes i did why is this the problem because r4 not downloading please

That uses a different guide. Open up to where you downloaded it, burn the ISO Image to a disk, turn off your PC, turn it back on with the CD in.

When it boots, at the bottom, click terminal.

Type:

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/root
sudo ./step1.sh
[/codebox]

Let that run then press power, then using volume up/down & power for select, go to 'RECOVERY'. Then type:

[codebox]sudo ./step2.sh

You're Done! :P

Guest marvi0
That uses a different guide. Open up to where you downloaded it, burn the ISO Image to a disk, turn off your PC, turn it back on with the CD in.

When it boots, at the bottom, click terminal.

Type:

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/root
sudo ./step1.sh
[/codebox]

Let that run then press power, then using volume up/down & power for select, go to 'RECOVERY'. Then type:

[codebox]sudo ./step2.sh

You're Done! :P

ok so is the r4 method better than this r3 one because when i tried to download the r4, it wasnt working, but i am now down loading r4, so do you reckon, i use the r4 method, because it doesnt involve, burning the cd?

Guest Bol2riz

Hi,

I was trying to access recovery mode but the .bat script returns no device. therefore I've launched the step 1 script.

I realised that I were wrong doing that...

The script is finished at this time could I stop here and reboot without being worried or should I run step 2 and finish the root process?

My phone is already rooted and works fine.

Thanks

Edited by Bol2riz

Guest Bol2riz

Ok... I've continued in the rooting process and launched the step2.

Paul,

My main goal was to do a nandroid of my device.

Now that I'm on the recovery mode (but after step 1 and 2), can I run a nandroid and simply reboot the device or does those two steps erased my rom and I've got now to apply the rootupdate.zip and reconfigure it from scratch?

Thanks

[solved]

Edited by Bol2riz

Guest hassand

hmm i couldnt check the topic for 5-6 days and a2sd links are gone, is it provided in the root now?

and if i have rooted without that do i need to root again to get a2sd now?

i probably think they are answered somewhere but its 70 pages now i looked through some pages and couldnt find it, so if someone who knows the answer could be kind enough to reply i would be glad.

thank you and sorry for asking a question that is probably asked or answered before

Guest DavidThack

Hi i done the kitchen rom and had problems with the nandroid backup so i used the install rom setting and it all loaded in ok and then when it switched off after writing the rom it now comes up with locked network please type your unlock sim code.

I tried doing the nandroid backup and the other nandroid bit but from phone menu it wouldnt do it .I take it that must have been the bit that saves my network information for sim.

Can anyone let me know what i need to type back in to unlock it back to Orange network.

Thanks,Dave.

Edited by DavidThack

Guest 42turkeys
Hi i done the kitchen rom and had problems with the nandroid backup so i used the install rom setting and it all loaded in ok and then when it switched off after writing the rom it now comes up with locked network please type your unlock sim code.

I tried doing the nandroid backup and the other nandroid bit but from phone menu it wouldnt do it .I take it that must have been the bit that saves my network information for sim.

Can anyone let me know what i need to type back in to unlock it back to Orange network.

Thanks,Dave.

Did you flash A2SD? Some people have had their network settings removed by this.

You could buy an unlock code off eBay for £10.50, looks like your only option if you didn't NANDROID :P

HTC Desire Unlock Code eBay

Guest fatwolf

I bought myself a gift of a HTC Desire yesterday.

One of the main things I use it for is providing net to my PDA via bluetooth.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of Bluetooth DUN support. I have tried pdanet but my PDA doesn't like it.

Anyway. My Desire has Software version 1.16.841.1 - The top of this thread has "1.15.xxx.x or below"

Does anyone know if this process works on 1.16 or is it a lost cause trying to root 1.16 right now?

Guest fatwolf
It does not, but a new version with 1.16 support will be online soon!

P

Thankyou for the response. I will keep an eye on this thread for news on the update.