14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest afiorillo
Mh, I've booted on my gentoo for root my phone, but I have problems.

First, I have a non operator phone, just brought on the net, so I can begin at the step 2, right ?

Wrong. The only thing you'll not need is the goldcard (you can use any MicroSD); but step 1 is mandatory.

Guest Ulrar

Ha, thank you, that's work better !

I've now have the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Permission denied (13)" .. damn.

EDIT : okay, solved with a "chmod -R 4755 files"

Edited by Ulrar

Guest gandalfmuaddib
When I´m root the phone, should I take out the sim card, or does´t matter ?

You can just leave it in. It doesn't matter.

Just make sure to use a goldcard if you phone is branded.

Guest PandaKiller

I have a doubt about bootloader and ROM 1.15 / 1.21.

My desire was root by rooting guide r1, so I have bootloader 0.75 and 1.15... ROM.

What is the difference between 0.75 / 0.8 bootloader and 1.15 / 1.21 ROM ?

Can I update to 1.21 only put the zip file no my SD? Without create a gold card again?

I have A2SD work fine. If I update to 1.21 I need to format and recreate news partitions on my sd card?

Worth update to 1.21?

Guest yojosefo

Increidible flawless, but I have to say that if you have the knowledge that most of the iphones dummies about computer and gadgets, it will be impossible, really impossible, Again THANKS! you saved the day man!

Greeting from Shanghai

Guest PaulW21781
I have a doubt about bootloader and ROM 1.15 / 1.21.

My desire was root by rooting guide r1, so I have bootloader 0.75 and 1.15... ROM.

What is the difference between 0.75 / 0.8 bootloader and 1.15 / 1.21 ROM ?

Can I update to 1.21 only put the zip file no my SD? Without create a gold card again?

I have A2SD work fine. If I update to 1.21 I need to format and recreate news partitions on my sd card?

Worth update to 1.21?

Personally, if your r1 method is running fine, then there is no reason to update to .80/1.21 r5 method.

I did mine originally with the r1 method, the only differences I have now are:

-modified A2SD to create A2SD+ with Dalvik, and further modified to activate Swap on boot

-Running richardtrips V11 ocuv kernel

-Running the latest Radio ROM

-Trimmed down the apps in the /system/app folder myself and removed Sense.

-Ported NexusOne bootloader animation from FRF50 Froyo release (same as Eclair one in all sense of the matter)

I can't see any reason myself to update it to 1.21. The only update I shall apply in the future will be Froyo when thats ready for general use (ie, its stable enough and works)

Edited by PaulW21781

Guest PandaKiller
Once you're rooted, there's no need to do it again...

P

And about update kernel to your r1.1?

I can update without clean data?

Guest PaulW21781
And about update kernel to your r1.1?

I can update without clean data?

You can flash the new kernel without wiping data yes :-)

I've changed my kernel three times so far and never once had to do a wipe.

Guest PandaKiller
You can flash the new kernel without wiping data yes :-)

I've changed my kernel three times so far and never once had to do a wipe.

It is nice to ear that. Thanks

Guest smkilani

Hi,

I have managed to make the first step work and as instructed I removed the SD card and replaced by another but now I cant run step 2. It keeps on giving me device not found...

I have also noticed that the bootloader is 0.80 now where it was 0.75 before. I assume that this means the first step was a success.

Please I need your help urgently!

Thanks,

Guest rhath127

hi guys,

i just got my desire today and wanted to root it - I have had several attempts but no luck.

my current Rom version is 1.16.841.1 with Hboot .75.

Everytime i try and follow the process i get the 130 error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Need to get all the Carrier branding and c*ap out of my phone. thanks

Guest StuMcBill
Hi,

I have managed to make the first step work and as instructed I removed the SD card and replaced by another but now I cant run step 2. It keeps on giving me device not found...

I have also noticed that the bootloader is 0.80 now where it was 0.75 before. I assume that this means the first step was a success.

Please I need your help urgently!

Thanks,

If your bootloader has went from 0.75 to 0.80 while you were doing step 1, you have done something wrong, this may be why step 2 isn't working.

You will now have to repeat the process using the 0.80 process I think.

Does your software version show test-keys?

Guest smkilani
If your bootloader has went from 0.75 to 0.80 while you were doing step 1, you have done something wrong, this may be why step 2 isn't working.

You will now have to repeat the process using the 0.80 process I think.

Does your software version show test-keys?

What do you mean by test-keys?

I have just realized that I have used the 0.80 files by mistake... i have reflashed using the 0.75 files and I am able to get to the recovery mode and see that mobile with the red triangle... I am still getting error: device not found message though when I run step 2.

Edited by smkilani

Guest StuMcBill
What do you mean by test-keys?

I have just realized that I have used the 0.80 files by mistake... i have reflashed using the 0.75 files and I am able to get to the recovery mode and see that mobile with the red triangle... I am still getting error: device not found message though when I run step 2.

When you go to Settings, About Phone, Software Information, Build Number, does it say test-keys or release-keys?

Are you using Windows?

I got the same error on step 2, and I had to insert the device, go to Device Manager, find the entry for your phone (while in the screen with the Red Triangle), right click and delete it, remove the USB cable, re insert it and let windows install the drivers again.

It worked for me anyway!

Stu

Guest smkilani
When you go to Settings, About Phone, Software Information, Build Number, does it say test-keys or release-keys?

Are you using Windows?

I got the same error on step 2, and I had to insert the device, go to Device Manager, find the entry for your phone (while in the screen with the Red Triangle), right click and delete it, remove the USB cable, re insert it and let windows install the drivers again.

It worked for me anyway!

Stu

It says release-keys... and yes i am using windows

Guest StuMcBill
It says release-keys... and yes i am using windows

Ok, well I think you need to do step 1 again, because your device should have a software version that says test-keys (this is for the 0.75 rooting method, I am not sure if the 0.80 one is the same)

And then try what I said about removing drivers etc.

Or maybe wait for someone who has done the 0.80 rooting process, as I am not 100% sure what the differences are?

Stu

Guest smkilani
Ok, well I think you need to do step 1 again, because your device should have a software version that says test-keys (this is for the 0.75 rooting method, I am not sure if the 0.80 one is the same)

And then try what I said about removing drivers etc.

Or maybe wait for someone who has done the 0.80 rooting process, as I am not 100% sure what the differences are?

Stu

No, I have managed to downgrade it back to 0.75. As I said I have mistakenly used the 0.80 files. Nonetheless, I have tried to remove the drivers and still nothing is working. :S

I dont know if this helps but windows is recognizing my htc desire as HTC Android Phone USB Device and it is under the Disk Drives category in the Device Manager.

Edited by smkilani

Guest StuMcBill
No, I have managed to downgrade it back to 0.75. As I said I have mistakenly used the 0.80 files. Nonetheless, I have tried to remove the drivers and still nothing is working. :S

I dont know if this helps but windows is recognizing my htc desire as HTC Android Phone USB Device and it is under the Disk Drives category in the Device Manager.

How did you downgrade it back to 0.75, because as far as I know no one else has managed to do that.

I think my device is seen as "My HTC" in device manager while in recovery mode.

Guest smkilani
How did you downgrade it back to 0.75, because as far as I know no one else has managed to do that.

I think my device is seen as "My HTC" in device manager while in recovery mode.

Well, I assume that most people who tried to downgrade had originally 0.80 but I started with 0.75 and flashed it to 0.80 by mistake.

Windows saw mine as My HTC once but not anymore...

Guest StuMcBill
Well, I assume that most people who tried to downgrade had originally 0.80 but I started with 0.75 and flashed it to 0.80 by mistake.

Windows saw mine as My HTC once but not anymore...

No I am pretty sure some people have upgraded from 0.75 to 0.80 and have not been able to downgrade. If you could post what you did, it may be of some help to the Devs?

Try removing it from windows, take out the USB cable and re-insert it. Let windows search and reinstall the drivers, it came up as My HTC on mine after that.

Guest smkilani
No I am pretty sure some people have upgraded from 0.75 to 0.80 and have not been able to downgrade. If you could post what you did, it may be of some help to the Devs?

Try removing it from windows, take out the USB cable and re-insert it. Let windows search and reinstall the drivers, it came up as My HTC on mine after that.

I would love to make it sound as a great achievement but all that I have done is redo the steps using the 0.75 file supplied, as simple as that. I am more than happy to supply more information but I cant see any differences between what I've done and what was said in the tutorial.

Anyway the whole driver plugging in-out business is not working for me :S i am so close to just giving up!

Guest 325i

I cant seem to find the online kitchen or download link for the r5 rom? Can anyone guide me please?

Lastly, has anyone got a changelog of all roms from r1 to r5?